Do you leave your Macbook (new or old) on all the time?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MacLadybug, Oct 21, 2008.

1. MacLadybug macrumors 6502a

MacLadybug

When you are finished using your Macbook for the day (or night) do you just shut the lid or do you shut your MB down. Do you plug into power or just wait until it needs to be recharged? What's the best practice to maintain a long battery life?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

24/7/365 on AC power when I can. I do run the battery down once in awhile though.

3. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I have a Macbook Pro and when I'm done with it, I just shut the lid and let it sleep. I only plug it in when it needs to be charged or if I'm downloading something and I need to leave the house.

4. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

I just close the lid. I take mine home from work every day. Other than that it's always plugged in.

I never turn off my macs. Just put them to sleep.

5. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

My first gen ('06) MB is on (or asleep) all the time. Most of the time it's plugged into a wall outlet and I only use the battery when a wall outlet is unavailable.

The only time that my MB is off is during a re-boot for updates and when I perform a battery calibration. -GDF

6. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

I just close the lid. If it needs charging (when the alert comes up) i plug it in but other than i try and use the battery as much as possible.

I try and turn it off like once a month just to clear any virtual crap and restarts for updates but other than that just let it sleep :)

7. MacLadybug thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacLadybug

Do you travel with them on or off?

8. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

I tend to keep the battery out my laptops and connect it directly to the AC adapter. I only attach the battery when i'm moving about, which is not much.

9. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

I leave mine on when moving around. Which is probably why my HDD has failed twice! :)

10. MacLadybug thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacLadybug

You mean you physically remove the battery?

By the way, I saw your video on the loose battery cover... you have my condolences.

11. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

Thank you, appreciate that.

Yes, the battery is physically out. I don't want the battery to lose its lifespan thus I take it out when not required.

12. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I travel with my MBA asleep, as I did with my iBook and TiBook before. Then it's always ready to wake up and get to work. I leave it plugged in and asleep at night. If I'm going on a short trip (like a weekend or something) I don't bring the AC adapter -- if you will only be using the computer for a few hours, it will easily last the weekend while sleeping.

I probably go through batteries a little faster than optimal (I've replaced batteries on both the TiBook and iBook), but it's worth it to me to have the option of using the computer right away whenever I need it.

13. Aztec macrumors regular

Then you lose power. The MacBook doesn't run at full capacity when the battery is removed.

14. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

You may want to check out what Apple has to say about that.

15. justind.clark macrumors member

Personally I have mine unplugged whenever I need freedom but otherwise it's plugged in. I leave mine on usually, I just turn it off when I am done for the night and I was in XP or if I just installed the updates.

16. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

Same, except I run the battery down once in a GREAT while.

17. chrisjarmstrong macrumors member

Mine usually is plugged in all the time unless I forget!

18. Ryffie macrumors member

What happens when you put it to sleep? Are all processes halted and how much battery does it consume during sleep?

19. mattyb240 macrumors 6502a

In case you didnt know, when the battery is fully charged it switches straight over to the mains power. So tbh what you are doing is a complete waste of time.

20. Winter Charm macrumors 6502a

Winter Charm

then you might seriously want to consider a SSD. but lol they are like $500 for a 128GB.

you might as well save yourself the trouble by powering off before you travel!

21. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

Really? So does it still run through the battery (which i thought was bad) or just work straight off the mains?

22. Winter Charm macrumors 6502a

Winter Charm

while this is ture... some older laptops dont do this (all the apple macbooks and ibooks do... but my old sony has a 30 minute battery life because the laptop kept charging it and i didnt realize that until it was too late :(

that's why i'm tired of sony, tired of windows, tired of toshiba, and i want a quality macook :apple:

23. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

lol yea i was thinking of the SSD but its fair to expensive for the little space!

Im going to start to try and turn it off but i love the lift the lid and ready to roll :)

24. mattyb240 macrumors 6502a

Off the mains apparently according to my sisters mate who is a mac genius as this was my main concern before getting my macbook pro. He wreckons you can leave it plugged in, just use the battery a couple times a month to discharge it an charge it.

25. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

Amazing! This makes it a lot easier for me now :) i always worry about making sure when its fully charged to unplug it to save the battery... :) thanks guys/girls :)