iPad Do you mostly thumb or finger type on your ipad?

Well?

• Ipad 1/2/3/4 owner and i mainly finger type

Votes: 16 19.0%
  • Ipad 1/2/3/4 owner and i mainly thumb type with one piece board

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • Ipad 1/2/3/4 owner and i mainly thumb type with split board

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Ipad air owner and i mainly finger type

Votes: 21 25.0%
  • Ipad air owner and i mainly thumb type with one piece board

Votes: 13 15.5%
  • Ipad air owner and i mainly thumb type with split board

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • Mini owner and i mainly finger type

Votes: 9 10.7%
  • Mini owner and i mainly thumb type with split board

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • Mini owner and i mainly thumb type with one piece board

Votes: 7 8.3%

• Total voters

Misskitty

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
Just curious. I think full size ipads are better meant for finger and propped on a lap or desk. And the mini, thumb for handheld experience.

If you own both, then go by the one you use the most.

Tell me how you mainly type.

Last edited:

rmhop81

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
Dallas, TX
Just curious. I think full size ipads are better meant for finger and propped on a lap or desk. And the mini, thumb for handheld experience.

I'm guessing you don't have anything better to do. R u shooting for 40 threads created in 30 days????

JGWolven

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2013
Is this a post about how the world is in a frenzy over thumb input devices rather than crazy coocoo full sized tablets that require both hands and proper homerow finger placement?

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX

I'm guessing you don't have anything better to do. R u shooting for 40 threads created in 30 days????
She is clearly making this thread so that she can tell all of us that do anything different than her that we are wrong. :)

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2003
I always just hold my Air with one hand and type with the other. It's not like the older revisions that were so heavy that I had to prop them in a keyboard cover and rest in on my lap or belly.

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2012
I could never get used to two hand typing on an iPad. the full size keyboard is still too cramped and the angle of the iPad itself is odd.

The most comfortable typing experience for me is the iPad mini with split keyboard and typing with thumbs.

shortcut3d

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2011
I've actually used the split keyboard since the iPad 2 through iPad 3, Mini, Air and now rMini. I type fairly long business email messages on a daily basis, and of course forum posts.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
I will admit that feels great. Have you tried split on the air with thumbs?
On the 4 I use split keyboard with thumbs. On the mini it's full keyboard with thumbs. I do have really large hands though, men's XL gloves tend to be a tight fit (to give you a clue).

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2003
Two hand typing all the time for me on my Air. Love it. Never got into thumb typing. It's annoying.
No thumb typing for me either though. I can't see 2 handed typing though. I hold my Air in my left hand and type with the right. To type with 2 hands, I'd have to put it on my lap or some surface. I've gotten pretty used to 1 hand typing.

Misskitty

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
On the 4 I use split keyboard with thumbs. On the mini it's full keyboard with thumbs. I do have really large hands though, men's XL gloves tend to be a tight fit (to give you a clue).
It takes more skill to thumb type IMO. I dont get why so many want to finger type on airs as you have to prop it on something all the time. What are they gonna do when theyre out somewhere? Look for somewhere to rest it to type?

I dont know about you but i much prefer the keyboard size on the mini when one piece, mainly caise the keys arent stupidly huge. Smaller keys, less finger travel, results in faster typing for me. Like seriously, is it really nessecary to have the keyboard that huge on the air?

Like szu on here said,the mini is a true tablet and the air is a laplet.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
It takes more skill to thumb type IMO. I dont get why so many want to finger type on airs as you have to prop it on something all the time. What are they gonna do when theyre out somewhere? Look for somewhere to rest it to type?
If you are sitting down, it is possible to rest the full size iPad on your lap and finger type. I don't do it myself (I thumb type) but I know people who do.

I dont know about you but i much prefer the keyboard size on the mini when one piece, mainly caise the keys arent stupidly huge. Smaller keys, less finger travel, results in faster typing for me. Like seriously, is it really nessecary to have the keyboard that huge on the air?
Well, I, for one, find the mini's keyboard too small. The keys are too close together, making me hit the wrong ones all the time. It just shows that people are different, and what works for you doesn't necessarily work for me, and vice versa.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA

Like szu on here said,the mini is a true tablet and the air is a laplet.
Like I said, my hands are huge. That being said, the mini is harder to type on because my fingers are huge as well and I tend to hit 2 keys at the same time which messes me up. The iPad keyboard size is perfect for me. I split it from time to time but can work either way. In landscape mode, I finger type with all 4 fingers of each hand (much like the regular computer keyboard) and have never had an issue.

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
Like I said, my hands are huge. That being said, the mini is harder to type on because my fingers are huge as well and I tend to hit 2 keys at the same time which messes me up. The iPad keyboard size is perfect for me. I split it from time to time but can work either way. In landscape mode, I finger type with all 4 fingers of each hand (much like the regular computer keyboard) and have never had an issue.
Yeah, but isn't the positioning of your iPad awkward as a result?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.