Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you going to switch?

• Yes

Votes: 92 24.8%
  • No, staying with iPhone

Votes: 175 47.2%
  • No, I'll go with another platform

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • Considering it

Votes: 101 27.2%

• Total voters

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
And the turn your phone into a desktop computer has been tried before and failed.

As far as what the tech authors blog posts want I'm not sure they represent the average Apple consumer; although Apple isn't stupid and does seem to provide worthwhile updates with each release.

As far as the file system, I can almost bet it's not a windows free for all and those who don't want to use it can continue to use iOS as if there was no file system.

We'll see how Microsofts implementation goes, I'll bet it's a big hit. It won't be a huge system seller, but it will make money for MS like the surface pro's do. I'm not sure who else tried it and failed, Samsungs implementation isn't really the greatest. The power Microsoft has behind them is they have built a system where you can have major x86 programs run on a smartphone, they also have a framework where programs can turn into apps depending on if the phone is used as a phone or docked, and they've made great strides in making it easier for devs to port other mobile apps, and also x86 programs into the ecosystem. Once again I don't see it setting the world on fire, but I do see it being popular in the enterprise world and some in the consumer world and being valuable.

The file system, oh you can bet Apple will hamstring it and only open up things like media files and such. Still, it's an improvement over what was there before, but I'll bet it will still be a far cry from a real file system.

Tech authors I would say have the ears of many consumers. Take someone like Walt Mossberg, he's very popular and not just with tech enthusiasts. While I say that many Apple consumers are happy with simplicity, by the same token many many Apple consumers are also technically inclined and listen to the tech blogs. No Apple isn't stupid, but they do know how to do just the minimal amount of upgrades that consumers will feel deserve their money.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I just think this brand new super cool looking iPhone 8 that looks like from the future, will look super strange running a dated looking iOS that style wise is still set in 2013, where the phone looks like it's 2018. iOS needs a refreshed UI to go along with the Star Trek looking iPhone 8. When you get the brand new iPhone 8, you will drool over how cool and sleek it looks in amazement, and then turn it on "pew pew pew" Atari graphics, and super dated looking. Like buying a band a new C7 Corvette Z06 and then open the doors and it has the interior of the C4 1984 Corvette.

Why wouldn't people at least want some of the popular JB tweaks to become part of stock iOS ? Why would you be against that ? Super simple easy updates like; icon packs and dark mode theme. And just some simple customization like allowing you to place an app icon anywhere on the screen. Or a true file manager. And setting option of default apps you prefer.

Those would be very easy for Apple to do, and not sure why people say they don't want that ? That's cool, don't use those optional tweaks, but at least allow them to be there.

They'll want it when Apple wants it.

And really, what choice do they have if they want to stay with iOS? They can only get the iPhone. So whatever (and whenever) Apple offers in hardware and software, people will learn to appreciate it then. With Android, we have more options.

But if Apple doesn't want to, say, do large screens yet, then people won't appreciate large screens until Apple changes their minds. If Apple doesn't want to allow more features and customization in their software, people won't appreciate those things until Apple changes their minds. Ditto for things like wireless charging, facial unlock, a bezel-less design, gesture-typing, and so on and so on.

Nothing wrong with that, per se, but there's not much you can say to people like that, is there? (That's why I'm not sure why people like @Radon87000 bother -- You're not Apple. In fact, you're walking into a trap and feeding into people who won't change their minds about anything until Apple does it for them.)

A jailbroken iPhone was a far better experience than a stock iPhone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tig Bitties

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
You know what. After seeing the ios11 beta running on iPhone video, I think those iPhone programmers are incompetent idiots. They can totally screw it up with tonnes of bugs when all they did was to program incremental changes using an existing stable ios 10 base.
Sounds more like a case of lack of understanding of what's involved in OS and general software development lifecycle.
[doublepost=1496768900][/doublepost]
You call this faster?

Atrcociously slow. Absolutely horrible. Its performing like a device running ANdroid 4.0. I really am feelin scared about my 7 Plus. 5S and 6 are unusable on iOS 11.

Its the exact same as on Android and even on Android you dont need to use file system if you dont want to. Also on Windows
[doublepost=1496764135][/doublepost]Remember iPhone 7 was defeating Google Pixel on iOS 10 speed tests? Guess what? Now the Pixel is beating it on speed tests

Classic case of planned obsolescence.
More like a classic case of confirmation bias.

Last edited:

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
You call this faster?

Atrcociously slow. Absolutely horrible. Its performing like a device running ANdroid 4.0. I really am feelin scared about my 7 Plus. 5S and 6 are unusable on iOS 11.

