Do you prefer glasses or contacts?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by AngerDanger, Dec 16, 2018.

?

Do you prefer glasses or contacts?

1. Glasses

17 vote(s)
    63.0%
  2. Contacts

8 vote(s)
    29.6%
  3. Every Other Day

2 vote(s)
    7.4%
  1. AngerDanger, Dec 16, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2018

AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

Ever since Wednesday, December 12th, the day @Mac'nCheese irreparably changed the MacRumors Forums landscape, I've had but one thought on my mind: what will the next seemingly trivial question be to push us into a new era of easily distracted discussion? Then it hit me.

I absolutely hated the idea of wearing contacts until I was 16; they seemed only superficially appealing. Then, when I actually tried them… I still hated them and found it difficult to put them in. After an hour of an optometrist trying to show me how to pop them in, I asked if it was normal for folks to struggle so much at first. They paused, inhaled, and said, "No, you're taking really long time."

Eventually, I got used to them and now prefer contacts to glasses. I can wear them in the shower or while napping without removal, plus my prescription has gotten so bad that glasses add a bit of lens distortion to my peripheral vision. It feels like I'm playing an early FPS when I put my glasses on at night after wearing contacts all day.

2. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

Neither. I got lasik eye surgery 10 years ago and never looked back.

3. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

I’m nearsighted. Contacts at work. Nothing at home. Slip on some glasses if I watch television.

4. Erehy Dobon macrumors newbie

Erehy Dobon

I preferred Lasik over both, but my eyes regressed so now I'm back to glasses.

My eyesight (myopia) is still good enough to be able to read books and the computer screen. I put glasses on when I need to see far: driving, television, movies, etc.

Contact lenses for my current situation would be an annoyance (I wore contacts for about twenty years). I'm very close to the age where reading glasses will be a requirement, making contacts even an even more dubious solution.

As far as I know, contacts are still considered a "cosmetic" solution and thus receive less support from insurance plans (like VSP).

Contacts are good but they don't hold a candle to Lasik if you qualify for the latter.

5. kazmac macrumors 604

kazmac

I am too myopic for lazik, and my contact lens wearing days are long over: iritis nixed that. And many flew out of my eyes while head banging (the gas permeable), or (soft) suffered death by diving into toilet bowl while I was trying to put them in.

So glasses, as it has been for most of my existence.

6. scmill macrumors member

scmill

I prefer contacts but usually wear glasses. I had rather disastrous cataract surgery on one eye a couple of years ago, and now my vision is wacky. The vision in that eye is for long distance but is somewhat foggy and distorted. I am trying daily soft lenses right now.

7. Zenithal macrumors 603

I use reading glasses only and that's for fairly small font or font with terrible kerning.

8. Spoon! macrumors 6502

Spoon!

I prefer my glasses when I need them. I have a weird thing with stuff going into my eyes, so I don’t think I can ever do contacts.

9. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

If you are writing for people who wear glasses, please do us all a favour and insert more paragraph breaks in your post.

Actually, I have had to enlarge the text, as it is excruciatingly difficult to read and even harder to work out what you are trying to say (insufficient text breaks, asterisks, close type, italics, stream of consciousness - honestly, this is as trying as some of those posts about the possibility of identifying water on faraway pieces of orbiting rock).

Anyway, glasses; can't stand contacts.

10. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

I prefer to struggle a bit, if things get worse then I will have to decide.

11. AngerDanger thread starter macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

Yes, that's the joke. The last trivial poll about shower frequency turned into a giant discussion about online etiquette and the right to ask questions of strangers. My OP was supposed to parody the sense of gravity with which some users treated the showering thread.

Even though you didn't find it funny, I'd at least expect my previous posts (particularly in threads about the possibility of identifying water on faraway pieces of orbiting rock) to be some indication of the irreverence with which I compose comments.

The whole things ends in a clearly absurd "tl;dr: who is up for a group shower?"

12. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Glasses. I had contacts for ten years. Disposable contacts were easy to put in and pop off. But they irritated my eyes if I wear them for longer than 10 hours.

Glasses are more convenient and they protects my secret identity.:cool:
    [​IMG]

13. Scepticalscribe, Dec 17, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2018

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Actually, I thought it almost incomprehensible and the walls of text didn't help.

