Do you remember your first Apple/PC?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iJew, Apr 12, 2009.

1. iJew macrumors newbie

I remember, I was 4 or so when we got our first computer, a Performa 6300. It ran System 7 I believe. Should've kept it for some retro-computing.
    I'll try to list every Apple product I've ever owned:

:apple:
    Macintosh Performa 6300
    :apple: StyleWriter Printer
    iMac G3 Slot Loading, Graphite, 500 MHz
    iMac G3 Slot Loading, Indigo, 600 MHz
    iMac G3 Tray Loading, Orange, 233 MHz
    iBook G3 Clamshell, Blue, 466 MHz
    eMac 800 MHz
    iPod 3G, 15 GB HDD
    iPod Photo, 20 GB HDD
    iPod Video, 30 GB HDD
    iPod Nano 1G, 1 GB Flash
    iPod Touch, 8GB 1G
    iPhone, 8GB
    iPod Classic Black, 80 GB HDD
    iBook G3 Snow, 600 MHz
    iMac Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.66 GHz
    MacBook White, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.0 GHz
    (soon) Unibody MacBook Intel Core2Duo, 2.0 GHz

I may have owned more than that, but I can't recall everything right now. That is not including stuff like keyboards and Airport, etc.

So, I may be a "newbie" to MacRumors. But I'm definitely not a newbie to Apple. :p
    Just give me some time to make some more posts.

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

My first computer, a Compuadd PC, was purchased in 1991. It had 2 MB of RAM, ran at 20 MHz, and had a 40 MB harddrive.

3. iJew thread starter macrumors newbie

Was it a PC?

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Our first PC was in 96, Advent system. My first Mac was in 2004 - a snazzy little PowerBook. Remember both systems but they weren't too long ago. Still using my first computers (Amiga 600) mousemat!

5. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Apple IIe was the first for me.

6. LizKat macrumors 68030

LizKat

My first personal computer - in 1983 or so, a Compaq "luggable" (38 pounds) with a 9 inch screen and two 5-1/4" floppy disk drives, it screamed along at 12 MHz.

My first Apple machine - in 1985, a 512k unenhanced Macintosh. I loved it. It was the beginning of the end of my use of DOS machines the night I unwrapped that Macintosh on my kitchen table and booted it up for the first time. I played with MacPaint until 2:00am :)

7. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Yep i do to well i think

Our first ever PC, was a 286 with a 40 MB HDD running dos 4 and the screen was able to display Black, Blue, Yellow i think

The first mac was a Se /30 black and white and i remember having a external scsi Zip drive and 800 MB Scsi hdd also. Running systgem 7.5

8. -hh macrumors 68020

-hh

An Apple ][+, bought used in 1983 with a 300 baud modem and two 5.25" floppy drives.

IIRC, its motherboard was marked "Revision G"; date was 1977?

I recall that the 13" color CRT was another $450...or was that the cost of the 9 pin dot matrix printer? My recollections are that by the time that I had the CRT and printer, the total cost was $2,500-$3,000. Fortunately, I had a high paying job...which in those days was around $20K/year.

-hh

9. tdgrn macrumors 6502

I remember the first computer I got to use on a day to day basis. I was approximately 5 (I'm 22 now). It was a Packard Bell, and the only thing I really remember about it is that the speakers were attached to the CRT monitor (I was amazed at the way they could do that) and that I played Mega-Race on it, but it didn't run very well. CDs had just come out, and it just had a CD-ROM. Good times :D Way before the internets

10. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

I have no idea the specs, but it was around 1999 in India. I was 5 years old, so yeah.

Then in '01 we moved to the U.S.

In '03, we got a Gateway, We still use it as a video-camera data storage unit for surveillance tapes.
    Then in '05 or '04, my brother got a Acer laptop that ran a 1.0Ghz AMD processor.

In '06, he sold it and got a HP that my dad uses to this day. 1.6Ghz Pentium Dual-Core, 80GB Hard drive. 1GB RAM

In '07, my brother bought a laptop "for my dad". Dell Vostro 1500, 1.6Ghz Core2Duo, 2GB RAM, 160GB Hard drive. He uses it to this day.

Christmas of '07, my brother built a computer for me. Core2Duo 2.2Ghz. 1GB RAM (Upgraded this year to 2x 2GB). 160GB Hard drive (Upgraded late '08 to a 1TB). Diamond HD2600xt 256MB graphics card

I know I'm not accurate as of dates, but yeah. That's about how it goes.

11. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

first PC we had was in my dad's carpet cleaning buisness office/den in our old house when i was 3.

windows 3.1

i remember playing a lot of 'Jill of the Jungle'

12. andreab35 macrumors 6502a

andreab35

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/7A259g Safari/525.20)

My first computer I had was an HP Pavilion with Windows 95. That was one of the computers with the speakers attached to the monitor. When my Dad brought home the box I cried because I was afraid of it!
    But I loved using that thing. I learned so much. At the age of 8 I already knew how to factory restore the system with its recovery CDs. I did that on a bimonthly basis.
    In 2006 I received a Gateway M275 tablet. Awesome laptop at the time. It was a joy being my first laptop. Got a good deal on eBay for it! Once I stuck Vista on there, it was all over.
    Now my pride and joy is my Rev. B MacBook Air. Its a beauty and a charm. I'm speechless about it because, well, its such an awesome little machine!

13. mac88 macrumors 6502

I think it was a Tandy 1000 from Radio Shack. I used it for a long time before we upgraded. I loved playing Flight Simulator on it.

14. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

my first computer was indeed a macintosh LC with stylewritter printer, and cd-room. I still have it but it doesn't work. Left for a few years and went to gateway's... man was that i mistake.

15. Reventon macrumors 6502

First computer for me was back in 1993. It was a (then) top-of-the-line 486 with 8MB of RAM and ran on Windows 3.1. I don't remember exactly how much hard drive space it had, but was probably around 60 MB or so. We then had a 386 over time, and a Pentium I on Win '95. My first computer with internet was back in 2000. It was an Intel Celeron 500 mHz with a whopping 128 MB RAM and 10 GB of hard drive space, running on Windows 98 (I'd later use Windows ME (*shudder*), and XP . That lasted till 2005 when my dad bought me an HP Pavillion with 512MB RAM and 160GB (with XP and later Vista again *shudder*). That was replaced on March of this year with this iMac that I bought myself. This is my first Mac, though I have used old Apple IIe's, Macintosh Classics, and various other older Macs in elementary and junior high school, right up to the G3 iMacs (tangerine orange)in high school. Oh, we also had an old Atari computer of some sort from 1979, but that didn't really count as it only can play video games but did also have a primitive word processing program.

16. samiwas macrumors 65816

I got my first computer on Christmas in 1983...an Apple IIc. I later got a mouse, color monitor, and ImageWriter printer.
    - Macintosh LCII (August 1993)..>I think I got it after it was discontinued, because I outgrew it immediately.
    - Powerbook ?? (September 1997)
    - Powerbook G3 (1999)
    - Powerbook G4 (March 2002)
    - Powerbook G4 17" ( February 2003)
    - MacBook Pro 17" (April 2007)

I don't know all the code names like Powerbook Blacksmith Mambazzo or anything, so what you see is what you get!

17. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

Amiga 1000

Best machine for years after that.

18. alexlovesmacs macrumors 6502a

I remember my first pc in 1998 an IBM my dad brought it home from work I don't remember the model it was running DOS and it had a golf game I remember playing it. Then I got a custom made pc my dad bought from the IT guy at work it ran Windows 98. Then A Dell dimension that ran Windows Me. And my current machine A Dell Dimension 4700 XP machine thats driving me crazy at the moment Then soon I'll get my precious aluminum MacBook:D

19. alexlovesmacs macrumors 6502a

20. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Tooled around with Dad's Apple IIs and Performa.

But first Apple product was the first generation iBook. That thing looked great but worked only so-so with 32 MB of RAM. But when I upped it to 160 MB of RAM, it worked like a charm. Great memories.

My first PC was a homebuilt tower I bought from a newspaper ad. It didn't look all that pretty but worked very well. Windows 98 SE was far more stable than the awful Windows 3.1 I had encountered at work. I later put Windows NT 4.0 Server on it and it held up pretty well, too. Good computer.

21. bentley macrumors 6502

I think it was a Commodore machine in around 92/93 that ran Windows 3.1 I don't know anything more about it except that it had a physical key to lock it from starting up.

I used to play Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis and Day of the Tentacle ALL THE TIME. Loved it.

22. gjw4u macrumors 6502

Apple ][e; 1st gen. Macintosh; Mac SE; Dell Optiplex GXa; Dell DIMENSION 8250 / P4 2.80 GHz / 1 Gb RAM; iMac coming soon

23. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

The first computer I really used a lot was my brother in law's Tandy 1000. I used to play games on it and do papers for school in junior high.

I finally convinced by Dad to buy a computer when I was in maybe 9th grade (1990) . We bought a custom built IBM compatible 386 SX16. It ran at 16mhz and had like 2mb of ram and a 40mb hard drive. Of course it came installed with the highly anticipated Windows 3.1, and had both a 5.25 and a 3.5 floppy drive. Wow, what great memories of playing Joe Montana Football and PGA Tour Golf with crazy joysticks that looked straight out of Tron. Oh and we had a super fast dot matrix printer to go with it. Nothing like ripping off the perforated sides and separating each of your pages. Boy could you make some cool banners to hang up around the house though.

I used macs in school regularly and in college met my wife who was already a die hard Apple person due to her dad being a fan since 84. Shortly after getting married in 2002 we bought our first mac, a G4 Powerbook. We haven't looked back since and have only added to our collection. Thanks for the great thread, it's been fun going down technology memory lane. :D

24. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

I had a similar Zenith sitting in my garage for a couple of years that I picked up somewhere.

My first PC was a Compaq Contura Aero 486SX-25 with 4 MB RAM and 160 MB HD. External floppy drive and I had a really great Cannon BubbleJet printer to go with it!

25. Queso macrumors G4

The first computer I owned (rather than it being my older brother's) was an Amiga 500. After Commodore died I moved over to the Mac and bought a Performa 630CD, with a MASSIVE 8MB RAM and a 520MB HD. It ran System 7.1 and couldn't even run QuickTime movies properly without having to pause occasionally to allow the memory to catch up :)D). Later I upped the RAM to 36MB which made a world of difference on that front, but I still remember being totally blown away by the speed of its eventual replacement, an iMac DV400 :)

I had those in the CD versions, with real actor's speech. Brilliant games. Unfortunately something sticky got spilt on them during one of my house moves and I couldn't put them into the Mac in the end, as they would only decide to come out again with the help of a breadknife (not something you really want to be inserting into your computer if you can help it). I also had Sam and Max Hit The Road which suffered the same fate. Big shame :(