Do you rent movies from iTunes?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iParis, Dec 28, 2008.

?

Do you rent movies from iTunes?

1. Yes.

20 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. I have once or twice, but I don't like it.

9 vote(s)
    15.0%
  3. Nope. Maybe once the lower the price to $.99.

10 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. No. And I never plan on it.

21 vote(s)
    35.0%
  1. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

I have never rented a movie from iTunes and don't plan on it.
    Just doesn't seem worth it.

2. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

Netflix here, they rock! I get a new movie 2 days after I return one.

3. iParis thread starter macrumors 68040

iParis

I have Netflix too, just keep forgetting to mail out the movies.
    Lol.

4. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

Hey you Netflix users should look at the iT.V app assuming you have an iPhone or iPT. That App. allows you to access your online Netflix content and other things related to it. Worth a look...:)

Oh and about rentals, I tried it a couple of times but it's really not worth it. I think they should lower the price and extend the time you can watch it once you've started.

5. iParis thread starter macrumors 68040

iParis

Thanks for the adivice.

And they should definitely make it where you can watch the movie two or three times.

6. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Agree.

I wish that we had 72 hours to watch the movie instead of 24 hours. And that during this period, we could watch the movie as many times as we wanted.

7. hexonxonx macrumors 601

8. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Yes, on my apple tv. I hardly ever watch a movie more then once, and its quick, cheap and easy. (we have U.S. itunes accounts so its cool)

The apple tv is one of the best things that ever happened to T.V.
    I don't need any tivo function, when I had it I never used it.
    I love everything being so apply, and at my fingertips. Also the podcasts are better than TV sometimes :p

9. pinback pro macrumors member

pinback pro

i rented a movie once. the quality was very good. it was fun to watch it, and that was the only reason we did it. $4 is a lot to pay for a movie, when there are 2 movie stores within a half mile and i can rent 4 movies for that price. thats 4 new releases at that price. so its just not worth it. maybe if i had apple tv, it would be easier and more convenient, but i'm not buying that device until it has blue ray. otherwise, yoyo is right...its the best thing since color tv in my opinion.

10. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Yes, I have rented quite a few
    A lot less trouble for me than going to a store
    I've had not problems or complaints

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

No offense to you, but what is the point of creating a thread about this? At least throw us a bone and give us a reason why other than it is not worth it.

For sake of posterity, here is my take. Renting movies on iTunes replaces the need to go to the store or wait for the mail. Although, only being able to watch the movie for 24 hours is indeed a bit of a problem for me. I've rented a handful of movies, but one night the movie would not download due to my internet connection being slow. So I had to wait until it did download, which ended up being the next day. I was busy the next day and the day after, which is ok because the 24 hour clock doesn't start until you start the movie.

The kicker though is that once I did start the movie I fell asleep and before I knew it, the movie had expired. My bad I am sure, but I would like a little more control over this myself.

I think the pricing of the rentals is decent, I wouldn't mind them being a dollar less since it is not like iTunes has to pay rent on a buidling and such, but that's just me.

The chief argument I read in other forums is that renting movies sucks over Blockbuster and Netflix because you can't "copy" the movie if you liked it. My argument back is you can't copy the movie if you like it regardless because it's against the law. :rolleyes:

I am a member of both Netflix and Blockbuster. I joined Netflix because they offer Blu-ray rentals. I'm canceling one when I move, most likely Blockbuster due to Netflix having a more extensive list of documentaries to view.

12. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

My two complaints are their library is very limited...
    And many of the titles are available only for purchase and not for rent

Other than that, I have been happy with my download and watch experience

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

13. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

No for me

I live outside the town/city area so internet speed is not that great, its just not worth the hassle of downloading, I do have a very good rental package by post, so i dont really have a need for it

14. KyPosey macrumors regular

KyPosey

RedBox is $1 and Mondays i have free codes...so nope not going to until apple goes with .99 rentals.

15. pisces03x macrumors regular

Yup, I rent them on Apple TV in HD. If Apple offers HD Movies to own, however, that's what I'm going to be doing.

16. Diaresi macrumors regular

I only ever rent the 99p Film Of The Week if it's any good. But when you consider most rentals are £3.49, and here in the UK you can go with a postal rental service whereby you pay £15.65/month (for 3 DVDs at a time, an unlimited amount in a month), it's an absolute rip-off!

Quite frankly I think you have to be a muppet to buy a movie from iTunes :rolleyes:

17. iParis thread starter macrumors 68040

iParis

I don't think it's worth it because you pay $3.99 to watch the movie ONCE.
    When I can just use Netflix and watch it as many times as I want.

18. gjw4u macrumors 6502

Note yet available from the Swiss iTunes Store...:(

19. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

Hell no and I never will, my Local shop offers it 99p for 2 days which I would rather use :)

20. sanPietro98 macrumors 6502a

sanPietro98

I rent movies via Apple TV all the time, but never from iTunes directly. I don't see the point of watching a movie on my computer though.

21. joakandr macrumors newbie

Rentals should last longer, 24 hours for the rental price is a ripoff

22. iParis thread starter macrumors 68040

iParis

Fer sure.
    Someone else and I were thinking they should raise it to 72 hours, let us watch it two or three times, and lower the price to either 99 cents or $1.99.

23. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

No, and I don't plan on it in the near future. I have the Blockbuster Total Access Plan (like Netflix), so that's where I get all mine from.

Either money is no object to you or you don't watch many movies. If I bought all the movies I watched, I would have a good sized pile of crap.

24. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

i freaking love Netflix! wooot!

i do not rent from iTunes, but i answered as "maybe if price is lowered" because if/when i go off to college within two years then no more Netflix. :(

25. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

I rented a movie once and it's nice but I'd rather have Netflix, I really dont like the 24 hour period that you have to watch it in once you start.

Quick Question: Does Boxee have netflix support like the 360?

ChrisN