Do You Leave WiFi On Even When You're Not Using It?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jw nyc, Oct 25, 2008.

?

Do you leave your wifi on always or turn it on/off as you need it?

1. Always on

73 vote(s)
    65.2%
  2. On/Off as needed

39 vote(s)
    34.8%
  1. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

Exactly what the question above states. Do you guys always leave wifi on or do you turn it on and off as you need it? I used to turn it on and off as I needed it due to battery life concerns but over the last few days I've left it on and the battery seems to be fine. Just curious what most do.

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Like Bluetooth, I only turn on WiFi when I need it and turn it off afterwards.

3. nyfinest32 macrumors regular

4. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

Always on, Dosnt make any difference to battery life for me

WiFi when at home, 3G/GPRS every where else

5. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

always on... it probably kills my battery, but I only need to charge every couple days as it is, so I don't care.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Once in a while I turn it off for long subway rides, if I know that I might not be coming home till the next morning or something, and won't be able to charge my iPhone.

7. andreab35 macrumors 6502a

andreab35

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

I turn on Wifi on only at my house, work, and places where I know have Wifi.
    I turn it off when I'm not using Wifi to save some battery.

8. SkippyThorson macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

Mine is on constantly. The only time it's off is at my college when I get 1 bar and I hit Airplane mode for a second to reset the signal. I get 3 bars then, and Wifi is right back on. I have no reason to turn it off really, it's not like the battery dies overnight on me.

9. bigmouth macrumors 6502

Always on, at least when I'm around wifi. It has very little impact on my battery life. Sometimes I'll turn it off when I know I'll be away from wifi for an extended period. But the only reason I do that is to avoid confusing my streaming audio programs with a network switch, not to conserve power.

10. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68030

I always leave it on. I'm around wi-fi on a regular basis, so toggling it on and off would be an inconvenience for me.

11. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I have a iPod touch, but imagine that I would do the same with an iPhone.

And that is, it depends. If I am moving between places with WiFi access then I leave it on. On the other hand, if I am on the train, for example, I will turn it off. Saves juice that way.

12. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

On/off only as needed for me.

The 3G signal at my house and at work has been good enough that I don't actually feel the need to turn on WiFi anyway. Now I really only use it when I know I can get free WiFi and my 3G signal is crappy, which is rare in Boston for me.

13. bigmouth macrumors 6502

You will burn a lot less battery using wifi even if your 3G signal is strong.

14. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

Always on unless I am short on battery or where I live part of the year in Laos where there is no wifi ever.

15. Excellerator macrumors 6502a

Mine is always on except if I am in the car using Pandora, Wunderradio, or Simplify. Then I turn it off so I doesn't try to connect to someone's wifi while driving around.

16. tylertech macrumors regular

Unless i'm in an area that I think has Wi-Fi, it's always off (I'm always trying to improve my battery life).

17. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

Whenever I use my laptop, I'm using the net. Rarely do I find myself in a place with no WiFi.

18. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Always on...I still seem to get decent battery life too. I'm on a first gen...

19. Psyxologos macrumors regular

+1

20. milani macrumors 68000

milani

Why would you turn it off when you're not using it? Haven't you noticed how whenever you put your phone in sleep mode it turns off by itself? Whenever you're actually using the phone it turns on, but chances are at least half the time you're using the phone you're using wi-fi related services anyway. Just leave it on.

21. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Lately I've been keeping it on 24/7 allong with 3G. That's because I rarely actually use it much anymore since I got my BB Curve. The battery on the iPhone lasts over four days with WiFi and 3G on and it would be much less if I actually used the phone.

22. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Pretty much what I do and think. Wifi on all the time, battery lasts all day with plenty of use. Bluetooth, now that sucks the juice fast.

23. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

Always on... If you turn it off, it won't search for networks that may be available.