Its the exact same as on Android and even on Android you dont need to use file system if you dont want to. Also on Windows
[doublepost=1496764135][/doublepost]Remember iPhone 7 was defeating Google Pixel on iOS 10 speed tests? Guess what? Now the Pixel is beating it on speed tests

I have been in previous betas and I can tell you comparing a Beta 1 to final makes zero sense.

Reactions: MRU

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Not upgrading this year so I will hopefully pick up a 2017 iPhone 'whatever the number is' on a cheaper contract in 2018. By then the bugs will be ironed out and hopefully i'll be as happy with the performance as I am currently with my 6S.

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
I just think this brand new super cool looking iPhone 8 that looks like from the future, will look super strange running a dated looking iOS that style wise is still set in 2013, where the phone looks like it's 2018. iOS needs a refreshed UI to go along with the Star Trek looking iPhone 8. When you get the brand new iPhone 8, you will drool over how cool and sleek it looks in amazement, and then turn it on "pew pew pew" Atari graphics, and super dated looking. Like buying a band a new C7 Corvette Z06 and then open the doors and it has the interior of the C4 1984 Corvette.

Why wouldn't people at least want some of the popular JB tweaks to become part of stock iOS ? Why would you be against that ? Super simple easy updates like; icon packs and dark mode theme. And just some simple customization like allowing you to place an app icon anywhere on the screen. Or a true file manager. And setting option of default apps you prefer.

Those would be very easy for Apple to do, and not sure why people say they don't want that ? That's cool, don't use those optional tweaks, but at least allow them to be there.

No doubt about it. I actually was more interested in iOS 11 than the iPhone 8 this year -- was hoping for some software features that I like on Android to make their way over to iOS. Didn't happen. Don't see anything making me want to switch back to iPhone this year. We'll see how the hardware looks, but I'm not willing to deal with the software.

You call this faster?

I am still salty about what iOS 7 did to my iPad 2 after have owning the device for only two years. Night and day performance difference -- for the worse.

And man, what a slouch my iPhone 5 became by the time iOS 9-10 rolled around (particularly iOS 10). Granted, the iPhone held up much better than the iPad (better hardware, mind you), but still.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
They'll want it when Apple wants it.

And really, what choice do they have if they want to stay with iOS? They can only get the iPhone. So whatever (and whenever) Apple offers in hardware and software, people will learn to appreciate it then. With Android, we have more options.

But if Apple doesn't want to, say, do large screens yet, then people won't appreciate large screens until Apple changes their minds. If Apple doesn't want to allow more features and customization in their software, people won't appreciate those things until Apple changes their minds. Ditto for things like wireless charging, facial unlock, a bezel-less design, gesture-typing, and so on and so on.

Nothing wrong with that, per se, but there's not much you can say to people like that, is there? (That's why I'm not sure why people like @Radon87000 bother -- You're not Apple. In fact, you're walking into a trap and feeding into people who won't change their minds about anything until Apple does it for them.)

A jailbroken iPhone was a far better experience than a stock iPhone.
Also, not everybody has the same level of enthusiasm for tech as you guys on here. I would say most of the people I know use their smartphones for the basics like messaging, social media, camera, etc etc. They don't follow tech trends or research into what is available in the market. Those on iPhone upgrade to an iPhone because it's the only choice they make. As you say, nothing wrong with that, they just have difference priorities and interests.

I used to get the latest and greatest but my priorities have changed these days. I still do the same tasks on my iPhone that I did in 2012 and figured I don't need to pay top whack anymore.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Also, not everybody has the same level of enthusiasm for tech as you guys on here. I would say most of the people I know use their smartphones for the basics like messaging, social media, camera, etc etc. They don't follow tech trends or research into what is available in the market. Those on iPhone upgrade to an iPhone because it's the only choice they make. As you say, nothing wrong with that, they just have difference priorities and interests.

I used to get the latest and greatest but my priorities have changed these days. I still do the same tasks on my iPhone that I did in 2012 and figured I don't need to pay top whack anymore.
Very true, I feel like I am the only one in my circle of friends and family that stays informed or likes this stuff :rolleyes:.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014

That's cool. People who aren't chasing the latest from Apple can have their pick of lower end or last year's models. And people who want the latest tech will have to go with whatever Apple currently offers in the highest end model. Not particularly worried about the former group, but for the latter group, they have to wait for Apple to want to push the tech/software. And even then, they likely will have to drop quite a pretty penny to keep up. This year's rumored iPhone 8 is shaping up to be not only more expensive, but potentially difficult to find.

