Do you really need your iPhone all the time?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by houssein31, Sep 10, 2014.

1. houssein31 macrumors regular

They said that you need an iPhone to use the watch, but do you need it at all times??? Could I go for a run using my watch and keep my phone at home??

I really hope so because I hate running with a phone

2. iBug2 macrumors 68040

You can, but it won't track your running distance, just your heart rate.

3. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

I wonder how many functions will be lost if you just took your :apple:Watch for a run.

4. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

Most.

5. THE JUICEMAN macrumors 68000

THE JUICEMAN

It will be interesting how they spin this. In their videos there isn't an iPhone to be found! They are showing all of these people working out and running 10 miles with no mention or sighting of an iPhone. Hmm

6. Monique1 macrumors regular

My observations as well. And honestly, had I not known the watch fed off the iPhone before the event I'd have never guessed that this "accessory" actually needed one.

7. THE JUICEMAN, Sep 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2015

THE JUICEMAN macrumors 68000

THE JUICEMAN

Do you really need your iPhone all the time?

So after looking at the apple site in a little more detail I found something. Under the features section of the apple watch page it says two things that have me excited.

1 is that it says you can play your music from you watch when you leave your iPhone at home and go for a run!

It also says in a different section that your phones wifi and gps is needed for activity that step tracking won't measure. Such as cycling.

So from what it sounds like we will be able to put some music on the watch, leave your iPhone at home or in a gym locker then go for a workout or run. Based on the steps the watch tracks I believe it will then calculate distance and keep time. It will use that stuff in combination with heart rate to measure calorie burn. Awesome.

I couldn't find the one referencing cycling. (Found it)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

9. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

If they put GPS in the watch the battery will last for an hour. Have you tried using GPS on the phone for any type of sporting activity. I am unable to do a three hour cycle ride on a single charge on the phone with GPS running and always take a backup battery pack.

10. bransoj macrumors 6502a

I managed a 15 mile walk on one charge tracking with RunKeeper which took just over 5hrs and 20mins.

11. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

I cannot imagine how you manage that. I use Runtastic PRO and ride every weekend. I do not make any changes to my phone like switching off 4G. After 2.5 hours the alert to recharge battery comes on and I plug in my external 5,200 mAh charger.

12. bransoj macrumors 6502a

Was back on my 3GS but all i did was turn off Wifi as recommended by Runkeeper for better tracking i suspect and probably didnt really use it for anything else as we were doing it. Fairly sure i finished with about 3% or 4% battery.

Raises questions about how the different apps handle the GPS tracking? I regularly track walks of about 4/5/6 miles when out with the dog and from 100% will return home with 70%/75%.

13. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

This is actually a very smart long term strategy designed to insure a satisfying customer experience. Apple wants to be sure battery life meets expectations. 3ed party apps could significantly shorten battery life if allowed on the aWatch. Apple needs a few months to study how and what these apps do and how they effect the aWatch. Apple can then fine tune the next SKD before allowing full 3ed party app installs on the aWatch.

14. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Yes, not surprising at all. I find it amusing that after the Watch launch some criticized it for even having an SDK and now with the SDK out others are criticizing it for not having native apps out of the gate.

15. BvizioN macrumors 68040

BvizioN

It will, but not the GPS location.

I would have the phone to listen to the music anyway. If I could store the music on the watch and use wireless bluetooth earpeace that would be cool.

16. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

Was there any mention in the SDK of custom watch faces?

17. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

I'm pretty sure it will still count steps as well, along with being able to play (local) music to bluetooth headphones.

18. Andropov macrumors regular

Andropov

The 6th Gen iPod Nano tracks running distance and pace without an iPhone. It's just not as accurate as using GPS, but I'm sure the Apple Watch will track distance, pace and heartbeat without an iPhone. And it can play local music too.

19. Tanegashima macrumors 6502

Yes, you can pick your Apple Watch for a Run, and leave the iPhone behind.

Yes, it will track your run, with better resolution than a GPS, without it having a built-in GPS.

Apple Watch, just like the iPhone 5S onwards, will use inertial tracking. It will integrate accelerometer data to know where you are.

----------

Yes, it will store the music you have on your playlist, and will keep playing after you lose connection to your phone.

Apple holds the patent for that.

----------

Do you own one?

20. Julien, Nov 19, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2014

Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Accelerometer/pedometer tracking is highly inaccurate and is often+/- 30% off on distance accuracy. You can't get any map or location data either. It will NOT know where you are. You must have GPS to determine location info. Tracking WILL require you to have your iPhone paired to your aWatch on the run or bike ride.

For music you will be able to sync (copy) a small Playlist over to the aWatch. You would have to use this Playlist without the iPhone. You can't just be listening on your iPhone and and it "will keep playing after you lose connection to your phone". You would need to switch to the aWatch's music player and will also need BT-LE earphones.

21. tagy macrumors regular

Approximate distance yes, but without GPS it will not know where you are/have been.

22. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

1. The Watch can store music locally.

2. Has anyone thought that your iPhone can track your Apple Watch even if you leave the phone at home. It seems like it would be relatively easy for them to leverage their ability to track devices like they do in "find my iPhone" to track the Watch, which would give runners a look at where they ran and how far.

23. Julien, Nov 19, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2014

Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Tracking doesn't work by magic but requires radio communication. The aWatch only has a BT-LE and WiFi radios. BT and WiFi are high frequency/low power (short range). Find My iPhone requires cell radio to work which the aWatch doesn't have. The aWatch (just like an WiFi iPad) can only use Find My iPhone if connected to a location known WiFi.

24. Tanegashima macrumors 6502

They can trace a path of where you exactly have been.

The add the starting/ending point, and you have a perfect trace.

----------

BS... source?

Map/location data is done through the Internet, not GPS.

Phone for that.

No.

Show me your Apple Watch... you see to already know everything about the Apple Watch, including contradicting what Apple says.

25. tagy macrumors regular

Do you have a source confirming this? I have never seen any device that can trace your path using only accelerometers and gyros.

Due to the way an accelerometer works I don't see how this is possible, but willing to be proved wrong.