Do you purchase Apple Care + for your MacBook Pro?

Do you purchase Apple Care + for your MacBook Pro?

• Yes

Votes: 70 72.9%
  • No

Votes: 26 27.1%

• Total voters

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
Nope, and I'll probably not, but I'll give it a good long look, just to be safe.

Johnny Steps

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2011
Despite me being an extremely careful person when it comes to my gadgets, I did go for it with my new MacBook. While I’m sure nothing will happen, it does provide peace of mind in case something goes wrong with the keyboard, screen, battery, etc. plus since these laptops are thin and difficult to repair without professional tools, I think it’s worth it.

ashcairo

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2013
London, UK
I think it's ace, they even include accidental damage with it now, so it's a no brainer. Also, it'll also increase your resale value. Whether you need it depends on how heavy you use the machine. For me, I've had my logic board replaced twice on it over the last two years, for my wife she's only needed the standard warranty for the keyboard.

Reactions: Patcell

M.Rizk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2015
I didn’t for my past MBP (mid 2012) and I got away with it. The MBP died in 2016 so would have been way out of Apple Care+ coverage anyways.

I am planning to get AC+ for the new MBP (2018) though. Apple’s MBP reputation has been suffering lately and with Apple soldiering all hardware, repair prices are now atrocious. Having an AC+ is a must right now.

TLDR; I am planning to go with AC+ so I end up with:
3 years on AC+
1 year on credit card insurance

JD2015

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
For the amount of money and reliability issues reported with last few generations, it may be a good idea to purchase. The cost spread over time and saves money if there are issues which without apple care may have cost you hundreds. The only time I wouldn't is if you replace them on an annual basis which some do. Some may advise seeing if current insurance may cover repairs, however, you then have the inconvenience of further steps you will have to take.

ESA

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2015
Never, in Sweden we have 3 years warranty by law. So you never need Apple-Care.

But you must say that you want to use this law to Apple, they won't mention it themselves. So if you contact them, they say your apple-warranty is over. But then if you say that you want to use the 3 years warranty I have by law, then they help you.

And by law if in that time your device gets broken 3 times, you must get a new one or get your money back.

Thats the reason I got a 2018 MacBook Pro for free, my 2016 had keyboard-replacement 3 times.

Reactions: aimson911

deeddawg

macrumors G3
Jun 14, 2010
US
That's something you're going to need to decide for yourself.

Everyone has their own circumstances. Some folks tend to be in accident-prone environments, others are not. Some folks are extremely careful with their belongings, some folks are not -- or live with others who are not. Some folks bought their MBP with a credit card providing a two year warranty extension, some folks didn't.

In the end you need to remember it's just an insurance policy. Which is designed to make money.

Consider your usage circumstances, how long you'll have the system, whether your credit card provides extended warranty coverage, and how well you could absorb the cost of a repair. Those things will guide whether or not to drop the money on AC+

Johnny Steps

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2011

But you must say that you want to use this law to Apple, they won't mention it themselves. So if you contact them, they say your apple-warranty is over. But then if you say that you want to use the 3 years warranty I have by law, then they help you.

And by law if in that time your device gets broken 3 times, you must get a new one or get your money back.

Thats the reason I got a 2018 MacBook Pro for free, my 2016 had keyboard-replacement 3 times.
That sounds like an amazing, possibly easily abusable, policy!

ESA

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2015
That sounds like an amazing, possibly easily abusable, policy!

Nah, you must show that you have these problems. You can't just make it up. So for example I used this before.

My 2012 retina had problems with the graphic card (GT650) also then 3 times. Then I got a 2015 model for free haha :)

But for example my 2012 iMac has never got any problems. But the laptops have, and I'm very careful with my stuff. If there is any marks on your computer Apple will say no.

