Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you going to switch?

• Yes

Votes: 92 24.8%
  • No, staying with iPhone

Votes: 175 47.2%
  • No, I'll go with another platform

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • Considering it

Votes: 101 27.2%

• Total voters

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
As this becomes more and more real, I look forward to Rene Ritchie's article criticizing Apple on not being symmetric. I mean, I don't care, but if there's anything we've learned from Rene, it's that Apple cares and so should everyone else.

https://www.technobuffalo.com/2017/...parts/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook
iPhone 8 leaked components confirm huge design changes

iphone-8-component-leak-001.jpg

If this is true than I dont think there will be a white version.

Rene will say something like this "Apple cleverly used the cutout for time and signal strength to always be visible"

Reactions: epicrayban

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Probably not the right place and apologies if off topic, but I am getting increasingly frustrated with my iPhone 7 Plus when I move out of an area I've had wifi in (so, home) and into the car and my phone will not connect to anything.

My mobile signal is strong 4g and I have plenty of it but the phone will just not open any apps. Instagram, no Internet connection. Facebook won't load posts, whatsapp will just keep circling with 'connecting' showing. This is happening more than a few times a week.

This is also my second 7 Plus, and both did this. My previous one was used on EE and this one is on o2, so I know that it isn't the mobile provider.

Absolutely infuriating. One of the reasons I got rid of it last time but didn't think it would happen again.
No such problems on my BB KEYone which has also been used on both of those same networks. Done a Google search, can't find anything related. Driving me insane.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Probably not the right place and apologies if off topic, but I am getting increasingly frustrated with my iPhone 7 Plus when I move out of an area I've had wifi in (so, home) and into the car and my phone will not connect to anything.

My mobile signal is strong 4g and I have plenty of it but the phone will just not open any apps. Instagram, no Internet connection. Facebook won't load posts, whatsapp will just keep circling with 'connecting' showing. This is happening more than a few times a week.

This is also my second 7 Plus, and both did this. My previous one was used on EE and this one is on o2, so I know that it isn't the mobile provider.

Absolutely infuriating. One of the reasons I got rid of it last time but didn't think it would happen again.
No such problems on my BB KEYone which has also been used on both of those same networks. Done a Google search, can't find anything related. Driving me insane.

Have you tried flipping airplane mode on and off when it happens ? Can't say I've experienced this issue myself personally but I'm just using the smaller iPhone 7 rather than plus.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Have you tried flipping airplane mode on and off when it happens ? Can't say I've experienced this issue myself personally but I'm just using the smaller iPhone 7 rather than plus.

Yeah I tried that last time it did it. No joy.
Doing it again now. Was in work wifi. Knocked it off (have full 4g here at work) and wouldn't connect. So I reset my network settings thinking that would do it but it hasn't. Nothing will connect. Think I'm going to return it if I can. When I go on to Safari it asks me to connect my mobile data due to no connection, but mobile data is on.

Losing my mind with it tbh.

Reactions: MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
In the mobile data setting, are all the 'use mobile data for' apps turned on.

Also tick wifi assist also.

If you've done all that, tried doing a factory recovery and still no joy, then it sounds like a hardware issue.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
In the mobile data setting, are all the 'use mobile data for' apps turned on.

Also tick wifi assist also.

If you've done all that, tried doing a factory recovery and still no joy, then it sounds like a hardware issue.

Thanks MRU will try. It's flat out not working at the min.
Wifi assist is on and mobile data is being used for all apps but every single thing will not load as if I have no mobile data.
Even the tech guy next to me at work is like o_O and he uses an iPhone.

It's weird because it's intermittent. I haven't done a factory reset yet but feel like I shouldn't have to be doing this every time it happens as there is no rhyme or reason to it.

Will give it a go, cheers! :)

Reactions: MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Wifi assist is on and mobile data is being used for all apps but every single thing will not load as if I have no mobile data.

It's weird because it's intermittent. I haven't done a factory reset yet but feel like I shouldn't have to be doing this every time it happens as there is no rhyme or reason to it.

Yeah there's something very off - I would even try reseating the SIM card. Once you've done all the basic fixes and ruled them out it leaves it as a hardware issue and I would then definitely seek a replacement.

Reactions: Aneres11

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

See if there is a carrier update waiting. Settings, general, about, carrier.

Reactions: MRU and Aneres11

AlphaGuitarist

macrumors 65816
Nov 12, 2014
I picked up an unlocked HTC U11 when it was released last week and have been using it extensively for the past 5 days. Hardware-wise, it's an excellent device - it's blazing fast, has a gorgeous screen, great camera and enviable build quality. Unfortunately, and this is my personal opinion ONLY, Android is nowhere nearly as intuitive or user-friendly as iOS. I tried really hard to like the phone, but I am just not jelling with Android. Since originally switching to the iPhone back in 2014, this has been my second failed attempt to rekindle my love for Android, the first one being with the Pixel and only lasted 4 days.