The 7S models will be an interesting tier, too. What used to be flagship devices could, later this year, become secondary-tier "flagships" below the iPhone 8.

Also, if the argument is that the Apple base doesn't chase the latest and greatest or most advanced technology and software, and Apple is perfect for people like them, then it's time to stop calling Apple the tech & design leader and innovator that both they and their fans claim they are. Nor is it accurate to call iOS the "world's most advanced mobile operating system" if Apple is perfect for only "basic" stuff.

Remember when leading class camera, screen, design, and more advanced software features made Apple/iPhone the best? Weird that the same rules don't apply anymore.

Last edited:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
That's cool. People who aren't chasing the latest from Apple can have their pick of lower end or last year's models. And people who want the latest tech will have to go with whatever Apple currently offers in the highest end model. Not particularly worried about the former group, but for the latter group, they have to wait for Apple to want to push the tech/software. And even then, they likely will have to drop quite a pretty penny to keep up. This year's rumored iPhone 8 is shaping up to be not only more expensive, but potentially difficult to find.

The 7S models will be an interesting tier, too. What used to be flagship devices could, later this year, become secondary-tier "flagships" below the iPhone 8.

Also, if the argument is that the Apple base doesn't chase the latest and greatest or most advanced technology and software, and Apple is perfect for people like them, then it's time to stop calling Apple the tech & design leader and innovator that both they and their fans claim they are. Nor is it accurate to call iOS the "world's most advanced mobile operating system" if Apple is perfect for only "basic" stuff.

Remember when leading class camera, screen, design, and more advanced software features made Apple/iPhone the best? Weird that the same rules don't apply anymore.
What apple base is being discussed here? The hundreds of millions iphone customers or tens of MR posters? Either way, Apple is not changing their direction, but people have differing needs and that's evident in the posts here. Your comment falls apart because apple base is a generic undefined universe, which cannot be spoken for.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009

Yep, Apple is mainly an innovator in business and making money, more like a fashion brand than anything else really. Nothing wrong with that, they make billions and billions. It's interesting what you say because these past couple of years I've seen a ramping up on exactly that sentiment, that Apple isn't the world's most advanced and they aren't tech or innovation leaders anymore. I see this out of major tech blogs, some that used to be hardcore Apple fanboys, and even highly regarded tech journalists.

Once again no one really cares because Apple is still making gazillions and the common denominator of consumer doesn't care that they are not leading the tech envelope, just as they don't care if Louis Vuitton or Fendi are. Consumers are willing to spend a LOT of money on fashion and Apple has created a very loyal fanbase.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom

I don't personally care what accolades people want to use for Apple or whether they are second best in the geek awards. I buy the iPhone because it's a cool product and I love the smoothness and efficiency of the operating system. Whether it has as many features as Android is irrelevant to me personally. I've had a good experience with Apple and will continue to use them as my mobile phone provider.

I agree they have got out of hand with their pricing but my answer to that is to buy an older model. They lose out not me because if they'd kept the pricing inline with previous releases, they be getting a lot more sales. Still, I'm not particularly worried.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I don't personally care what accolades people want to use for Apple or whether they are second best in the geek awards. I buy the iPhone because it's a cool product and I love the smoothness and efficiency of the operating system. Whether it has as many features as Android is irrelevant to me personally. I've had a good experience with Apple and will continue to use them as my mobile phone provider.

I agree they have got out of hand with their pricing but my answer to that is to buy an older model. They lose out not me because if they'd kept the pricing inline with previous releases, they be getting a lot more sales. Still, I'm not particularly worried.

Thumbs up.

And I'm not worried about Apple either. Unlike others, I don't see any future mass exodus.

I've said this before: Apple catching up is the big deal. We saw the exact same thing happen with the large screen iPhone. And once they catch up, people will appreciate the features we've all been enjoying on Android (again, like large screens). Just like I said earlier, only when Apple does it will people understand/change their minds.
[doublepost=1496837953][/doublepost]
Yep, Apple is mainly an innovator in business and making money, more like a fashion brand than anything else really. Nothing wrong with that, they make billions and billions. It's interesting what you say because these past couple of years I've seen a ramping up on exactly that sentiment, that Apple isn't the world's most advanced and they aren't tech or innovation leaders anymore. I see this out of major tech blogs, some that used to be hardcore Apple fanboys, and even highly regarded tech journalists.

