Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Reading a Book w/ iBooks or a Real Book?

• I prefer reading a real book

Votes: 56 37.3%
  • I prefer reading an iBook

Votes: 94 62.7%

• Total voters

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
I'm currently reading 2 books and have each in hardcover and in iBooks...

Yet figure I'm not alone in this issue among the iPad owners and figured I'd ask.
:D

JulianL

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2010
London, UK
For technical books I prefer to stick to paper (real book) but I don't think that I've bought any fiction in paper form for almost a decade now. For fiction, if it isn't in electronic form then I'll go and find other stuff to read until it is. I mostly read fiction so I voted for the iBook option.

- Julian

GreatestDane

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2010
I like to read real books. I like the feeling of turning the pages:rolleyes:.
You don't really get that sensation on an iPad.

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
Sometimes I like to skip around in a book and see where it is, physically, in comparison to where I am at. I know you can know where you are at in a digital book, but it's kind of like my preference for a watch with hands vs. a numerical readout.

There is a satisfaction to seeing a book get dogeared with a lot of use, too.

ExnomenDei

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2010
I don't like books. You need an external light source, the contrast (with paperbacks at least) is a little bit lower than a good screen and you have to hold a book open. The text distorts from the way the pages bend as well. I even read a few books on my iPhone 3GS before I got my iPad, and now I do plan on doing some reading on this thing.

But honestly, it's just a nice addition for my iPad, not a huge part of the buying process.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I like both but am starting to go towards iBooks. I've read a few on my iPhone 3GS and it is a selling point for me towards the iPad which I will be getting soon. I am preferring iBooks over regular books because it takes up no physical space in my home. I've collected too many books over the years and don't have any extra space for them.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
I have a stack of library books next to me. I hate it. I'm broke or a few of them I'd just buy in iBooks right now.

Oh and kindle added two column landscape, but without the "page look" it's still not working for me.

My oldest ebooks I bought from Peanut Press (now ereader) in 2002 I think, for my Sony Clie (palm). I can still read them and love ebooks in general. With the iPad it is even better for reading!

I really wish my library had ebooks....

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Real books do have some advantages, like quickly jumping pages or scanning through pages for a particular section, and having no backlight glare is easier on the eyes. But the disadvantages are, can't change font size, can't read in dark, can only carry a certain number at once because of weight and bulk. Also, I don't have to make a trip to the bookstore or library to get the books, I can download ebooks anytime and anywhere I want. So overall, for me, the advantages of ebooks outweigh their disadvantages. It's not so much that I *prefer* reading ebooks, but it's just a lot more convenient.

okrelayer

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2008
I prefer iBooks/ kindle on iPad. Mostly because its with me most of the time, easier to turn pages while eating, and the already mentioned light source the iPad gives off. I do wish ebooks were a bit cheaper though

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
I'm currently reading 2 books and have each in hardcover and in iBooks...

Yet figure I'm not alone in this issue among the iPad owners and figured I'd ask.
:D

I still have a bunch of unread "real" books left, but the last books that I've read were all in eBook format and I don't see myself buying paper books anymore. It's a nightmare to move a library, and I've moved a lot in the last twelve years - I'm "migrating" to an all digital library now.

For reading fiction, the eBook format is good, but I think it's not so great for non-fiction like reference manuals --- browsing through a real book is MUCH faster than trying to find something in an eBook. But then again, Adobe's PDF reader does a good job on my 27" iMac, so it's not really an issue.

I like the Kindle app for the iPhone and the iPad and also think that it's superior to Apple's iBooks reader, but Apple's iDevices are only my third choice for eBook reading when compared to Amazon's Kindle 3. Number 2 are physical books, number one is my Kindle 3. The Kindle's eInk display looks exactly like a laser printer output while the iGadgets's displays are like your average glossy computer display with all the negatives that one associates with them plus all the smudges from using the touch interface. It really is a suboptimal experience, to say the least.

I think that Jeff Bezos was right: "People buy an iPad to play Angry Birds, and they buy a Kindle to read Stieg Larsson." Dang!

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
The Kindle's eInk display looks exactly like a laser printer output while the iGadgets's displays are like your average glossy computer display with all the negatives that one associates with them plus all the smudges from using the touch interface. It really is a suboptimal experience, to say the least.

I think that Jeff Bezos was right: "People buy an iPad to play Angry Birds, and they buy a Kindle to read Stieg Larsson." Dang!

I have a child with vision issues, the ability to change the background from white is huge for her. Her ideal paper color is gray or light blue, with a sans serif font. I'm not sure a kindle 3 will work that well for her.

But your statement of, " It really is a suboptimal experience, to say the least." needs to have for me on the end of it. Please don't try to judge my reading experience... Especially when that kindle won't let me read in the dark.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
But your statement of, " It really is a suboptimal experience, to say the least." needs to have for me on the end of it. Please don't try to judge my reading experience... Especially when that kindle won't let me read in the dark.

