gsucyclist

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2014
I use the cellular function on almost a daily basis. I run about 4 times a week and sometimes for a couple of hours on lnog runs don't like carrying my phone with me and having it flop around. I love being able to listen to my tunes or podcasts and still feel connected without a big phone in my pocket. I also like being able to run to the store and not have to carry my phone. I really don't like having to pay the extra $10 a month, which I think is ridiculous and thought about giving up cellular when I bought the Series 4, but I do use it alot and comes in handy so its worth it to me

Comment

Jason Hensley

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2018
I use cellular almost daily as well. I never thought I would of until I started using it. It's really nice not having to have my phone on me at all times, especially with how big they've gotten.

Comment

deeddawg

macrumors G4
Jun 14, 2010
US
For me, the big things about cellular are:
#1 - no need to carry my phone when I'm out on a run, bike ride, kayaking on the lake, etc -- yet I can still call for help if needed, or even just send a text to let my family know if I'm going to be back later than expected.
#2 - I use Siri a lot when out walking the dogs or working in the yard, on the dock, etc. Adding something to the grocery list, setting a reminder/appointment for something I thought of I need to do, sending a quick text, and even just doing math.

Reactions: dotzero123
Comment

Mr.C

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
One thing no one has mentioned that was my biggest issue with cellular is coverage. You should pay attention to your phone for a few days, or when you get the watch, use the Explorer face and keep an eye on it. For me, I live on the edge of a town of 750,000 people and LTE was simply not good enough for the watch to usable. Also, I work in a rural school that was built in the 50's and while there is LTE there, coverage inside the building was not great, and so again the watch was not really usable. I could leave my phone in the classroom and head up to the office and the watch might switch to LTE, it might not. If it does not work close to 100% of the time, I cannot rely on it enough to leave my phone. To me it seemed like the watch was not good with less than excellent LTE strength. Granted this was a S3.

TL;DR: Get a good handle on LTE in your area first. If it is at all spotty, the cellular watch is useless.

It's really weird. I'm sure I've got the cellular plan successfully transferred from my Series 3 to Series 4 and yet when I use the Explorer face it does not show my cellular signal strength which I thought it's suppose to do. :confused:

Comment

deeddawg

macrumors G4
Jun 14, 2010
US
It's really weird. I'm sure I've got the cellular plan successfully transferred from my Series 3 to Series 4 and yet when I use the Explorer face it does not show my cellular signal strength which I thought it's suppose to do. :confused:
Odd, just looked and have the same issue. AT&T

Comment

deeddawg

macrumors G4
Jun 14, 2010
US
So it's not only me. Hmmm... that's very strange. Any one else having the same issue or anyone who has got it working okay ?
For what it's worth, I did a setup-as-new so it's not an artifact of restoring a backup.

Comment

Luba

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2009
Yeah, monthly fee is high, especially with the taxes added in. I would think the carriers would make more money by lowering the monthly fee so more people would sign up. I don't know anyone personally who has it except me. Another benefit that's not mentioned is that it saves the battery on your iPhone because you would use it less. Your battery usage is spread out between your AW and your iPhone.

Comment

Treebark

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2010
Provides great peace of mind...no longer fretting over a phone forgotten at home. Sadly, that happens fairly frequently with some in the family, lol. But when it does they still call, text and I think at least once already walkietalkie'd (which we use a lot more than I thought we would).

Comment

vintagekeys

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2018
Hong Kong
I think Cellular only works fantastic in Hong Kong, but its very small with great coverage all around, i think for most larger countries its not the best solution, when i move back to holland next year, i wont be able to use my AW only as my daily phone due coverage issues in certain places.

Comment

xxray

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2013
I would love to have the cellular version. It’s super annoying worrying about my phone while lifting, especially since it’s a big phone. If I could just track my workouts and choose music on my wrist, that’d be so convenient. However, I’d have a huge increase in cost to get cellular.
  • I have a prepaid phone service, so I’d have to switch to postpaid to be able to get cellular. That’s an extra $35/mo.
  • I’d have to pay $10/mo for cellular for the watch.
  • I’d have to spend $100 more up front.
  • I’d want to switch to Apple Music to be able to have any song I want from my wrist, but I greatly prefer Spotify, and I’d miss out on the Spotify + Hulu + ShowTime bundle I have as a student.
Those are just way too many downsides for me to pay for a little bit more convenience.

Comment

DontGetTheCheese

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2015
I would love to have the cellular version. It’s super annoying worrying about my phone while lifting, especially since it’s a big phone. If I could just track my workouts and choose music on my wrist, that’d be so convenient. However, I’d have a huge increase in cost to get cellular.
  • I have a prepaid phone service, so I’d have to switch to postpaid to be able to get cellular. That’s an extra $35/mo.
  • I’d want to switch to Apple Music to be able to have any song I want from my wrist, but I greatly prefer Spotify, and I’d miss out on the Spotify + Hulu + ShowTime bundle I have as a student.
Those are just way too many downsides for me to pay for a little bit more convenience.

Have the exact same problem. I Have a prepaid at $42.xx with fees and taxes and all of that applies.

Ironically, my Fenix 5+ Will download Spotify playlists now, making it even harder to switch.

Comment

darthbane2k

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
Does your gym have WiFi? If so you can get to your music that way.

Comment

anticipate

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2013
I use it as a backup emergency phone, essentially, and for when I forget my phone or don't want to carry it (like at the gym; though it uses wifi there). I also use it on walks, just to have nothing to carry.

I have found I can use it for a solid 4 hours or so on LTE only and still get a full day out of it, so it's great to have that option of not lugging the phone around.

Comment

Scott-n-Houston

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2008
Houston (duh)
I have the occasional need to go into buildings where cameras, and therefore, cell phones with cameras are prohibited. I have coworkers with an old school flip phone as a result, but for me, my watch fits the bill perfectly. I noticed the battery drains much faster even if I'm not actively using it to stream or call, etc, but it's still more than adequate. When I'm with my phone, my battery drains about 1-2% an hour or sometimes less (when not actively using it), but closer to 8-10% when on LTE.

Comment

alunjunkinsuk

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2016
I use it all the time down the beach , out on bike , kitesurfing and often I leave the phone at home to avoid distraction. Still like to have the ability to make emergency calls and have the wife find me. She is the same she hates carrying phone when running but loves the safety of having the watch and being locatable as she does a lot of trail running alone

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.