Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you going to switch?

• Yes

Votes: 92 24.8%
  • No, staying with iPhone

Votes: 175 47.2%
  • No, I'll go with another platform

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • Considering it

Votes: 101 27.2%

• Total voters

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
I still don't know how you as a fact know who asked Apple for what and who "we" are? But you are under no obligation to update to iOS 11. I will be installing the dev beta in a few weeks after the major kinks are ironed out.

Because this redesign is just for the sake of it. It doesn't offer extra utility over the current and looks horrible. All they had to do was allow customisation on the existing one.

I obviously have to tolerate that CC if I want those mouthwatering iPad features.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Because this redesign is just for the sake of it. It doesn't offer extra utility over the current and looks horrible. All they had to do was allow customisation on the existing one.

I obviously have to tolerate that CC if I want those mouthwatering iPad features.
It might not offer any utility or might look horrible to someone, it might not to someone else. Just as is the case with any other design for pretty much anything out there.

Reactions: I7guy

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
One thing for certain is hype related to Apple releases (os/hardware) is way over-blown and ultimately leads to huge disappointment. When I read those ios11 leaks, they sounded so actual and confirmed that I kind of believe that the actual release would not deviate so much. But man...those leaks are so far off the mark

So now it makes me I wonder whether those Iphone 8 leaks will kind of follow the same path.

Reactions: Demo Kit

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
One thing for certain is hype related to Apple releases (os/hardware) is way over-blown and ultimately leads to huge disappointment. When I read those ios11 leaks, they sounded so actual and confirmed that I kind of believe that the actual release would not deviate so much. But man...those leaks are so far off the mark

So now it makes me I wonder whether those Iphone 8 leaks will kind of follow the same path.
It's often mostly people's hopes and wishes rather than actual leaks (although at times there are actual leaks here and there, especially very close to actual events). Nothing exactly new or strange about that. Many people end up reading too much into things or getting their hopes up based on wishful thinking just because, but it doesn't mean there's actually something more to it all than the typical wishes and hopes.

Reactions: I7guy

macsforever

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2014
New iPhone 8 renders based off the leaks:

iphone-8-benjamin-geskin-800x666.jpg

Am I the only one that thinks the top of the front looks weird with the sensors "dipping" into the top screen? Will those top two corners show stats, like time, battery, etc. only? What about when watching content or playing games? Is it just me or is that going to get weird?

Well go design one better lol

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I'm not sure anyone asked for that ugly mess.
But i am sure tons have asked for widgets on the home screen. They havent listened to that.....
That's why I suggested on their own timeline ...
[doublepost=1496738312][/doublepost]

It offers a heck of a lot more than currently offered, and, our belove, 3dt is used to facilitate that.

Last edited:

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Those clueless adults, teenagers and grandparents you speak of are 95% of smartphone users. Your also generalizing quite a bit. I'm a techy that prefers iOS at this point, am I clueless?
Exactly

The amount of people in the world who would like to use some of those android features are very slim. They just want a phone that works well and maybe that syncs with their iPad and MacBook. They want a safe operating system that gives them access to simple apps and email.

I'm a techy but I prefer IOS over android as it simple works a lot better for all my devices. Each to their own but to say those who like IOS better are clueless is a foolish statement.

The fact if I want unlimited notifications without deleting any that only works with Apple. With android you need to delete some as there's a limit which is stupid. A big factor for why iPad is always going to be the tablet of choice.

IOS 11 wasn't ground breaking for the iPhone but boy it was great for the iPad. It didn't need a major overhaul anyway. It's fine as it is and lock screen widgets is all I need now for quick access.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Exactly

The amount of people in the world who would like to use some of those android features are very slim. They just want a phone that works well and maybe that syncs with their iPad and MacBook. They want a safe operating system that gives them access to simple apps and email.

I'm a techy but I prefer IOS over android as it simple works a lot better for all my devices. Each to their own but to say those who like IOS better are clueless is a foolish statement.

The fact if I want unlimited notifications without deleting any that only works with Apple. With android you need to delete some as there's a limit which is stupid. A big factor for why iPad is always going to be the tablet of choice.

IOS 11 wasn't ground breaking for the iPhone but boy it was great for the iPad. It didn't need a major overhaul anyway. It's fine as it is and lock screen widgets is all I need now for quick access.
This was only an overview of iOS 11; the meat comes in September.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
Exactly

The iPad with iOS 11 is a pretty awesome bit of tech heck it may even make me buy one.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY

It may look a bit different and refined when it actually releases. Only first beta right now.