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
Just purchased a 2018 yesterday and wanted to know if I should get Apple care plus within the 60 days?
Considering that you are spending upwards of $2-3K on something like this, and the repairs can easily exceed $500, I have bought AppleCare + on mine. This covers you for repairs for faulty hardware and accidental damage (with a small deductible on accidental damage), and it can pay off. And I don't typically buy warranties, but I definitely don't want to be forking out $500 plus dollars to repair a damaged screen or a bad logic board, should they ever go out (knock on wood).

patchedreality

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2018
I plan on purchasing it for mine. I bought it with the Citi Costco card, which tacks on another 2 years, so I should be good for 5 years of coverage. I didn't get it for my 2013 MBP, and the only issue my 2013 MBP had was the battery swelled and required replacing the whole top half of the machine, which Apple ended up fixing for free out-of-warranty anyway, but it seems these more recent models have been having more problems, so I'm going for the piece of mind. I tend to keep my machines for at least 4 years, and then hand them down to my wife and kids.

ofarlig

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2015
Sweden
We don't have Apple Care + over here just normal Apple Care so I wait until the normal warranty is about to expire and then decide if I buy it or if I just buy a new computer instead.

I am not really careful with my things but my home insurance covers electronics and replaces them within 3 years of purchase, only have to pay a $150 deductible.

mr.anthonyramos

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2015
Hong Kong
I always get Apple Care for the ever fragile MacBook Pros that I buy. You wouldn’t believe the many times it has been a lifesaver.

On my 2014 MacBook Pro, just last year just before the 3 year warranty period wore off, this happened to my screen. I was able to get it replaced for free! On my MacBook Air, the hinge became loose 2.5 years into the warranty period and they replaced my entire Air.

First gen Apple Watch rear came loose, JUST had it replaced.

Apple care seems a little pricy but after these few instances, I feel I’ve already saved some money from these would have been pricy repairs.

Attachments

Reactions: Salaryman Ryan

jerryk

macrumors 601
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area

What the prices for a MacBook Pro in Sweden compared to the US. My guess is they are considerably higher.

Reactions: Patcell and cwanja

cwanja

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Texas
I am sorry, I have never understood why someone would not get it?! The labor and parts alone with today's designed computers is going to cost nearly half a new computer. It is electronics after all, so not a matter of if it will die, but a matter of when.
[doublepost=1533064120][/doublepost]
What the prices for a MacBook Pro in Sweden compared to the US. My guess is they are considerably higher.
Just off the surface, comparing "buy" pages on Apple's website it is $1,000 USD more than the US models.

15" MacBook Pro
Touch Bar and Touch ID
2.6GHz 6-Core Processor
512GB Storage:
32 995,00 kr = 3,754.01 United States Dollar; compared to $2,799.00

Since this is not the political forum, I will reserve my opinions of using government to protect you.

Reactions: cfdlab and Patcell

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
I am sorry, I have never understood why someone would not get it?! The labor and parts alone with today's designed computers is going to cost nearly half a new computer. It is electronics after all, so not a matter of if it will die, but a matter of when.
Its not when and if it was when for every owner of a MBP, then Apple has some major problems with quality. The shear majority of people never incur any issues. I've not had AC on my laptops for some time. Heck my 2012 machine is still going strong.

I get one year of warranty, since I bought the laptop using my Amex card, American Express doubles that warranty so now I have a two year warranty. The question comes up, do I want to spend 300 bucks for a single year of coverage?

Reactions: Wags

IngerMan

macrumors 65816
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
I did for my iMac purchased in May of 2016, But that will probably not be needed. I did not for my 2016 MBP Purchased December 2016. The iMac was the first time purchasing Apple care on a computer and it will be the last. If I added it up on all my computers for the last 7 years I could of purchased a computer free.

dannyar

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2007
You are better off getting a personal items policy through your home or auto insurance company. I have a personal policy for $4000 worth of coverage that takes care of my drone, cell phone and new 2018 MBP. If any or all of those items get stolen or break for whatever reason I am reimbursed 100% of the value with 0 deductible. My cost is only $250 a year for this. The yearly cost goes down based on how much coverage you need. When I only had the drone on there and $1200 worth of coverage it only cost me like $70 a year. Way better option than apple care which will not cover theft or loss.

Reactions: Jacoblee23

aimson911

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2015
I wouldn't quite agree with that logic. I have the 2011 MBP and never bought any warranty. Never needed to use it after 7 years of owning the computer. Sure, it WILL die some day, but in retrospect I saved hundreds of dollars not buying warranty. I would still probably encourage people to buy the warranty, but in some cases it will just be a waste of money. Actually, thinking back to the past 21 years, I cannot remember a time when an Apple product of mine broke or needed repair in less than 4 years of use. That, of course, may be the minority and just good luck!