Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bgro

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2010
South Florida
Will be updating on Day 1 unless the features mainly consist of Siri upgrades and Maps. I can live without that. But if there are major upgrades to apps/functionality (which I'm assuming there will be) then I will 100% be upgrading the day of the keynote. Looking forward to it!

wineandcarbs

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2008
Nah, I typically wait to see what the general feedback is before updating. I'm not much of an early adopter with things.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Yes. Bad things seem to happen when you delay an OS update.
Not updating has no negative consequences whatsoever.

If one is happy with the feature set of the OS the phone came equipped with, it's not going to self destruct for no reason.

My wife likes her iPhone just as it is. She'd rather spend her time shopping rather than acclimating to a change in the way her phone works with the latest upgrade. Year after year, she is very satisfied therefore I'm not about to change anything.

MyNameIsDave

macrumors member
May 28, 2012
Blighty
When I updated to 5.1.1 from 5.1.0, my iPhone broke and I had to return it under warranty. I'll leave it a while before upgrading to a new OS, particularly with a major upgrade like iOS 5 to 6.

w00t951

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Not updating has no negative consequences whatsoever.

If one is happy with the feature set of the OS the phone came equipped with, it's not going to self destruct for no reason.

My wife likes her iPhone just as it is. She'd rather spend her time shopping rather than acclimating to a change in the way her phone works with the latest upgrade. Year after year, she is very satisfied therefore I'm not about to change anything.

I suppose you don't care about privacy fixes, bug fixes, or security exploits? I hope your wife isn't shopping on her iPhone; older iOS versions contain several security exploits.

BlindMellon

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2011
I suppose you don't care about privacy fixes, bug fixes, or security exploits? I hope your wife isn't shopping on her iPhone; older iOS versions contain several security exploits.
Do you have some examples where people's phones have been exploited?

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Her use in not that of a typical smartphone enthusiast. Only using a small fraction of it's capabilities, she prefers calling her friends, and texting. Rarely does she use it to access the web. That's something she does at work or at home. In fact the only reason she has an iPhone is because I gave her one.

We all have different interests & priorities, it's just a phone to her :)

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
I agree but I always end up upgrading immediately because these major updates are so damn appealing. I'm certain Apple will announce something in iOS 6 that I will be craving for months before the update becomes available to me. So when it does arrive, I'll be among the first trying to download and get it loaded onto my device. :)

Same thing here.

Bojan

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2011
Chicago
It really depends on what iOS 6 brings to the table. For the time being I am really happy with the 5.1.1. Works like a charm

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.