Do you own a Mac Mini Server Unibody 2010 ?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by donnib, Jan 9, 2011.

1. donnib macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I am looking to hear from people having this Mac mini model. I have one and my 3 HD is broke eg. bad blocks. Both HD died after couple of days. Got a replacement and now have one more HD with over 100 bad blocks !!!!.

I interested to hear from people having this model if they have experienced problems with their Mac Mini Server.

I don't know what causing these problems. Temperature seems fine below 50C on the CPU and around 35C for HD.

donnib

2. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

How are you getting repairs done? apple store?

3. vert18 macrumors member

I have one, running smoothly.... if it wasn't for 10.6.6 it would of been up straight for over 70 days.

Bad blocks.. hd failure is why I wish they would make the mini server drive be able to be hotswapped out... and one more nic(for 2network cards) in it and it would own everything. ;)

4. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

I have the older one and it is perfect. Been running as our server for over a year. I've been looking at the refurbs to buy one of the smaller 2010 but if they are burning out drives I might stick with the thicker one for $749.

Cheers,

5. California macrumors 68040

California

Mine's running perfect. Do you have anything on top of the Mac Mini server or is it in a boxed in place? Remember, hard drives fail under intense heat and the all aluminum enclosure of these unibody mac mini's is a heat sink.

The enclosure IS a heat sink. So keep it clear of stuff so the heat can dissipate off the drives...

6. donnib thread starter macrumors newbie

Apple Authorized Repair Shop

7. donnib thread starter macrumors newbie

No i don't have anything on top of it. I keep it standing up with the vent pointing out. As i mentioned in my first post i believe it's very cool in terms of temperature. It's only 35C = 95F (the HD).

8. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

I would send an email to the Apple store and detail the repairs. I would include a copy of this thread and ask for a new replacement. My rasoning would be this is a lemon item. If they say no Tell them every day yo uwill record temps 3 times and if it breaks again you will just ask for another hdd. Also tell them you will purchase apple care and that you will end up getting about a dozen or more replacements. This mean replacement now will say them a lot of money.

9. donnib thread starter macrumors newbie

That's probably the only way i can solve the problem definitely. I have now sent it to repair today again. This will be the last time before i request a replacement from them.