Once again no one really cares because Apple is still making gazillions and the common denominator of consumer doesn't care that they are not leading the tech envelope, just as they don't care if Louis Vuitton or Fendi are. Consumers are willing to spend a LOT of money on fashion and Apple has created a very loyal fanbase.

Yep, I've been saying pretty similar things for some time now. The Apple branding carries them a long way. As you say, their strategy works for them so it isn't going to change anytime soon. Oh well. Thankfully we have amazing competition.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
No doubt about it. I actually was more interested in iOS 11 than the iPhone 8 this year -- was hoping for some software features that I like on Android to make their way over to iOS. Didn't happen. Don't see anything making me want to switch back to iPhone this year. We'll see how the hardware looks, but I'm not willing to deal with the software.

I am still salty about what iOS 7 did to my iPad 2 after have owning the device for only two years. Night and day performance difference -- for the worse.

And man, what a slouch my iPhone 5 became by the time iOS 9-10 rolled around (particularly iOS 10). Granted, the iPhone held up much better than the iPad (better hardware, mind you), but still.

The iPhone 6 is already reaching iPad Mini 2 levels of "unusableness". I try it every other day and it takes 5-10 seconds just to start Uber when I know for a fact it was launching the same app in 3 seconds like my 7 Plus in 2014. I can't imagine how slow it must be on iOS 11 although it doesn't matter for me. It's a hand me down device in my household.

Reactions: v0lume4

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Apple is just like Intel. If it wasn't for the competition you should forget about OLED, wireless charging, file manager, opening up NFC for apps etc

Intel kept their CPU lineup languishing for years and were laughing all the way to the bank with their atrociously priced 6950K and offering consumers a barely improved 4 core CPU for 400 bucks for years. It wasn't until AMD lit a fire under their ass with Ryzen before they stepped up with Coffeelake and made 8 core CPUs affordable. Same goes for NVIDIA and their overpriced GPUs till AMD lays that to bed as well with Vega.

iOS users owe a lot to Android amd are lucky the smartphone market isnt like the PC market otherwise you would still be stuck on an LCD and a gimped OS in 2021

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Apple is just like Intel. If it wasn't for the competition you should forget about OLED, wireless charging, file manager, opening up NFC for apps etc

Intel kept their CPU lineup languishing for years and were laughing all the way to the bank with their atrociously priced 6950K and offering consumers a barely improved 4 core CPU for 400 bucks for years. It wasn't until AMD lit a fire under their ass with Ryzen before they stepped up with Coffeelake and made 8 core CPUs affordable. Same goes for NVIDIA and their overpriced GPUs till AMD lays that to bed as well with Vega.

iOS users owe a lot to Android amd are lucky the smartphone market isnt like the PC market otherwise you would still be stuck on an LCD and a gimped OS in 2021
Actually android owes a lot to ios. If the smartphone market were like the pc market it would be Windows everywhere. Not an appealing choice. Thankfully it's not.

Have you tried the file manager (I have)? What is your opinion of that?

My 5s runs iOS 11 just fine.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Actually android owes a lot to ios. If the smartphone market were like the pc market it would be Windows everywhere. Not an appealing choice. Thankfully it's not.

I wish the smartphone market were like the PC market. I'd be able to put my choice of OS on the hardware that I own, I wouldn't be locked into anyone's ecosystem or memory pricing gouging. Phones wouldn't be locked and I would be able to update in a timely fashion, or not update if I chose. Peripherals and accessories would work with any hardware I purchased and not be locked into a particular manufacturer. (although many of these benefits are hamstrung by, yep you guessed it, Apple/mac) I'd also have a full desktop OS on my tablet, and soon my smartphone. Thankfully all these companies rely on each other. My awesome surface pro would never have existed if Apple didn't open the way with the ipad, and on the flip side the ipad would never have received the vast majority of these enhancements without the existence of the surface pro to rival it. So on, and so on... So more than anything else I'm extremely thankful that all of these competing companies exist, it just makes all their products better and better.

I've seen the file manager in videos, it's interesting and I'm interested. It does look very limited though, but I have to see for myself to really judge that. As one of the largest detractors of iOS on these forums I'm genuinely impressed with the ipad enhancements. Would it sway me from my surface pro? No, not even close. But this is probably the first time in 5+ years where I've actually paused and looked twice at the ipad. Now Apple, please just let some of those enhancements filter down to the iPhone as well!!!

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I've seen the file manager in videos, it's interesting and I'm interested. It does look very limited though, but I have to see for myself to really judge that. As one of the largest detractors of iOS on these forums I'm genuinely impressed with the ipad enhancements. Would it sway me from my surface pro? No, not even close. But this is probably the first time in 5+ years where I've actually paused and looked twice at the ipad. Now Apple, please just let some of those enhancements filter down to the iPhone as well!!!

