Do you prefer web-based email or using an email client program?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by applefan289, Sep 18, 2011.

1. applefan289 macrumors 68000

I personally prefer using an email software that is not web-based. It's just a personal preference and I feel like I have more control since the emails are stored on my computer rather than a server.

What is your preference and why?

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I've been a fan of a dedicated email client forever - I still use Entourage on my iMac at home.

My first foray into email was elm, until I discovered pine - then Pegasus, Eudora, and then into all the corporate forms.

3. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

I've starting using Mail.app about a year and a half ago and I couldn't go back. So much better, all my mail is archived and easy to find. I can read it offline, and mailto: links work :)

4. applefan289 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yeah, Mail is also very compatible - stuff shows up like it's supposed to (for received mail). Obviously sent mail in RTF is a gamble.

5. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

Web based. Got tired of updating passwords on phone, laptop, desktop, etc. every time one acccount's password had to be updated. Was thinking of trying Mail.app again though. Probably after I get around to updating to Lion.

6. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Years ago when using just one computer I used an email client. All my email was on the computer.

Now times have changed & so have I. Working in a cross platform world, I use more than one Mac at home as well as a couple Windows & Mac laptops. In addition I use iPhone and Galaxy S II Smartphones.

Therefore web based email is extremely ideal for me, via Gmail.

Thanks to Mozilla I have the best of all worlds. I use their cross platform Thunderbird email client on my Macs & PC's, it works like a charm.

7. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

I like IMAP mail. The mail is on the server all the time, so I can use a full mail app for speed (I like Mail.app), but my phone also stays synced, and I see the same messages on the web too.

One way or another, I do like to download mail though. It's too important to trust to the cloud only.

8. applefan289 thread starter macrumors 68000

I think you hit the nail on the head. It's probably better to have web-based mail if you have multiple devices. But I like to keep things simple and just have one computer.

The only other thing I have is an iPad, and that's overwhelming me as it is. I have to coordinate more.

Like I was thinking the other day if it would be better to "leave messages on the server for a month" so that they could get to my iPad. Or whether it's better to delete them from the server immediately and let the iPad grab whatever I didn't get on my computer (and obviously the iPad would be set to never delete messages from the server).

9. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

Never tried an email client, so I guess I prefer web-based.

10. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

:confused: I have two computers, and iPhone, and an iPad, and I can't imagine using webmail for everything. Outlook on my Mac and work PC and Mail on my iDevices works great and keeps everything in sync...

11. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Not an issue with IMAP, although with POP3 using multiple devices can definitely be inconvenient.

12. applefan289 thread starter macrumors 68000

Even with IMAP, there is still a little more planning if you have multiple devices in regards to when messages are deleted from the server (if you want that option). For example, what happens if you check email on your iPhone but don't check it on your Mac for two months? The server may become full, etc.

With only one computer, you can delete it from the server immediately and it's not an issue because you only have one device.

13. mljones99 macrumors regular

web based for me. i need access to my email on too many computers and devices to mess with clients.

14. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

With IMAP, you can use any device to delete it from the server. The folders are kept in sync with all your devices. So in your example, if I check emails on my phone for two months without using my Mac, as long as I'm using the phone to delete the emails, they're gone from the server and they won't be loaded to my Mac when the time comes for me to log in there. It's the same if (hypothetically) I used only my Mac to check emails for two months then finally used my phone - the Inbox, etc. on my phone would sync with what's on the server, which would be the same as what's on my Mac.

I have a privately-hosted IMAP account that I access from two different Macs, my iPhone, and a TouchPad. If I delete a message from any of those four devices, it's gone. If I file it to another folder, it's filed at the server - and each of the other three devices will reflect it being filed the exact same way.

15. MasterBSOD macrumors member

MasterBSOD

Client.

Because I can manipulate my messages easier.

16. Purestang macrumors member

I have 2 emails: School (webmail) and Personal (gmail). I have my School email forward everything to my personal (filtered of course) then use the Mac Mail to sync with gmail. Same with my iPhone.

17. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I used to use Gmail webmail, but about half a year ago I set Apple's Mail up with my Gmail account. Its WAY better. One of the main reasons that I prefer it is that I can keep the client open on another desktop and it notifies me when I get an email. Then I can just three-finger-swipe over and read the new email(s).

18. tablo13, Sep 18, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2011

tablo13 macrumors 65816

tablo13

On my iPod touch, Mail.app (the mobile email websites are way too slow). On computer, website.

19. eric/ Guest

eric/

I started using Outlook 2011 with my MBA. I like it a lot since I use it for work and appointments. Snycs with the Address Book program too.

20. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

I prefer using the Gmail site on my computer, and on my iPhone I use the mail app. I tried using Thunderbird but it just didn't make sense since I always have Chrome open when I'm at my computer and use multiple computers for uni.

21. (marc) macrumors 6502a

(marc)

This.

22. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

Web-based for me. I personally don't see any advantage in using a dedicated email client in this day and age - they are becoming quite obsolete/redundant in a world where most people have multiple computers and devices.

23. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

I tend to agree.

Only disadvantage is having all your 'stuff' in the cloud.

But can it can never fail like a hard drive were you'd risk loosing it all. .... Right :confused:

24. AdrianK macrumors 68020

25. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

For me I tend to use a IMAP email client. Started using outlook back in 2003 with pop3 access and hardly ever check my email threw the web. I switch over to IMAP later on kept using Outlook.
    Now in 2011 I still use outlook but for the past 2 years I tend to read my email on my cell phone.
    It is ether read threw outlook or on my phone.