Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yentrog31

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2009
RGGnDFW
I haven't used my home button in months.I always thought that it was the weakest point on the phone esp now with double-click.The only time I use the home button is for a hard reboot when my phone got stuck a while back.Don't miss it a bit.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2007
Using an Android device as my temp phone right now, I honestly do not like that touch sensor button and don't think I'd enjoy it as the iPhone's home button. I really like the physical button. And while I really like the idea of the iPad article posted the other day (remove home button and 5 finger pinch as "home button", I don't think it would serve well on the iPhone. It would look amazing with a flawless and button-less front, though.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Yes, I love the Home physical button on the iPhone, as it allows me to turn on the phone quickly without having to go to the wake/sleep button. This is one thing I don't like on my Nexus One as I can only wake the phone using the slim wake/sleep button that is sometimes hard to press. The iPhone's home button is much easier as it's where your thumb usually goes. I really hope Apple don't get rid of it.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2007
I use the No Lock app on my Incredible, so I can just click the trackball (or volume keys) to wake up.

Luck!

Yes but then you risk touching and calling people in your pocket. I wear scrubs all day and if I forget to lock my phone, I end up calling people, opening apps, etc.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I like the Home button, but I would be willing to try an iPhone without one to see if I like it better. I just don't know without trying it.

Dezinformatsiya

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2011
My issue with the home button is how loud a click it makes when pressed, making surreptitious calling far harder. The function of it, though, is good.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2007
Here's an idea (not sure if I would actually like it, though). What if the added a button somewhere along the side where the volume buttons are to serve as a home button so would barely have to remove your thumb. Yes, I know some people are left handed. :p

Gil2264

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2009
Eliminate all buttons...make it water/dust proof.

I say "Eliminate all buttons...make it water/dust proof."

Just my ¢2

sdm1985

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2008
Guys, how awesome is this and it's very likely that it could happen!

The current sleep/wake button will act as the current home button with one click, two clicks puts the phone to sleep and holding it down for three seconds switches the phone off!

That would make way for a slightly larger screen or a smaller iPhone 5!

C'mon Apple!

mobiletech

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2010
If the home button goes away due to a bigger screen then I am fine with it, but a touch screen button would be better.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
They just need to add a quick bluetooth on/off button/function to any of the current buttons.

For example change the mute button to be able to be used as we want and to mute use the volume down all the way down.

duction

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2010
U to the K
Maybe they won't have a touch screen button at all like in the mock up but if thus does come to the surface it won't be used till iPhone 6 when the looks get revamPed

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.