Supposedly, a few of the changes work on the iPhone, but in a limited fashion, i.e. drag and drop works within the Files app. Otherwise, I agree---could you imagine how much more useful the iPhone would be if it had the multi-window functionality of the iPad that allowed easy interaction between multiple apps? Still wouldn't be at parity with Android's flexibility/funtionality but it would be a whole lot closer.

Reactions: spinedoc77

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Supposedly, a few of the changes work on the iPhone, but in a limited fashion, i.e. drag and drop works within the Files app. Otherwise, I agree---could you imagine how much more useful the iPhone would be if it had the multi-window functionality of the iPad that allowed easy interaction between multiple apps? Still wouldn't be at parity with Android's flexibility/funtionality but it would be a whole lot closer.

I've used multi-window twice now since owning the S8. It's useful. And with the S8's larger screen, it's easier than ever to have both up.

Reactions: Demo Kit

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I've used multi-window twice now since owning the S8. It's useful. And with the S8's larger screen, it's easier than ever to have both up.

Yeah, I couldn't see myself using is with any prolonged regularity but for those instances where you need to transfer some info from one app to another, and especially with drag and drop, it would be terrific. I saw a tweet today illustrating how Agilebits is playing with the functionality for their 1Password app in iOS11 on an iPad and it was terrifc...just dragged and dropped username/password straight into another app.

Reactions: epicrayban

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Yeah, I couldn't see myself using is with any prolonged regularity but for those instances where you need to transfer some info from one app to another, and especially with drag and drop, it would be terrific. I saw a tweet today illustrating how Agilebits is playing with the functionality for their 1Password app in iOS11 on an iPad and it was terrifc...just dragged and dropped username/password straight into another app.

Yeah it's one of those features you don't need often, but is nice to have for the convenience.

s2mike

macrumors 68020
Sep 14, 2015
I just don’t understand why Apple refuses to allow users to place home screen app icons where we’d like. Why do they insist on forcing us to use a 4x4 grid pattern that beings in the top left corner of the screen?

At this point, it’s infuriating to me.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
The only difference between between smartphone market and the PC market is that Android with its huge market share isn't allowing iOS to languish. You have Android to thank for the file manager even being there. If it were like Intel, it would be the same old same old every year with an speed bump

A file manager is a file manager. If it lacks the flexibility of Android it will eventually come considering how Apple caved in by allowing customisation in CC like on Android

My 6 is lacklustre on iOS 10 itself so I don't need to upgrade to find out that it will be ruined once it's upgraded to iOS 11.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
The only difference between between smartphone market and the PC market is that Android with its huge market share isn't allowing iOS to languish. You have Android to thank for the file manager even being there. If it were like Intel, it would be the same old same old every year with an speed bump
The file manager is a logical not physical file manager like windows. It's an extension of iCloud. So no android has nothing to do with this, even with its huge market share and no revenue for the manufacturers. Based on revenue people don't think iOS is languishing.

A file manager is a file manager. If it lacks the flexibility of Android it will eventually come considering how Apple caved in by allowing customisation in CC like on Android
No it's not as I explained above.
My 6 is lacklustre on iOS 10 itself so I don't need to upgrade to find out that it will be ruined once it's upgraded to iOS 11.
My 5s is running great on iOS 11 beta 1. As soon as a few more betas are under the belt, my 6s gets the same treatment.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
The iPhone 6 is already reaching iPad Mini 2 levels of "unusableness". I try it every other day and it takes 5-10 seconds just to start Uber when I know for a fact it was launching the same app in 3 seconds like my 7 Plus in 2014. I can't imagine how slow it must be on iOS 11 although it doesn't matter for me. It's a hand me down device in my household.

I've noticed this too, is this a bug in 10.3.2? Several times per day if I cold start an app it literally takes 5-10 seconds to open up, it will just sit there at the splash screen. I'm already used to iOS just force closing apps at random and it gets stuttery/laggy at times, but this is a new one and really annoying.

edit: Just noticed you are referencing your ip6, this happens on my 7plus.

[doublepost=1497032850][/doublepost]
I just don’t understand why Apple refuses to allow users to place home screen app icons where we’d like. Why do they insist on forcing us to use a 4x4 grid pattern that beings in the top left corner of the screen?

At this point, it’s infuriating to me.

I never understood this either. I understand they want to create simplicity, but IMO this is made for the stupidest slowest person in the world.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.