Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
I have a pair of what I think are geek glasses, but they're a traditional shape/style so they're pretty mainstream.

I used to wear them selectively, but my wireframed jobs done broked. :( I wear the geekery ones out of necessity now.

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 9, 2008
Are these fine for a guy or is the color too feminine?

2jff44.png

May 8, 2008
Are these fine for a guy or is the color too feminine?

The tortoise shell is fine. I'm actually going to be getting a pair of those in a couple of months.

As the other posters have pointed out, the angle on the pair in the image are a little feminine due to the more pointed angle.

EDIT:

Actually, taking into account how they're angled in the photo, they are not that feminine. I would guess it's a unisex frame or even a mens frame.

Last edited:

Sydde

macrumors 68030
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
My first pair of glasses were true nerd style, but that was over 40 years ago. They were the black nylon frames, you could bend the temple bar in a full circle without coming close to breaking it. Contacts were a definite improvement as far as style (and much nicer in the rain).

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Yeah, my last two pairs have been thick black frames. The current ones I have are by DKNY and are kinda squared.

I personally like the way the lenses fit in them, especially since I have a strong prescription. Traditional frames are too thin and with the thick glass in them and the constant pulling off and on, they fall out. The only problem I've had since switching is that one of my temples snapped off two years later. Has been much, much easier to maintain them.

plainwhitetay

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2010
North-east, Indiana
A) New Wayfarer
0RX5184__2000_SHINY_BLACK.jpg

B) Old Wayfarer

RaybanRX_eyeglasses_RX5121__2000.jpg

What looks better?

I have prescription lenses in the smaller size of new wayfarer. Had them for about 3-4 years, and it's one way people identify me at school. :p

About 2 years ago I got prescription sunglasses of the exact same frames. Sometimes I wish I'd got old wayfarer or at least the bigger size. But I absolutely love my Ray-Ban wayfarers. :D

In regards to which looks better, standalone I prefer the old wayfarer, but "better looking" really depends on whose wearing them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.