+1. I haven't seen the kindle3, but earlier kindles looked grey on grey, too little contrast to make it comfortable to read. The slow page turns also drove me bonkers - talk about a suboptimal reading experience! Both has probably improved in the latest version, but i doubt it gives me enough added convenience or ease of reading to carry around another device, when the iPad does so many things. Yes, I understand some people may like a device that is just for reading, but despite the fact that I'm a pretty avid reader, an ebooks only device has never been attractive to me. YMMV

sassy404

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2009
I prefer iBooks/ kindle on iPad. Mostly because its with me most of the time, easier to turn pages while eating, and the already mentioned light source the iPad gives off. I do wish ebooks were a bit cheaper though

I'm with above post, and because of a hand problem I don't need to hold it. Best thing since sliced bread :)

Arminator

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2010
In winter there is no big difference for me. I like both. But in summer i prefer to read on the balcony in the sun. This is where iPad fails. So +1 for real books/kindle

seajay96

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2010
I haven't purchased a physical book for many, many months.

And, even though I have an iPad, I actually prefer to read on my iPhone. I like to be able to hold it in one hand and turn the page by simply swiping my thumb.

I do read magazines and technical books (with diagrams and such) on my iPad...can't be beat by any product on the market yet.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
I've published an "eBook" for about ten years now. It is a text book that I gave to my students and now sell to individuals and other schools as well. Later on, due to many requests, I also started offering a printed version with the same content.

The eBook is HTML based so can be viewed with any browser. It is hyperlinked, has runnable demonstrations (written in Java) in the text, a search function, and generally more advanced.

Unlike conventional publishers who view this as a gold mine (no printing costs and virtually no distribution costs, with the bonus that there is no resale market), I viewed the eBook as a way to drastically bring down costs. Where textbooks typically cost $100-$150, I charge schools $21 in quantity for electronic or CD distribution to students.

Yet with all of this going for them, most of my students buy the printed text in addition to the free CD I hand out! And about half of my domestic sales to schools are also the printed text.

The printed page seems to rule, even if it has a disadvantage.

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
I'm starting to prefer Kindle for iPad over real books. I often have my iPad with me, and have a few books on it. I'd be unlikely to carry those books around to the same places - they'd be a lot heavier for a start.

I still have some problems with the cost and flexibility of eBooks though. I very much prefer Kindle over iBooks - the prices are a lot better, you can read the books on more devices (including the desktop) and they're introducing features like lending.

If I buy an eBook that I can't sell on or give away, it needs to be 1/2 the price of the equivalent paperback or less.

sweetie81

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2007
I prefer real books and the tactile experience that goes along with it as well as the smell. Plus my eyes would get tired by reading 2 or more hours and staring at a screen.

Doing that for 8 hrs at work and prefer the real book.

Chewbaca

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2010
I thought i would prefer a real book but the ability to turn off the light and read till I'm falling asleep is pretty good. Not to mention the fact i can drive around with a few dozen ebooks in my bag.

The one preference i have towards a real book is not having to sorry if i drop or fall asleep on it.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
I prefer real books and the tactile experience that goes along with it as well as the smell. Plus my eyes would get tired by reading 2 or more hours and staring at a screen.

Doing that for 8 hrs at work and prefer the real book.

You obviously aren't reading the same library books i am. One of the last ones, it was all i could do to read it without gloves. I'm so NOT a germaphobe, but dang it was GROSS.... And really, I tried to not smell it! LOL!

Oh how i wish mine did ebooks.....

Anyway, back to the thread.

Don Kosak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2010
Hilo, Hawaii
If the Kindle device screen actually looked even close to a good quality laser printed page, I'd buy one in a heartbeat. But it's not even close, and reading low quality blocky black letters on a light gray background doesn't cut it for me.

I love Kindle books, and use the Kindle app and software on my iDevices and Macs. The e-ink on the Kindle device just doesn't provide the clarity and contrast I've gotten used to on iPad and other high end LED backlit screens. And yes, I do read outdoors and in all kinds of lighting situations.

I also like the flexibility ebooks bring in general with annotations, bookmarking, searching, etc. So count my vote in the ebook column.

Arnieaz

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2007
Tucson, AZ
IBooks are clean

I used to read a lot of library books, until I realized how dirty and germ laden they are. I've found snot, food and hairs of all kinds in them!

The last one I checked out is the last one I'll ever check out:)

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
dead tree books-doesn't require electricity, more portable, can flip to any page easily
electronic-can carry more books, suitable for dark rooms (no flashlight necessary, harder to loan to a friend).

I gave the edge to the paper based books, due to the fact that not every book has been digitized.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.