Reactions: Shanghaichica

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
It's often mostly people's hopes and wishes rather than actual leaks (although at times there are actual leaks here and there, especially very close to actual events). Nothing exactly new or strange about that. Many people end up reading too much into things or getting their hopes up based on wishful thinking just because, but it doesn't mean there's actually something more to it all than the typical wishes and hopes.
Judging from what happens launch date, it seems there are a fair amount of people being hugely excited.

IMO, Those that are hugely disappointed weren't really going to buy an iPhone anyway.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Exactly

The iPad with iOS 11 is a pretty awesome bit of tech heck it may even make me buy one.

I missed the entire keynote yesterday as I was working and only started to sift through the info late last night. My very initial impressions from what I first read and from comments here was dissappointment with the overall updates. However, I really hadn't seen the changes in iOS 11 for the iPad and I'm actually now quite blown away. Huge functional changes like this have been absent from Apple for years and as someone who spends a majority of my time using an iPad Pro, I'm super excited. Yes, I'm bummed we didn't see more for the iPhone but IMO, the iPad needed this sort of paradigm shift far more than the iPhone and I can't wait to start using these changes.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
I missed the entire keynote yesterday as I was working and only started to sift through the info late last night. My very initial impressions from what I first read and from comments here was dissappointment with the overall updates. However, I really hadn't seen the changes in iOS 11 for the iPad and I'm actually now quite blown away. Huge functional changes like this have been absent from Apple for years and as someone who spends a majority of my time using an iPad Pro, I'm super excited. Yes, I'm bummed we didn't see more for the iPhone but IMO, the iPad needed this sort of paradigm shift far more than the iPhone and I can't wait to start using these changes.

iPad changes look awesome, but count me as one of the folks greatly disappointed that there wasn't much there for iPhone. Certain things I realize probably weren't going to change - i.e. I hate the current notification set up and look. In part that's tied to something that's clearly not going anywhere: 3D touch. I'm not a huge fan, and it feels like they keep forcing use cases on us vs creating legitimate solutions to legitimate problems.

And as someone who has defended Apple against complaints that they overhype things that aren't new or unique, yesterday's event almost played out as a parody written by someone who hates Apple. An audience cheered for a FILE MANAGEMENT SYSTEM. At one point they showed a new and "magical" trick with video recording in which you can loop the same action over and over. Like, y'know, a f*cking gif.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
That's why I suggested on their own timeline ...
[doublepost=1496738312][/doublepost]
It offers a heck of a lot more than currently offered, and, our belove, 3dt is used to facilitate that.
Offered nothing apart from a redesign and kiddie animations which will slow down older devices even more. That blur in the background and that animation on top is a GUARANTEE that theres going to be stutter on all phones except the newer ones. Its basically a normal iOS 10 CC with 3DT functionality wise. Nothing beloved about this as my 2 year old Android tablet can jump into settings via long press.

The iPad got the REAL iOS update. Now THAT is what I call an update. This iOS 11 stuff on iPhone can all be done via Play Store on Android

It may look a bit different and refined when it actually releases. Only first beta right now.

I doubt it. The iOS 10 CC did not change iirc.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
I just think this brand new super cool looking iPhone 8 that looks like from the future, will look super strange running a dated looking iOS that style wise is still set in 2013, where the phone looks like it's 2018. iOS needs a refreshed UI to go along with the Star Trek looking iPhone 8. When you get the brand new iPhone 8, you will drool over how cool and sleek it looks in amazement, and then turn it on "pew pew pew" Atari graphics, and super dated looking. Like buying a band a new C7 Corvette Z06 and then open the doors and it has the interior of the C4 1984 Corvette.

Why wouldn't people at least want some of the popular JB tweaks to become part of stock iOS ? Why would you be against that ? Super simple easy updates like; icon packs and dark mode theme. And just some simple customization like allowing you to place an app icon anywhere on the screen. Or a true file manager. And setting option of default apps you prefer.

Those would be very easy for Apple to do, and not sure why people say they don't want that ? That's cool, don't use those optional tweaks, but at least allow them to be there.

Last edited:

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
iPad changes look awesome, but count me as one of the folks greatly disappointed that there wasn't much there for iPhone. Certain things I realize probably weren't going to change - i.e. I hate the current notification set up and look. In part that's tied to something that's clearly not going anywhere: 3D touch. I'm not a huge fan, and it feels like they keep forcing use cases on us vs creating legitimate solutions to legitimate problems.

