Do you really think Apple will drastically change the next iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by PhaserFuzz, Nov 20, 2010.

1. PhaserFuzz macrumors 6502

I know a lot of people here seem to think this, but I just don't see it happening and here's why...

First off, "Retina Display" on a screen that size would be much more costly than the smaller iPhone screen. Unless they raise the price of the iPad, I don't see this happening. If Apple intended for the device to have this screen, they would've included it with the first gen model. Eventually, with the 3rd or 4th gen model, they'll improve it so it can play 1080p video and it'll be a big deal.. "Watch full HD movies, on iPad". At this point, the cost of the screen will go down.

As far as memory goes, I could see them adding 512MB of ram to match the iPhone 4. It wouldn't be that noticeable though and most people wouldn't even realize it's any different. They're not going to add a ton of ram to the next model because that would split up the app store. Developers have to manage all their apps and optimize them each time Apple makes a more powerful device. At that point, they would have like 5 iOS devices to optimize for. That would be a headache for most. Yes, technology evolves.. but it's still too early for Apple to take this step with this device.

Since they're adding Face Time functionality to everything, the next iPad will most likely have a front facing camera. I don't see them adding a back camera, but it's a small possibility.

There's a small chance they'll add a 128GB model for $799. Flash drives are still not cheap so they're not going to make 32GB the entry level just yet.

So those are my thoughts on the next iPad. The biggest change I see is Face Time functionality added. The iPad is still a new device and they're not going to completely revamp it after only a year. Remember, it took 4 years for the big iPhone change. Developers are just now starting to tap into what the latest iOS devices are capable of. There's not much need for improvement at this point since there's not a whole lot of competition. I know there's threads on this, but I figured this might help people with their decision to purchase now or wait. Please correct me if I'm wrong on any of these points though. This is just my opinion after all. ;)

2. JulianL macrumors 65816

I agree with all the above. The only things I'd add are:

1) Gyroscope. I know that some people say no because Apple are trying to get the iPad into more business applications but they're also starting to get some big games on it (e.g. Rage and the Epic Citadel technology demonstrator) and they're already mass producing the gyro for the iPhone 4 so they'll be buying in big volumes and it should be quite cheap. I'd be amazed if they don't up the stakes on the gaming front and add a gyro to the next iPad.

2) Thinner and lighter. This year it was the iPad that gave us our first look at Apple's latest CPU/GPU silicon which we later saw (slightly modified) used in the iPhone 4. With everyone talking about Cortex A9 based systems I would be equally amazed if they don't update the A4 SoC to use more modern internals and if they do it like they did this year then it will be the iPad that will be the first device next year to use it. This will give them a decent (at least 35%) kick in performance per watt which I think they will use to give a very modest performance boost (using less than half the performance gains on the new SoC to actually deliver extra performance) and they'll use the rest to reduce the power draw so that they can get the same or slightly better battery life with a smaller battery which will allow them to make a slightly lighter and thinner device (with the same screen size).

- Julian

3. OSMac macrumors 65816

It needs more ram for Internet use,
    like to see it go to 1GB but 512MB is probably what we will see.

Front facing camera that's a given.

Wish it would have a Retina display
    but I agree with you that's a long shot due to cost.
    Current IPS display is very nice as a well, beats all laptops under 2k.

An Apple wireless gamepad would be nice to release with it.

Hope they improve the wireless N speeds.

Flash would be the ultimate improvement and put other slates out of business,
    But don't see Apple giving in....

4. Ballis macrumors 6502a

i dissagre on the ram. more apps multitasking and better safari performance will require it without apps needing a rewrite.

along with facetime, it might not be revolutionary, but upgrading will be worth it.

5. Dorkington macrumors 6502a

Realistically, I expect 512mb ram. Either multi core, or 1.2ghz processor. Slightly thinner/lighter. Front/Rear camera, probably from the iPod, not the iPhone.

No retina screen, the tech isn't there yet, and if you increase the resolution, it has to be a doubling, otherwise you risk really fragmenting the iOS eco system.

Basically, it'll be a fairly standard incremental improvement. Nothing revolutionary, just evolutionary... and to me, that's perfectly ok. :)

6. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Don't you think there would be press and user uproar across the internet if Apple fitted the iPod camera in the next iPad and not the iPhone version?

Given the size of the iPads screen to more easily see the quality.

7. Dorkington macrumors 6502a

Yes there will be.

But at the same time, it's a profit thing. The iPhone is actually more expensive than the iPad, it's just heavily subsidized, so the users aren't paying much. To me, it seems realistic, in a device they are selling at the price point of the iPad that they will cut corners wherever possible.

I certainly hope they put the better camera in there, but I expect them to use the iPod camera.

8. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

I think we'll see a RAM bump to 512, a front facing camera, a change in the mute switch/volume rocker to match the iPhone 4, and some sort of software update rollout to coincide with release.

Outside of that there really isn't much market pressure for a dramatic upgrade.

9. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

We will see, but I'd think Apple should batten down the hatches and wait for a torrent of anger if they did.

It would tell everyone that Apple saw the iPad as a second class device if they did that.

I think almost everyone would rather pay an extra $20 or whatever the difference is to have a better camera than have every photo/video they took be of worse quality than the phone.

I really can't see Apple being foolish enough to do this as they would know what the public's and press reaction to it would be.

10. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I agree.