I'm putting the SIM card back into my iPhone 6s Plus when I get home from work and returning the U11. I guess Android won't be happening for me. Let's see what September brings.

Reactions: epicrayban

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
I picked up an unlocked HTC U11 when it was released last week and have been using it extensively for the past 5 days. Hardware-wise, it's an excellent device - it's blazing fast, has a gorgeous screen, great camera and enviable build quality. Unfortunately, and this is my personal opinion ONLY, Android is nowhere nearly as intuitive or user-friendly as iOS. I tried really hard to like the phone, but I am just not jelling with Android. Since originally switching to the iPhone back in 2014, this has been my second failed attempt to rekindle my love for Android, the first one being with the Pixel and only lasted 4 days.

I'm putting the SIM card back into my iPhone 6s Plus when I get home from work and returning the U11. I guess Android won't be happening for me. Let's see what September brings.

Curious to know in what ways you find Android is not intuitive.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Well the problems with my 7 Plus have persisted so I have arranged for it to be returned on Friday via courier. Currys (where I go it from) have been really good about it, so it will be refunded once they get it back.

Really really odd thing to happen. The fact it happened a few times on my previous iPhone 7 Plus, made the decision to not just exchange it easy, as this is clearly a problem.
Shame as I did love that red Plus. Absolutely gorgeous.

I will wait for September now and see what the next iPhone brings. I'm more than happy with my KEYone for now, and will keep my eyes out for other Android devices like the Pixel 2 to see if I can be swayed!

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
I'm about to buy my first ever android phone. After years and years of being curious, it's finally time for me to give it a shot.
Only buy an iphone if you can get one every year or so. Contrary to popular belief iPhones are worse than Android at longetivity as they slow down quicker. Android phones May not have quick updates but as a result they maintain their speed for longer periods of time. My iPhone 6 and and Moto G Play take the same amount of time to open a basic app like Uber. And I am not exaggerating.

The same app opens instantly on 7 Plus and there's no way the 6 can possibly be that mich slower than the 7

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2007
My iPhone 6 and and Moto G Play take the same amount of time to open a basic app like Uber. And I am not exaggerating.
Funny you bring up Moto. I'm not sure if I'll like Android and it will take more than a typical return period for me to really know for sure. Therefore, I don't wanna pay top dollar for my very first Android phone. I was ready to order the upcoming OnePlus 5... but now I'm wondering if I should just get a Moto G5 Plus so I can test the waters on a cheap (but not too bad) Android phone. If I like it, I can always upgrade to a better Android down the road. If I don't like it, I can go back to iPhone without having wasted too much money. Does getting the Moto sound like good logic or am I better off spending more for the OnePlus? Again, this will be my first ever Android phone after owning only iPhones since the original iPhone.

AlphaGuitarist

macrumors 65816
Nov 12, 2014
Curious to know in what ways you find Android is not intuitive.
I didn't say I don't find Android intuitive, rather that I don't find it as intuitive as iOS. :)

In my personal experience, iOS is designed with ease of use in mind and requires minimal intervention from the end user to work correctly. Android, however, requires a lot more user input to configure to one's liking. Of course, that's not necessarily a drawback, as it allows far more customization than iOS. However, I am at the point where I no longer have the time nor desire to tinker with phones. I'd rather have a phone that, pardon the cliche, just works. When I was an avid Android user (pre-iPhone 6), I used to root and ROM just about every phone I had. Eventually, it got tiresome.

Last night, I prepared the HTC U11 for return and went back to my 6s Plus. It feels like an old, broken in leather jacket that goes well with every outfit.

Reactions: tbayrgs and Zaft

Fille84

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2013
I didn't say I don't find Android intuitive, rather that I don't find it as intuitive as iOS. :)

In my personal experience, iOS is designed with ease of use in mind and requires minimal intervention from the end user to work correctly. Android, however, requires a lot more user input to configure to one's liking. Of course, that's not necessarily a drawback, as it allows far more customization than iOS. However, I am at the point where I no longer have the time nor desire to tinker with phones. I'd rather have a phone that, pardon the cliche, just works. When I was an avid Android user (pre-iPhone 6), I used to root and ROM just about every phone I had. Eventually, it got tiresome.

Last night, I prepared the HTC U11 for return and went back to my 6s Plus. It feels like an old, broken in leather jacket that goes well with every outfit.
I don't really see what you have to configure to make it work just like an iphone.. The basic setup the first time you boot up the phone is all you need to worry about. Or am I wrong? Sure there are plenty of more options if you wan't to fine tune everything but as I see its not necessary if you are a "basic user".

AlphaGuitarist

macrumors 65816
Nov 12, 2014
I don't really see what you have to configure to make it work just like an iphone.. The basic setup the first time you boot up the phone is all you need to worry about. Or am I wrong? Sure there are plenty of more options if you wan't to fine tune everything but as I see its not necessary if you are a "basic user".