Plus, it was before I had my second cup of coffee and it was morning in deepest, darkest, dreariest December, and I have had a rough week with my mother; in such circumstances, I need sign-posts suggesting "here be jokes", and no, I don't think it at all funny. But, each to their own.

Try me in March, when post hibernation energies might allow for greater enthusiasm.

14. GeraldBostock macrumors newbie

GeraldBostock

I only looked into contacts once, my eye doctor said I would need a type with small weights at the bottom in order to keep them in place and that there was no guarantee they'd remain that way.

It sounded too complicated so I've stuck to glasses.

15. AngerDanger thread starter macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

I hope you have a great day and that the coffee helps, Scribe.

16. yaxomoxay macrumors 68030

yaxomoxay

17. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Since I only need them when I read, I prefer glasses.

18. Tech198 macrumors G5

I went through contacts... but i found i needed to buy more and turned out to be expensive, but that's probably fault.

Glasses are just easier.. YES, i finally replaced my 1980's vintage glasses....... My sister is so proud *rolls eyes*

19. Sword86 macrumors regular

Blind as a bat. I’ve only met one person in my life who is more near-sighted than me. (If the subject came up) I’ve worn contacts over 40 years. I have glasses for home and if I don’t have plans to go out I often wear them until I do.
    I need glasses for reading as well so I learned about 20 years ago to wear contacts full-time under glassses with progressive lenses where the bottom is my reading prescription and the top plano. (No prescription) This way you aren’t fishing for reading glasses everytime you need them. They’re on my head all the time. Good tip for some of you. I must be on my 5th or 6th pair over the years. Even had a pair that stayed at work and one for at home.
    They are a constant companion when I have contacts in. I wear them at the gym so I can see my AW. S

20. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

21. OLDGUYWITHAHIFI Suspended

OLDGUYWITHAHIFI

Wear glasses but tried contacts a few times. Really wanted to like them but just could not get used to wearing them. My eyes would get dry, was constantly using drops. My vision was sometimes clear and sometimes not. Tried different brands, solutions, eye doctors, just can't do it. Sucks too because while I was wearing them it was great to be able to wear regular sunglasses and not have to keep taking them on and off to see things near and far, or for things like using binoculars, and shooting.

22. Sword86 macrumors regular

That would be a drag. I can wear my contacts for ages. Once I get home I generally yank them but they are no issue if I don’t. I still have them in now and it’s been over 12 hours. No prob. S

23. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Contacts. I can wear them 30 days at a time, so I completely forget about them, which is how it should be. My eyes are fortunately very forgiving, so I haven't tried any contacts brand (over 20 years now) that annoyed my eyes. But not having to exchange them for such a long periode for anything is really convenient. I then wear glasses for about a week after the 30 days has passed, just to give my eyes some time to heal any microscratches or what not.

I am -7 and -8, so I was told that even with laser surgery, I would likely still have to wear glasses, so I don't plan on having it done so far.

24. Sword86 macrumors regular

I WISH I was -7 or -8. I think I blew past -7 or -8 before I was a teen.
    Same thing about laser surgery. I’d still have to wear glasses, and I would never opt for it. I know a zillion people have had it done, swear by it, including a bunch of my friends and family. To a one, they are all back to glasses. Even my opthamologist says no to laser. He says to have your corneas replaced instead. In and out under an hour. I have a few friends who’ve had that done as well. Up here, if you develop cataracts the medical system will cover the cornea replacement. If you require a bit of correction, you pay the diff. I guess they will only go good for a ‘zero’ lense.
    I’ve read lately somewhere that doctors have only just determined there are some people that have nerve issues in their eyes that makes it where they cannot ever heal from laser surgery. I can’t recall whether or not they are able to determine this condition beforehand. (I think the article said no, ot least, not at the time of the article) Some of these individuals have lost all quality of life. They probably make up those stories from the 1%ers you hear of laser surgery horrors. I can only say no one I know who has had laser surgery done would not do it again. This list may or may not include one woman I met over 30 years ago who had it done when the USAF started playing with it back in the 70’s or so. She was the daughter of some high ranking general or something, and they did not even use laser back then. She claimed it was the most pain she ever faced. She just might not have done it over again knowing what she went through. I have not seen her in 30+ years, so I can’t confirm that. S

25. samiwas macrumors 68000

Glasses. I get petrified when anything gets near my eyes, including fingers. I don't even like eye drops.