And as someone who has defended Apple against complaints that they overhype things that aren't new or unique, yesterday's event almost played out as a parody written by someone who hates Apple. An audience cheered for a FILE MANAGEMENT SYSTEM. At one point they showed a new and "magical" trick with video recording in which you can loop the same action over and over. Like, y'know, a f*cking gif.
Whats actually funnier is that some users actually criticised the file management apps on Android and were saying its good that iOS doesnt have it and that making "silos" of files via apps is more efficient than the file management system and that uploading and downloading via Dropbox was more efficient as well. A classic foot in the mouth moment for them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Demo Kit

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Judging from what happens launch date, it seems there are a fair amount of people being hugely excited.

IMO, Those that are hugely disappointed weren't really going to buy an iPhone anyway.

I'm hugely disappointed, and was planning on buying an iPhone 8. But as I've said before, the majority of Apple consumers most likely could care less. They use their iphones for core functions, phone, messaging, pictures, facetime. Most research shows that consumers only download a handful of apps and that's it, ever. Apple knows their user base, that's they their phones fly off the shelves.

I still wonder at things like the lack of a dark mode. Do a search and you will see hundreds of articles of tech authors begging for this. I just find it hard to believe that consumers are truly ok with a blinding white on off white screen in the middle of the night when their spouse is trying to sleep, or maybe their spouses are more forgiving than mine. They implemented that theatre mode for the apple watch, so they must have some awareness that bright lights in dark places isn't good. I'm more so disappointed because of the IP8's OLED screen, dark modes just work so incredibly well with OLED.

Oh well, I'm still hopeful as it's only in beta. I know they also have the smart invert feature which seems interesting and kind of mimics what Microsoft does with high contrast themes, which I absolutely love and is the absolute best solution for a dark mode. If Apple can beef up the smart invert to match what Microsoft has then they will actually leapfrog Android in a big way in terms of dark mode.
[doublepost=1496760458][/doublepost]

Yeah I'm baffled why the iPhone didn't get any of the ipad changes. I mean, I get it that Apple wants to differentiate the ipad as a "computer", or at least the primary device in their post PC era. But those features would be hugely beneficial on the iPhone as well. I really love Microsofts approach in that your smartphone will become your computer, and by hooking it up to a larger screen you will get full desktop functionality for it. But Apple seems like they still want to keep the iPhone tightly corralled as only having the function of a phone.

It w ill also be ironic and amusing to see all the trolls who said iOS didn't need a file system now turn on a dime and praise Apple for implementing such a revolutionary feature.

Reactions: Zaft and Radon87000

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Offered nothing apart from a redesign and kiddie animations which will slow down older devices even more. That blur in the background and that animation on top is a GUARANTEE that theres going to be stutter on all phones except the newer ones. Its basically a normal iOS 10 CC with 3DT functionality wise. Nothing beloved about this as my 2 year old Android tablet can jump into settings via long press.

The iPad got the REAL iOS update. Now THAT is what I call an update. This iOS 11 stuff on iPhone can all be done via Play Store on Android

I doubt it. The iOS 10 CC did not change iirc.
Well okay, that's your opinion. I have no doubt iOS 11 will not only be faster than iOS 10, but will be a massive update. Whether it's universally liked by those on MR, is a different story.

I have a feeling 3dt is going to get even better than it is. You can have your long press.
[doublepost=1496761715][/doublepost]
I'm hugely disappointed, and was planning on buying an iPhone 8. But as I've said before, the majority of Apple consumers most likely could care less. They use their iphones for core functions, phone, messaging, pictures, facetime. Most research shows that consumers only download a handful of apps and that's it, ever. Apple knows their user base, that's they their phones fly off the shelves.

I still wonder at things like the lack of a dark mode. Do a search and you will see hundreds of articles of tech authors begging for this. I just find it hard to believe that consumers are truly ok with a blinding white on off white screen in the middle of the night when their spouse is trying to sleep, or maybe their spouses are more forgiving than mine. They implemented that theatre mode for the apple watch, so they must have some awareness that bright lights in dark places isn't good. I'm more so disappointed because of the IP8's OLED screen, dark modes just work so incredibly well with OLED.

