Do you replace your iPhone battery after 1 year?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SomeDudeAsking, Nov 24, 2010.

1. SomeDudeAsking macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148)

On the Apple site about the iPhone 4, it days that the iPhone battery can sustain up to 400 full charges while going down to 80% of the original capacity in the best case scenario. Older iPhone versions probably have even worse battery characteristics.

So for all you heavy iPhone users, do you usually replace your iPhone battery after 1 year to maintain decent battery life? (by comparison, the iPad is stated to take 1000 full charges to go down to 80% of the original capacity. The iPhone 4 battery seems only to be good for only 1 year.)

Sent from my Scientology phone. :)

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I have an original iPhone, and while it was replaced 3 times, the last time was over 18 months ago, and the battery keeps a great charge even today. I charge it up every night (well, my dad now), so there should be no need unless you drain it every day.

TEG

3. stisdal macrumors 6502

stisdal

I have upgraded every year :D but my "cast off's" have been handed down to the wife and daughter (they aren't tech junkies like me) and both are still doing great on battery through year 2...

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I had the iPhone "classic" (original) as I like to call it for two years and the battery was great the whole time. I now have a 3GS which I got on launch day and it's battery is equally as awesome. I charge it every night and usage varies day to day, but it almost always lasts me a full day.

5. SomeDudeAsking thread starter macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148)

But what about checking the change in battery life from the original battery life?

6. MDePew24 macrumors regular

MDePew24

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I replaced the battery on my 3G about 20 months in. It made a huge difference. I was very pleased.

Whether my original battery had gotten worse over time or the newer batteries were simply better than the older kind, I don't know. Whatever the reason, I thought it was worth it.

That was almost 2 years, though. I don't know if I'd notice a difference after one year.

8. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Not here. I charge my phone at least every 2 days too. Otherwise I run it for 3-4 days and charge it.

A lot of people I know have had their phones for over a year and its fine.

9. vong macrumors 6502a

vong

how much will it cost to replace an iphone 4 battery @ the apple store?

10. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/service/battery/

According to this site, the cost is $79.

Note that Apple might simply replace the iPhone with a refurbished phone rather than actually changing the battery in your phone.

11. SomeDudeAsking thread starter macrumors 65816

If you do it at through Apple it will cost you about $90 in total. And I don't think they actually change your battery, you just get a refurbished phone.

For the iPhone 4, it's looks like it is actually relatively easy to change the battery. The actual battery is only like $15-$20 from EBay. I think the Apple way is a rip off for something that takes 10 minutes to do.

12. jasonforisrael macrumors regular

i've never replaced the battery in any of my iphones, ever.

13. Mabyboi macrumors 6502

Mabyboi

I seem to need to re charge my iphone EVERY DAY. The battery just doesnt hold out as long as i expected it to.... do they make a higher capacity battery?

14. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Nope.

You can buy external battery chargers though
    [​IMG]

15. SomeDudeAsking thread starter macrumors 65816

Not yet, I have a battery case on order though. Should be good to give me a combined total of 20 hrs of wifi browsing.

16. SomeDudeAsking thread starter macrumors 65816

I don't like the idea of those external battery chargers that hang off the end. Seems like a good way to snap something off and wreck the 30pin port.

17. Mabyboi macrumors 6502

Mabyboi

This kinda ruins the sleek look of the iphone 4, and i dont want the external "case" thats also a battery cause it will ruin the look of the white iphone 4....

18. eye macrumors 6502a

eye

I had the original iPhone for three years. Never replaced it. Charged it while I slept every night. Worked perfectly until I sold it. Probably still working perfectly for that person.

19. SomeDudeAsking thread starter macrumors 65816

Even this case?

http://blogmatiz.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/IPHONE-4-WHITE-CASE-2-FC8-3.jpg

20. SomeDudeAsking thread starter macrumors 65816

But how many hours of wifi browsing does it actually do now? I'm guessing it would be 3 or 4 hours at most now.

21. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

It's not really for looks, its just something to charge your phone with while you are on the go, because you might have not have a power outlet everywhere you go.

22. darkside flow macrumors 6502

30 months later, my iPhone 3G still has not needed a replacement. Usage time has gone down from 5 hours to about 4 1/2 hours, but still works great for a 2 1/2 year old phone.

I should add that I used it heavily. I'm actually surprised it still functions.