Carrier Do you leave your iPad's cellular data switched on when around WiFi?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by zorinlynx, Mar 8, 2014.

?

Do you turn Cellular Data on your iPad off when not using it?

1. Yes, I turn it off.

21 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. No, it stays on all the time for constant cellular goodness.

26 vote(s)
    46.4%
  3. Sandwiches.

9 vote(s)
    16.1%
  1. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Just wondering if folks typically turn it off or they just leave it on so they can just use it whenever without having to flip any switches. I turn mine off when I'm going to be home for a long time so the battery doesn't drain.

2. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Mine's always on. I haven't really noticed a difference in battery drain either way and it's useful to leave it on for Find My iPhone.

3. HenryDJP macrumors 603

How so? If you're on wifi the iPad can be found anyway.

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I leave it on. Even though the poor signal in my house probably wastes more battery than it would with a better signal or having it disabled completely, I still can last about 3 weeks before recharging it. Plus, I wont have to worry about Findmyiphone being inactive if I forget to turn on cellular while leaving the house.

5. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Wifi disconnects after a while if the device is on standby. Oftentimes, I've already found my wifi-only iPad (usually in between couch cushions) before it's located by Find My iPhone. Meanwhile, cellular is always on.

6. zorinlynx thread starter macrumors 601

zorinlynx

This is only the case when cellular is on. When cellular is off the iPad keeps WiFi available at all times, otherwise push notifications wouldn't work.

It DOES sleep the chipset, but the chipset wakes up when it receives packets from the base station.

7. HenryDJP macrumors 603

My wifi on my Air never disconnects. I keep the cellular off. It chimes each time I get iMessages all day long when I'm not even using it.

8. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I turn it off to save 250MB monthly data plan. :apple:

9. Adonys macrumors regular

10. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

I have mine off cuz. I dont want it to switch to LTE when it is on stand by like it is on the iphone.

11. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

I shut it off unless I know I'll be using the cell data. That just makes sure that nothing silly happens and I end up wasting the data I have.

95% of the time I'm using wifi either home or at someone's house. It's when we are out and about where it comes in handy.

12. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

I leave it on, push notifications seem faster that way.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I leave it on, and just use wifi, basically that's how I use my iPhone as well.

14. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

To expand...

If stolen, best way to track.
    And
    I turn off cellular data to data hungry media driven apps. AppStore, Facebook, G+...

15. zorinlynx thread starter macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Four people have WiFi only iPads. Or were really hungry. ;)

----------

Interesting how we have a 50/50 split. I'm starting to lean towards leaving it on; I left it on all night last night and didn't even lose 1% of battery. It also doesn't seem to be wasting a lot of data while on.

So I change my vote! Cellular on all the time, baby.

16. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Hmm, maybe things have changed since. My last wifi-only iPad was the iPad 3 (had both wifi-only and Verizon versions) on iOS 5 and that was the behavior I noticed. I tend to misplace my devices quite often so having Find My iPhone regardless of whether the device is connected to wifi or not is a big consideration for me.

17. Kangda macrumors member

I only turn on cellular data when needed. I'm only on the free T-Mobile 200mb plan, so I want to minimize draining the 200mb.

18. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

i keep mine on airplane mode with wifi, then turn airplane mode off to use it.

19. iZollo macrumors regular

iZollo

Always leave cellular on with my unlimited data plan :) battery is about the same with it on or off.

20. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

+1. My cellular stays off unless I need it, then I flip it on. Trying to avoid stuff pushing data and draining that 200mb plan.

21. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I have the same plan. Keeping cellular on doesn't waste much, if any, data. I have never gone over my 200MB once.

22. JackieInCo macrumors 601

Depends on the carrier.

If Verizon or AT&T, I can't keep it on while at home which is the only place I am usually at that has WiFi. I can't leave it on at home because neither carrier has ever been able to give me anything faster than edge speeds at my house.

If on T-Mobile, I can leave it on on cellular while at home and usually do,

23. CEmajr macrumors 601

I might start turning it off unless I actually need to use it. Was watching the Watch ESPN app the other day and got a notification that I was already almost blown through my 200MB because the iPad disconnected from WiFi while I was watching it without me knowing.

24. bniu macrumors 6502a

I leave it on. With a 10GB data share account, I don't really have to think about my usage at all. Most months I only use about 5GB total, so nowhere near my limit. Now if only ATT would offer rollover data.........