Oh well, I'm still hopeful as it's only in beta. I know they also have the smart invert feature which seems interesting and kind of mimics what Microsoft does with high contrast themes, which I absolutely love and is the absolute best solution for a dark mode. If Apple can beef up the smart invert to match what Microsoft has then they will actually leapfrog Android in a big way in terms of dark mode.
[doublepost=1496760458][/doublepost]

Yeah I'm baffled why the iPhone didn't get any of the ipad changes. I mean, I get it that Apple wants to differentiate the ipad as a "computer", or at least the primary device in their post PC era. But those features would be hugely beneficial on the iPhone as well. I really love Microsofts approach in that your smartphone will become your computer, and by hooking it up to a larger screen you will get full desktop functionality for it. But Apple seems like they still want to keep the iPhone tightly corralled as only having the function of a phone.

It w ill also be ironic and amusing to see all the trolls who said iOS didn't need a file system now turn on a dime and praise Apple for implementing such a revolutionary feature.
After wwdc I was excited for the future products. I agree I believe imo most consumers will not be as critical as those on a fan site.

And the turn your phone into a desktop computer has been tried before and failed.

As far as what the tech authors blog posts want I'm not sure they represent the average Apple consumer; although Apple isn't stupid and does seem to provide worthwhile updates with each release.

As far as the file system, I can almost bet it's not a windows free for all and those who don't want to use it can continue to use iOS as if there was no file system.

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
I think what's great about iOS and iPhone is that it runs apps made by both google and Microsoft pretty well.

One drive, Microsoft office apps, gmail, google maps, etc are all updated regularly for the iPhone so you can be pretty confident if you hate all of apples cloud and productivity services and keep the piece of mind of AppleCare. Regardless of what anyone says about the iPhone or how boring iOS is, their customer service is still the best and is most convenient if you live by an Apple Store.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Well okay, that's your opinion. I have no doubt iOS 11 will not only be faster than iOS 10, but will be a massive update. Whether it's universally liked by those on MR, is a different story.

I have a feeling 3dt is going to get even better than it is. You can have your long press.

You call this faster?

Atrcociously slow. Absolutely horrible. Its performing like a device running ANdroid 4.0. I really am feelin scared about my 7 Plus. 5S and 6 are unusable on iOS 11.

As far as the file system, I can almost bet it's not a windows free for all and those who don't want to use it can continue to use iOS as if there was no file system.
Its the exact same as on Android and even on Android you dont need to use file system if you dont want to. Also on Windows
[doublepost=1496764135][/doublepost]Remember iPhone 7 was defeating Google Pixel on iOS 10 speed tests? Guess what? Now the Pixel is beating it on speed tests

Classic case of planned obsolescence.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
You call this faster?

Atrcociously slow. Absolutely horrible. Its performing like a device running ANdroid 4.0. I really am feelin scared about my 7 Plus. 5S and 6 are unusable on iOS 11.

Its the exact same as on Android and even on Android you dont need to use file system if you dont want to. Also on Windows
[doublepost=1496764135][/doublepost]Remember iPhone 7 was defeating Google Pixel on iOS 10 speed tests? Guess what? Now the Pixel is beating it on speed
Okay you are comparing a production operating system against a first product beta?:rolleyes: To each their own.

And wasn't it you who said you don't trust YouTube videos as they can be altered? I'll leave it at that.

I'll find out about the 5s, I'm updating it tonight. I'll bet it's far from unusable.

Last edited:

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012

[doublepost=1496761715][/doublepost]
After wwdc I was excited for the future products. I agree I believe imo most consumers will not be as critical as those on a fan site.

And the turn your phone into a desktop computer has been tried before and failed.

As far as what the tech authors blog posts want I'm not sure they represent the average Apple consumer; although Apple isn't stupid and does seem to provide worthwhile updates with each release.

You know what. After seeing the ios11 beta running on iPhone video, I think those iPhone programmers are incompetent idiots. They can totally screw it up with tonnes of bugs when all they did was to program incremental changes using an existing stable ios 10 base.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
You know what. After seeing the ios11 beta running on iPhone video, I think those iPhone programmers are incompetent idiots. They can totally screw it up with tonnes of bugs when all they did was to program incremental changes using an existing stable ios 10 base.
How could anyone know anything about how iOS 11 was developed. And isn't that what betas are for? Or are people expecting beta=production.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
You call this faster?

[doublepost=1496764135][/doublepost]Remember iPhone 7 was defeating Google Pixel on iOS 10 speed tests? Guess what? Now the Pixel is beating it on speed tests

Wha? You're not really comparing a beta to a finished OS, are you? What am I missing here?

Reactions: Zaft
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.