Do you really need a case for your iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by AppleRocks2011, Jul 21, 2012.

1. AppleRocks2011 macrumors member

AppleRocks2011

Hi there! I've had my White 64GB iPad 2 since March 11th, 2011. I have used it with 5 different cases. The best ones I have used have been the BookBook case by Twelvesouth, the Belkin Access Folio, and of course, Apple's Red and Green Smart Covers.

I have probably dropped my iPad once or twice, that's it, and it's either been in a protective case, or fallen on carpet, therefore leading to no damage. My iPad has not one scratch on it, except for a mark made by the zipper of a case.

recently, I've just been using the iPad with the Smart Cover and that's it. This is been mostly just around the house, though. I'm flying to New York City in the next few days, which has lead me to the question of if I really need to use a case when I take it. The iPad works way better without one. I've bought an Incase Sling Sleeve to carry the iPad in.

My only concern is that it could be damaged while I'm transporting. I wanted to make my decision based on what others have done. My question for you is how do you use your iPad? With or without a case? Your thoughts?

Thanks!

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I use it with a case, but I'm clumsy and tend to drop/bang things all the time. I also find the edges of the iPad 2&3 a bit sharp, so I like having a case to blunt the edges. As long as you have a sleeve to put it in while transporting, I think using a case is a personal decision -- it might slightly protect against damage if you do drop it, but if you like the iPad better without a case, I really don't see why you should force yourself to use one.

3. irDigital0l Guest

Better to have a case when traveling...

At home...don't really see the point.

4. dchao, Jul 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2012

dchao macrumors 6502a

I just use a soft gel silicone skin, really just for better grip, without it, the iPad's own metal case is too slippery.

5. jojoba macrumors 68000

I carry my iPad with me all the time in my bag, so I want to protect it from getting scratched. I have a sleeve that is big enough to also include the smart cover (as well as the external keyboard when I need it).

6. iEvolution macrumors 65816

Depends, for instance my case doubles as a stand which makes it GREAT for use with the external keyboard.

Also I think for travel it isn't an option rather a necessity for two reasons:
    a) it makes it harder to spot in the general pop, leading to lower risk of getting robbed or getting it stolen. This is actually why I don't travel with it very much especially since I got the top wifi model, that's a lot of money to lose.
    b) the chances of dropping it are likely much higher, since for example, when it is home I'm rarely moving around with it and stays in my bedroom most of the time.

The device has a glass screen, gorilla glass or not, glass isn't unbreakable and in fact breaks very easy. If going for a case I'd go for a leather one or something with extra padding to absorb impact.

7. iKIKO macrumors regular

iKIKO

i have never used a case since ipad 2, just smart covers, and both of them (2 and 3) are in mint condition. they doesnt scratch too easily. just be carefull with them and never drop them :D

8. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

9. pear21 macrumors 6502

pear21

I love the case so I can put it on the stand so I can watch my movies and tv shows!

10. shelhed217 macrumors member

My friend traveled with his iPad 3 in his backpack with just the apple cover, someone on a plane shoved their suitcase on top of his backpack and cracked the iPad screen.

Very recently I was in an airport and dropped my iPad on a tile floor, there are cracks over about 1/3 of the screen. I have an incipio case on the back and the apple cover on the front, none of which covers the corners which is where it hit. Once I get this one replaced I will definitely be picking up a more protective case.

11. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

For me, my viva leather case makes it easier to grip the ipad and hold it for extended periods of time, as well as prop it up + smart sleep/wake function. The cover tends to interfere with the camera function though, so I sometimes have to remove it for when I want to use my ipad as a visualiser or camera in class. :)

12. takeshi74 macrumors 601

With a case. Do what works for you. What others have done isn't relevant.

13. WLS macrumors 65816

For traveling a good protective case is a necessity. A skin or the smart cover will not give you the protection you need. I use a good WaterField case and find I don't need anything else.

14. chokem macrumors 6502

I'm a big believer in cases. I had an Incipio for my iPad 1 and now have the Seidio Active for my ip3.

15. wgnoyes macrumors 6502

I have a Belkin Snap-Shield on the back. Transluscent and gives you somewhat of a non-slip finish. Smart cover over the front.

16. Pompiliu macrumors 6502a

Pompiliu

I have a case for when i travel, but around the house i use my iPad naked. :)

17. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

If at home, naked is okay I guess assuming you're not the clumsy type or have kids around. I would think though, at the bare minimum, you'd get a skin on their or something to prevent scratches. Then again, that's just my POV.

While traveling though, you'd need at least a sleeve to offer some protection from bumps/dings. I use a back cover/smart cover as my daily case however I have bulkier folio type case for my iPad whenever I travel.

18. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

It'll be fine without a case, but if you have 5 - why do you want to risk it?

At any case, I just have my iPad in a folio cover. It's nice because it covers the screen when I throw it in my Backpack.

19. xraytech macrumors 68020

I use a case simply because the iPad 2 & 3 have a harder edge and after a while it the edge kinda digs into my hands. It wasn't like that with the 1st Gen iPad.