But the next iPad has to hold it's own till April 2012, and a lot can happen with the competition between now and then.

Now, they don't have to do much, but they do need to do enough to keep it at the top end for a year after it's launch.

11. Dorkington macrumors 6502a

I honestly hope you are right!

12. Brradley macrumors member

If they can buy Retina Displays cheaply at that size (at mass production prices), then Apple will most likely probably include it in a future update.

At the people saying that apple would have added retina displays in the first place, they probably wouldn't, as they'd want to release the concept and product in their flagship device the iPhone, along with FaceTime, then release it to other products at a later time.

13. trip1ex, Nov 20, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2010

trip1ex macrumors 68000

The usual.

Retina can be done cheaply with a TN panel like on the Touch. Would they go that route? I doubt it. They've already established that nice screen and how nice it looks even if you and a friend are looking at it together.

And remember Retina on a bigger screen would mean much higher pixel count than on iPhone or Touch. The same resolution as iPHone or Touch wouldn't be the same pixel density and so they might even call it Retina.

14. blackNBUK macrumors 6502a

Saying that almost everyone would be prepared to pay extra for a better camera on the iPad seems like a stretch to me. Virtually any front-facing camera is good enough for FaceTime given that your upload bandwidth is the limiting factor. So the question becomes do people want to use a back-facing camera on something the size of an iPad? I'm not sure what the answer to that is; on one hand an iPad will always be larger and more cumbersome than either a smartphone or a compact camera, however on the other hand the iPad screen would be the biggest viewfinder most people have either used.

In any case, the point is that Apple have to decide whether the back-facing camera is going to just be an adjunct to FaceTime or whether it's going to be used for taking photos and videos. Only when they've decided that will they be able to decide whether spending the extra on a better quality camera is worthwhile.

15. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I guess I use that statement as there comes a point when the percentage of having something nicer becomes less important.

EG: You buy a car for $20,000 without a built in CD/MP3 player, or $20,100 with one built in. Sure it's $100 more, but when you are already spending out $20,000 then an extra $100 is neither hear nor there.

Likewise. $599 for an iPad with a rubbish camera, or $519 for an iPad for one with a nice camera.

If both were on the shelf side by side, I can assure you, even if people were not THAT interested in the camera they would say, heck I may as well get the better one, it's only a fraction more.

16. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

First, this is all discussed in a different topics every day it seems. Same conversations.

Second. The iPad won't play 1080p until the appleTV can play 1080p IMO. I think the iOS devises will remain locked to 720p until :apple:TV makes the jump to 1080. Why make it capable if you can't get 1080p from iTunes?

That is why I don't think a retina display is coming any time soon.

17. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

the retina display is not meant for movies. it's meant for reading and therefore it would be great on the iPad.

however putting a high resolution screen in the iPad would require a much faster GPU (4 fold or more) and CPU. It simply would be way too expensive right now.

We will see a resolution independent iOS and high res screens in all devices. But that will take 5+ years or more.

For the next release (i guess April) I expect:

Facetime camera,
    512MB ram
    Optimized A4
    Gyroscope
    Slightly less heavy (weight was the main point that everybody criticized)
    Major update to iOS4 (more important than the hardware changes)
    ATT and Verizon version

18. Dorkington macrumors 6502a

I love how many of you think that Apple is going to quadruple the pixel count of the iPad.

Exactly what mobile CPU/GPU is capable of that? Not to mention, at those resolutions, you're going to want some dedicated video memory currently too.

Exactly how many 9.7 inch super high density screens are there?

This is a couple generations off, guys. Patience. :)

19. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

Some changes predicted here and here.

What worries me is the fact that

1) Apple is going to stop production of current gen iPad in Jan 2011
    > so we may see a new ipad soon after?

2) New thinner design
    > thinner is always better, cooler design but i will have already bought my ipad by then!

20. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

I think we will see just a minor update for version 2.

Maybe a hair faster CPU/GPU, probably 512mb of RAM, probably a FaceTime low-res front camera.

There are not any current mobile GPU's that are going to push 2048x1536 pixel screens (let alone "retina" level resolution.) If we see any resolution bumps in 2011, it will be small, like 1200 x 900 or less. And even then, I doubt that will happen in version 2.

21. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

I know it's meant for reading and pics, I have the iP4 and it's amazing for that.
    Aside from the physical demands of the unit itself, apple seems to believe 720p is the highest quality we need for media. I don't see them even attempting to put on a higher res screen until they get out of that mind set. Regardless, of how it makes the rest of the experience.

22. AnalyzeThis macrumors 6502

1. Price (-$100) on low-end and (-$200) on high-end models
    2. Make it lighter, it is too heavy for a tablet. (BTW, iPhone4 is heavy for a smartphone also. 3G weight is better)
    3. Facetime is a must.

23. Hntjohns macrumors newbie

One more thing...

I agree with all of these, plus one more thing : A Better display (hopefully with a less "smudgy" coating)

24. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

I think Apple will improve it in several minor inexpensive ways. They have no incentive to make any significant changes. The runaway sales discourage much improvement. Especially with the competition lagging so far behind Apple can coast and enjoy even higher profits per unit since it's already paying for itself.

25. Syk macrumors 6502a

They will probably do as you say with the minor upgrades but I disagree.
    They are going to have to step it up, you have the playbook and when Android gets 3.0 and their UI sorted they are going to be more competive