A while back, I was reading a forum thread (it may have even been here on Macrumors), where the author stated something to the extent of "if iOS is Windows, Android is DOS." Both operating systems have their advantages - I just prefer iOS.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014

I find doing even the basic stuff easier and better on a modern day Android device. Typing, for example? Or generally navigating through the OS (with a consistent back button)? These two things alone steal the cake.

But also launching the camera, downloading or updating apps (iOS requires WiFi for anything over 100MB, and the device to be plugged in to audo-update App Store apps. Ditto software updates, can only be on WiFi), more consistent and easier access to settings for various things including apps, a consistent lock screen and password experience (my iPhone still asks me randomly to punch in my passcode ID and/or Apple ID password when unlocking or purchasing apps), and so forth.

I actually don't find iOS intuitive at all, not even for the basic things. This is from using both side by side on a daily basis.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009

I've found this complaint almost always stems from the user being unfamiliar with a new OS. I've never found Android to be particularly complex and certainly it never needed any "tweaking" Although some things could be configured to be MUCH more powerful such as widgets, I found that customization wasn't difficult and mostly a choice which you didn't need to take.

Conversely I've found iOS to often be less intuitive and more complex because of its purported "simplicity".

Reactions: mrex

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I found that customization wasn't difficult and mostly a choice which you didn't need to take.

Also, not only is customization a choice, you really only need to do it once. You're in control. And once done, the phone works better for you, the end user, with all your unique preferences. When it comes to something millions of different people use on a daily basis, multiple times a day, this matters. I've always said, customization is way more than just aesthetics.

Android does it's best to cater to you; you must do your best to cater to iOS.

AlphaGuitarist

macrumors 65816
Nov 12, 2014
I guess iOS is just a personal preference. I'm not new to Android at all - my first smartphone was the T-Mobile G1 that I got on release date and subsequently went through 10 or so Android phones before switching to the iPhone 6. I really tried to give it an honest effort when it came to the possibility of going back to Android, but I guess it's just not in the cards. iOS does what I need it to do and does it very well. What works for some doesn't necessarily work for others.

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
I find doing even the basic stuff easier and better on a modern day Android device. Typing, for example? Or generally navigating through the OS (with a consistent back button)? These two things alone steal the cake.

The consistent back button is really useful. I'm using both platforms and I'm not sure whether app design on iOS has taken a turn for the worse or if I'm just more sensitive to these issues after getting more exposure to using Android as my daily driver, but lately on the iPhone I'm running every now and then in a situation where an app takes me to a fullscreen view with no obvious close or back button visible.

It's really frustrating to wonder if I should swipe in some direction or use some magic gesture to get back to where I (sometimes accidentally) entered the view instead of just making a full exit with the home button and navigating back to wherever I entered the unwanted view. On Android I just click the back button and that's it.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
If any of this is true, Apple users may learn to appreciate the convenience of wireless charging come this Fall. Again, it's not just about not dealing with a cable, it's more about being able to top off your battery anytime you set your phone down. Even iPhone 7S models will see wireless charging. Fingers crossed.

CEO of iPhone assembler Wistron spills the beans about new features for the 2017 models

http://www.phonearena.com/news/CEO-...bout-new-features-for-the-2017-models_id95019

Wireless charging and the higher IP68 certification rating will apparently be available on all three 2017 Apple iPhone models.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
The consistent back button is really useful. I'm using both platforms and I'm not sure whether app design on iOS has taken a turn for the worse or if I'm just more sensitive to these issues after getting more exposure to using Android as my daily driver, but lately on the iPhone I'm running every now and then in a situation where an app takes me to a fullscreen view with no obvious close or back button visible.

It's really frustrating to wonder if I should swipe in some direction or use some magic gesture to get back to where I (sometimes accidentally) entered the view instead of just making a full exit with the home button and navigating back to wherever I entered the unwanted view. On Android I just click the back button and that's it.

Going back on iOS is terrible IMO, versus android and it's universal back button. On iOS it's just inconsistent, clunky and I find it hilarious that when you do get a little tiny back arrow it's so small you almost need a stylus to hit it. I also almost always hit the search button which is right exactly on top of the back button after you use an app from finder. Crap like that makes the UI more complex and annoying.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
If any of this is true, Apple users may learn to appreciate the convenience of wireless charging come this Fall. Again, it's not just about not dealing with a cable, it's more about being able to top off your battery anytime you set your phone down. Even iPhone 7S models will see wireless charging. Fingers crossed.

CEO of iPhone assembler Wistron spills the beans about new features for the 2017 models

http://www.phonearena.com/news/CEO-...bout-new-features-for-the-2017-models_id95019

Wireless charging and the higher IP68 certification rating will apparently be available on all three 2017 Apple iPhone models.

IMO it IS also about dealing with a cable. Some of my most frustrating moments are trying to plug in my iPhone while it's dark, it's actually pretty difficult to mate it up. Same with driving, do I really want to be plugging and un plugging my iPhone EVERY single time I get in the car if i want it always topped up? Wireless charging is awesome and i can't wait for the iPhone to get it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.