Do You Love/Hate The NEW 17'?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hartattack, Mar 11, 2009.

1. hartattack macrumors newbie

hartattack

After days and days of constantly reading blogs and posts on if the 17' MBP was really worth it. I finally made the decision..
    I LOVE MY 17" MBP!
    Specs are listed in my siggy.

For those of you that got the new 17'...

Do you LOVE or hate it?
    AND
    why?

And if you don't have one, what are your thoughts on it?

2. catdog02481 macrumors regular

catdog02481

I like mine (2.66 stock glossy with intel SSD) and it has become main machine; have the glossy screen (**99 variant) and it's quite bright (slighly less than my retina burning 15") and feels solid. Battery life noticeably better than 15" running around 4.5 hours routine. Also because it is solid, it does not feel as big as my prev. gen 17"

I have a 160gb X25 installed in it and it flies. Having said that my 2.8 15" has the same drive and feels noticeably faster, maybe because of the lower screen resolution?

Overall very happy, no complaints...

3. bushbaby macrumors 6502

bushbaby

I saw it at the Apple store today. FINALLY -- the screen I'm used to, the one without all the reflections!

I wanted a 15" though... anyone know the weight of the 17"?

4. hartattack thread starter macrumors newbie

hartattack

Its about 6.6 pounds according to the site.

5. amitdoc2b macrumors 6502a

Its a love and hate relationship. Sometimes its bright enuf and sometimes I feel its not. Otherwise its definitely beautiful!! :)

Can't live with her, can't live without her.. the Apple of my eye!!

6. blitzraider macrumors member

I sent mine back because the screen started to move off of alignment. Will be getting a new one over the weekend. It's actually kind of ironic, the cleargaurd and the invisible shield and the other accessories is just lying around, but the laptop is not in sight....

7. simonpickard macrumors regular

Same specs as the one I've ordered! (Not turned up yet though! Boo!)
    How are you finding the matte screen? Happy? Any chance of any photos?

Also.. if you have a sec and you run bootcamp could you run a small free benchmark for me called cinebench and post the results? I'd be most grateful if you could do this! :)

Enjoy your mac!

Regards,
    Simon

8. suburbiton macrumors member

Wow!! I want one! A MacBook Pro with a SEVENTEEN FEET screen?!

9. The Grue macrumors newbie

You can get the new Apple iPickup Truck to carry it around. Unfortunately, if you go over 10 miles per hour, it overheats and you have to get the engine replaced. :D

10. ksmith80209 macrumors 6502a

And all the controls are on the seatbelt strap...

11. bossxii macrumors 68000

lol... but hey! it does talk to you..doesn't that make everything better?

BTW.. Love my 17" MBP. I had a 15 UMBP prior but wanted the higher screen resolution and the battery. I've been running 5 to 6 hours easy with it based on my usage.

12. zentient macrumors newbie

Very, very happy!

I'm very happy with my 17" MBPub. I could gush on about the screen, the build quality, etc., but I'd be repeating what so many others have said.
    Three thumbs up! :D

13. Pagga macrumors 6502

Pagga

Closer to the Artic circle than I like to be
    I´m absolutely LOVING the new 17"
    I´ve had several generations of Dell laptops, all 15", usually with maxed out specs.
    This is soooooooo much better in every respect. Leaving Windows behind was a big relief as well.
    I have had an Imac for some time (pluss y wife has a 13" macbook) so I was aware of the Apple quality.
    But the beauty, slimness, pureness and power of this notebook is something else.

After 15 years of computers, writing, gaming, surfing and editing. I will not hesitate to say the move to Apple in 08-09 has been the BIG revolution with me.

Cheers
    P

14. NStocks macrumors 65816

Love it. Would love it more had it not been my first Mac ( I had a 15" unibody).

The screen is better in terms of vibrancy and gamut ( not going to start a brightness thread!)

It seems a little faster, the 3 USB ports are handy, battery is excellent

The only part I hate is that I didn't switch to Mac sooner... and the price could be a bit lower :p

15. stepheneleven macrumors member

stepheneleven

I absolutely loved mine until I got those blue lines all over the screen. They are replacing it, so hopefully i get a good one this time. Glad to see so many people loving theirs, makes me feel confident that I that i was just unlucky and got one of the bad ones. Altough it didnt make me feel good when i went in to the retail store in my city and played a couple of videos off their trailer page on their display model and got the lines to show up in a matter of minutes. But like i said hopefully i can post a reply in this thread next week with a more enthusiastic outlook.

16. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

I LOVE my 17 foot Laptop ;-)

* * But it weighs 1400 lbs and gets REALLY HOT... :D

So I bet you mean 17"... which I don't have.. YET... ;)

:apple:

17. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I just came back from the Apple Store to take a look at the 17" matte version on display today and while it was pretty dim, once I got used to playing around with it for 5-10 minutes the colors do look very nice.

If you reinstall the OS and indeed if it is true that the brightness goes up much higher, I would think the 17" unibody mbp would be very nice. I did love the build quality for such a big machine it felt pretty small with the unibody and you guys were right the lid stays up and it is very very strong. I held it up at a 90 degree angle and it didnt even budge or try to budge.

I'm seriously considering a 17" now lol. I really wanted a mac pro but those are way too overpriced but the 17" seems to be the one priced well for the 2.66GHz model.

Oh and one other thing I'd like to add is that the 17 inch's speakers blew me away. I was shocked at how loud it was in the middle of the HUGE Apple Store and while it was busy too. I had to turn down a few notches down.

18. MarkSTi04 macrumors regular

I really dont know if I like it or not. I havent seen it yet. I will say that when apple updated the 15"MBP to the 17" specs, it made me kinda happy with my perchase even more. Yeah I would love to be running 8GB of ram in my MBP but I can settle with the 4GB for know and just upgrade to 6GB (or 8GB if there is a way to make it work by that time) later on. I got to go check out the 17" just to see what everyone is talking about on here. ;)

19. James Cole macrumors 6502

Yeah I like it a lot, and I will like it more when the screen brightness issue is fixed... Which could be very soon.

20. capriseyhaze macrumors regular

capriseyhaze

I loooooovvvvvveeee my macbaby hahaha thats what i call her. Its by far the best comp i ever had. Its runs great no lag in pro tools no lag in any app. I dont have the screen or gfx card issues and its beautiful

21. applevik macrumors member

I love it! Years of Windows-based Dell machines... and an occasional HP, Toshiba or Compaq thrown in for good measure. I just find the MBP17 to be all that and a bag of chips. ;)

22. Kerem72 macrumors newbie

Unibody MacBook Pro 17 inch

Actually, i'd like to have one. But the problems that i read made me worried. You know, faulty video card (should have i said faulty screen? who knows) and overheating during Windows session.

23. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Love it. I've had it since 2/26, the stock 2.66 configuration. Best design Apple (or anyone) has come up with yet. It feels extremely solid - like a single piece of Aluminum. Wait - it IS ;)

One of the best features, I've found, is the glass trackpad. Whatever texture they came up with, ALWAYS feels silky smooth, no matter how dry or moist my finger is. It feels like my old trackpad did after cleaning with iKlear/Klearscreen, except this one is always that way.

Mixed feelings on the single trackpad button, but the extra real estate is worth it.

4-finger Expose doesn't matter that much, as I've been used to hot-corners.

I never thought I'd get a glossy screen, as I do photography/graphics, but the extra "snap" to it really helps text. I usually don't have any other light sources in this room, so reflections have been zero (it's the xx99 module).

It runs cooler than my 2.33 C2D 17", though I haven't run it at max. I've had it running the CPU/GPU to 180F, and fans up to around 4000 RPM. Bottom warm (I can keep hand on it), top barely warm. Can't really hear fans until they're well above 3000 RPM.

My ONLY real complaint: video redraw glitches - the full or partial flash/flicker. I've been logging conditions for a few days now, and it's not temperature or CPU/GPU load. It's now appearing to be only with the 9600M, which is the opposite of other reports I've read. This isn't the green line or streak problem some have reported, and not backlight. There are a couple examples on YouTube. At this point, it really looks like a driver issue (and I've heard hints Apple is working on it). For many reasons (a perfect, zero dead pixel display being one of them), I'm going to just ignore it for now.

24. Kerem72 macrumors newbie

Folks, i hope to see mobile i7 processor on MacBook Pro in the near future. Is there someone to share my thought?

25. James812 macrumors member

Love my Unibody 17" MBP! I never had a problem with it yet and play in bootcamp tf2 and Fallout 3 for up to 6-8 hours at one time (With manually setting the fans at 5000rpm b4 playing ;) )

It is my first mac, but really i don't see the big deal with osx....