Do you own a Booq Vyper case? Step inside...

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by ZBoater, Aug 23, 2011.

1. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

How is the accessory pocket working out for you? In the pictures there is an external hard drive, and the specs say the charger will fit, but it seems to me that when you close that case those accessories are going to be a very tight fit against the MBA. Is it very tight? How will the MBA be protected do you think if you were to drop it while inside this case packed with your accessories?

2. zerind macrumors member

I've got one and honestly i don't see the charger fitting in it terribly well. I fit a compact flash reader, memory cards and my aircard in it with no problems as well as a few other misc. items comfortably but I'm not sure I see the power supply fitting without a bit of bulk added to the case. Perhaps without the extension it might be doable. I dunno, i'll give it a shot later and report back.

3. ZBoater thread starter macrumors G3

ZBoater

Thank you. I was afraid of that. I am wanting a case where I can bring my charger, superdrive, external hard drive, and cables all in one neat package. This is the closest I've found but am hesitant because it looks like too tight a fit. Looking forward to your comments once you've taken another look! :D

4. toi macrumors member

incase has a nice one for all that,it has two big pockets outside

5. ZBoater thread starter macrumors G3

ZBoater

What I am seeing on their website is nylon bags and sleeves. I am hoping for some more protection.

6. Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

You may need to shift your thinking from sleeve/case to messenger bag if you want to fit all of that at once.

7. slapguts macrumors 6502a

slapguts

I got a Brenthaven Trek bag when I got my first gen MBA, and am still in love with it. Hard sides, lots of padding, and a pocket big enough for the charger, a superdrive, and various cords plugs and other junk. It's over 3 years old, has been all over the US and Europe, and looks brand new.

http://www.amazon.com/Brenthaven-Trek-Sleeve-Notebook-sleeve/dp/B002MOIYWS

8. mcdonap macrumors member

I have a Booq Vyper. I like it, I feel like it will protect the MBA, but I don't keep anything in the inside pockets. I don't feel like there's enough room for the charger, so I carry it separately. I keep the Vyper in a soft briefcase along with all my other stuff I need for the day. That was my plan from the start, so it's not like the Vyper isn't doing what I bought it for.

If I wanted to just carry the MBA with the cord and any other supplies I'd need just for it, I think I'd probably have to go for a messenger type bag.

9. ZBoater thread starter macrumors G3

ZBoater

Thank you, that is what I was afraid of. The picture and advertising on their website is quite deceiving then, because it seems (and it says) that those things should fit, but looking at the case laid open with the accessories in the pockets, it doesn't seem like it would close, and if it did, it would be a very tight fit.

I am looking for a case I can put inside a larger bag that I can carry all my MBA accessories in. Therefore it should be as small as possible. I already have a briefcase, so getting another bag is not what I am wanting. What I am looking for is for a Booq Vyper - as they advertise it. :D

10. robvas macrumors 68020

Very cool case but I wanted something I could put my charger in so I got an STM Jacket, Extra Small.

I will still probably ask for the Booq at Christmas time ;)

11. titanflyer macrumors member

I have the booq viper for the 11 inch and I carry a Sprint Overdrive, my iPhone4, and my headphones in it with the air. It does make it tight, and lowers the protection against dents, but man is it nice to just simply take that out on a plane and have everything I need in it. If the air was the only thing in it, I think it would protect it from most damage in a fall, but not from very high. You need a sleeve built to protect if thats the case. There really isn't anything I have seen to do all of what you want.

12. ZBoater thread starter macrumors G3

ZBoater

The sprint overdrive is pretty big. How much bigger/smaller is it than the charger? That is exactly what I am wanting - a slip case that can carry the charger, the external hard drive, and some cables, along with the Air.

Grrrrr, I might just bite the bullet and buy it. If it doesn;t work there is always eBay. :D

13. Allan in T.Dot macrumors member

Got one but I def. don't put the charger in there. I just put paper, USB keys, business cards, but that's it. That photo they've got up online? Crazy how they could actually fit that stuff in there.

14. unagimiyagi macrumors 6502a

The Hard Candy bubble shell is what you want for the macbook air. The Vyper's pockets are entirely useless as many will attest. They add weight and thickness to the case. The Hard Candy is what you want. It looks a little juvenile (that's their Juicy Coutre copycat MO, and it's odd considering their team consists of middle aged males) but it's the best case out there. Neoprene cases are an order of magnitude of protection worse than any semi-rigid shell (all figures approximate). You can just set your backpack down normally again when you have a hard candy (or a vyper). You can't do that when you have a neoprene case.

15. ZBoater thread starter macrumors G3

ZBoater

I was afraid of that. Thanks for the input!

----------

I currently have the Speck shell which I like, and it still fits inside a Knomo leather case or Bodhi black leather case. Carrying the Air is not my problem. I am wanting to carry the Air, charger, cables, and external hard drive without having to carry a backpack. IF the Booq Vyper worked as advertised, that's what I want. But logic told me that case wouldn't close right, and so far the feedback I am getting from owners is validating that. I may save myself the hassle of buying it and returning it, and just keep looking for a Booq Vyper that actually works. :D

16. New2MacOS macrumors member

I have the Viper and I use it for my MBA 11 i5. The Viper has some flex to accommodate the charger along with the MBA inside. I have tried doing so a couple of times, but I won't do it often--the bulge is noticeable.

I use the pockets to carry papers and a Verizon MiFi card, but that's it. Hope this helps.

17. ZBoater thread starter macrumors G3

ZBoater

It does help, thank you. The more feedback from owners I get, the more I am convinced the advertising is a bit misleading, and the case won't do what I want it to do. Thank you! :)

18. major7 macrumors member

I have a booq viper as well. when i first bought it i couldnt carry the charger as well until i learned how to....you have to roll the wire like in this picture ive just "dropboxed":

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/39407809/Photo%2026-08-11%2001%2035%2038.jpeg

I only carry the mba, its charger and iphone charger but i ocasionally put some papers or anything light. Its very compact and force us to keep it simple ;)

19. ZBoater thread starter macrumors G3

ZBoater

Very interesting! So would an slim external usb drive also fit do you think?

20. butters149 macrumors 6502

Can u fit a MBA and an iPad 2 into the booq case?

21. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

I adore my Vyper. Best laptop case I've ever owned. However, there is no way in hell I'd try to fit any MagSafe charger in it along with the laptop. It does fit a MBA + iPad/Kindle (DX) and a few other small items very well, though.

22. JRM60 macrumors newbie

23. misterbig macrumors member

You're exactly right. I've owned 2 Booq bags and both times I was disappointed to find that it's impossible to fit as many items into their bags as their website images indicate. I love Booq's products, but their marketing shouldn't resort to such tactics when their products are good enough to sell themselves.

24. ZBoater thread starter macrumors G3

ZBoater