Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applefan289

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
USA
I personally prefer using an email software that is not web-based. It's just a personal preference and I feel like I have more control since the emails are stored on my computer rather than a server.

What is your preference and why?

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
I've been a fan of a dedicated email client forever - I still use Entourage on my iMac at home.

My first foray into email was elm, until I discovered pine - then Pegasus, Eudora, and then into all the corporate forms.

applefan289

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
USA
I've starting using Mail.app about a year and a half ago and I couldn't go back. So much better, all my mail is archived and easy to find. I can read it offline, and mailto: links work :)

Yeah, Mail is also very compatible - stuff shows up like it's supposed to (for received mail). Obviously sent mail in RTF is a gamble.

hayduke

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2005
is a state of mind.
Web based. Got tired of updating passwords on phone, laptop, desktop, etc. every time one acccount's password had to be updated. Was thinking of trying Mail.app again though. Probably after I get around to updating to Lion.

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
Years ago when using just one computer I used an email client. All my email was on the computer.

Now times have changed & so have I. Working in a cross platform world, I use more than one Mac at home as well as a couple Windows & Mac laptops. In addition I use iPhone and Galaxy S II Smartphones.

Therefore web based email is extremely ideal for me, via Gmail.

Thanks to Mozilla I have the best of all worlds. I use their cross platform Thunderbird email client on my Macs & PC's, it works like a charm.

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
I like IMAP mail. The mail is on the server all the time, so I can use a full mail app for speed (I like Mail.app), but my phone also stays synced, and I see the same messages on the web too.

One way or another, I do like to download mail though. It's too important to trust to the cloud only.

applefan289

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
USA
Years ago when using just one computer I used an email client. All my email was on the computer.

Now times have changed & so have I. Working in a cross platform world, I use more than one Mac at home as well as a couple Windows & Mac laptops. In addition I use iPhone and Galaxy S II Smartphones.

Therefore web based email is extremely ideal for me, via Gmail.

Thanks to Mozilla I have the best of all worlds. I use their cross platform Thunderbird email client on my Macs & PC's, it works like a charm.

I think you hit the nail on the head. It's probably better to have web-based mail if you have multiple devices. But I like to keep things simple and just have one computer.

The only other thing I have is an iPad, and that's overwhelming me as it is. I have to coordinate more.

Like I was thinking the other day if it would be better to "leave messages on the server for a month" so that they could get to my iPad. Or whether it's better to delete them from the server immediately and let the iPad grab whatever I didn't get on my computer (and obviously the iPad would be set to never delete messages from the server).

Demosthenes X

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2008
I think you hit the nail on the head. It's probably better to have web-based mail if you have multiple devices. But I like to keep things simple and just have one computer.

The only other thing I have is an iPad, and that's overwhelming me as it is. I have to coordinate more.

Like I was thinking the other day if it would be better to "leave messages on the server for a month" so that they could get to my iPad. Or whether it's better to delete them from the server immediately and let the iPad grab whatever I didn't get on my computer (and obviously the iPad would be set to never delete messages from the server).

:confused: I have two computers, and iPhone, and an iPad, and I can't imagine using webmail for everything. Outlook on my Mac and work PC and Mail on my iDevices works great and keeps everything in sync...

applefan289

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
USA
Not an issue with IMAP, although with POP3 using multiple devices can definitely be inconvenient.

Even with IMAP, there is still a little more planning if you have multiple devices in regards to when messages are deleted from the server (if you want that option). For example, what happens if you check email on your iPhone but don't check it on your Mac for two months? The server may become full, etc.

With only one computer, you can delete it from the server immediately and it's not an issue because you only have one device.

mljones99

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2006
web based for me. i need access to my email on too many computers and devices to mess with clients.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
Even with IMAP, there is still a little more planning if you have multiple devices in regards to when messages are deleted from the server (if you want that option). For example, what happens if you check email on your iPhone but don't check it on your Mac for two months? The server may become full, etc.

With only one computer, you can delete it from the server immediately and it's not an issue because you only have one device.

With IMAP, you can use any device to delete it from the server. The folders are kept in sync with all your devices. So in your example, if I check emails on my phone for two months without using my Mac, as long as I'm using the phone to delete the emails, they're gone from the server and they won't be loaded to my Mac when the time comes for me to log in there. It's the same if (hypothetically) I used only my Mac to check emails for two months then finally used my phone - the Inbox, etc. on my phone would sync with what's on the server, which would be the same as what's on my Mac.

I have a privately-hosted IMAP account that I access from two different Macs, my iPhone, and a TouchPad. If I delete a message from any of those four devices, it's gone. If I file it to another folder, it's filed at the server - and each of the other three devices will reflect it being filed the exact same way.

Purestang

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2010
I have 2 emails: School (webmail) and Personal (gmail). I have my School email forward everything to my personal (filtered of course) then use the Mac Mail to sync with gmail. Same with my iPhone.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
I used to use Gmail webmail, but about half a year ago I set Apple's Mail up with my Gmail account. Its WAY better. One of the main reasons that I prefer it is that I can keep the client open on another desktop and it notifies me when I get an email. Then I can just three-finger-swipe over and read the new email(s).

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
I prefer using the Gmail site on my computer, and on my iPhone I use the mail app. I tried using Thunderbird but it just didn't make sense since I always have Chrome open when I'm at my computer and use multiple computers for uni.

odinsride

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
Web-based for me. I personally don't see any advantage in using a dedicated email client in this day and age - they are becoming quite obsolete/redundant in a world where most people have multiple computers and devices.

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
Web-based for me. I personally don't see any advantage in using a dedicated email client in this day and age - they are becoming quite obsolete/redundant in a world where most people have multiple computers and devices.

I tend to agree.

Only disadvantage is having all your 'stuff' in the cloud.

But can it can never fail like a hard drive were you'd risk loosing it all. .... Right :confused:

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
For me I tend to use a IMAP email client. Started using outlook back in 2003 with pop3 access and hardly ever check my email threw the web. I switch over to IMAP later on kept using Outlook.
Now in 2011 I still use outlook but for the past 2 years I tend to read my email on my cell phone.
It is ether read threw outlook or on my phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.