Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applefan289

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
USA
I just suggested to a friend who has no Apple products that he should sign up for an @me.com email. I just googled the email and a bunch of sites say you have to have iOS5 to get it.

I created a free @me.com email myself from OS X Lion 10.7.2 under "iCloud" in System Preferences. I did not really use an iOS5 device to create an @me email for myself.

So, can he sign up for it like regular webmail or does he have to be within the Apple ecosystem? If he needs to be in the Apple ecosystem, can he pay for an @me email?

I told him to go with the @me email because I like the web interface. So he won't be using anything else other than the email part.

Is this feasible? And is it worth the switch for someone who already has a Gmail (he said he would look into the @me email).

NorfolkMustard

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2007
UK
need iOS or OSX. You could always create it for him? - NB there is a limit to the number of iCloud accounts each iOS/OSX device is allowed to create.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    144.8 KB · Views: 75

TannerH

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2009
I just suggested to a friend who has no Apple products that he should sign up for an @me.com email. I just googled the email and a bunch of sites say you have to have iOS5 to get it.

I created a free @me.com email myself from OS X Lion 10.7.2 under "iCloud" in System Preferences. I did not really use an iOS5 device to create an @me email for myself.

So, can he sign up for it like regular webmail or does he have to be within the Apple ecosystem? If he needs to be in the Apple ecosystem, can he pay for an @me email?

I told him to go with the @me email because I like the web interface. So he won't be using anything else other than the email part.

Is this feasible? And is it worth the switch for someone who already has a Gmail (he said he would look into the @me email).

Just go to the Apple store. Or you could create an iCloud account for him in Lion (they allow up to four accounts per computer I think)...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.