Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you save the first and last names of everyone in your phone/address book?

• Sí.

Votes: 73 80.2%
  • No.

Votes: 18 19.8%

• Total voters

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
Yes I do, and I'm only 15. I can't stand it when people only use first names. I also insist on a picture.

Don

Krafty

macrumors 601
Dec 31, 2007
La La Land
If I can, yes. If not, I usually try to find the first letter but I have almost everyones last name in my address book.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
Absolutely full name...I've got at least 100 contacts. No way that would work out if I only had first names. "Well I called Mike earlier by accident, should have dialed mike, though I can't remember who MIKE is, or Mike1, or Mikey...." :p

Rapmastac1

macrumors 65816
Aug 5, 2006
In the Depths of the SLC!
I have always done first and last names, even on my iChat and AIM contact lists.

I use a Blackberry so I obviously have more options for my contacts. I don't have many pictures yet but I"m working on it. But not only do I have their last names, but I usually have their cell #, work #, and home #, along with their job, job title, and where they live, and some have their corresponding email addresses as well. This is for friends and business contacts.

When I meet new people, I just start off with their cell number and their first and last name, as well as a nick-name. Once they get upgraded to "friend" then I will ask for the rest of the info.

seven7seven

macrumors regular
May 5, 2009
first and last name every time - no last initials even.
cept maybe 3 or 4 people with nicknames instead of names

bbbensen

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2008
I mostly have only first names, but when there is a duplicate I add their last initial. I need to figure out how to have my phone sort by first names though...

Pixellated

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
Ever since I got the iPhone I use both names. It is just easier. People act a bit strange when I ask to take a photo for their contact card though. :D

yoyo5280

macrumors 68000
Feb 24, 2007
Melbourne, Australia & Bay Area
Yes I do, and I'm only 15. I can't stand it when people only use first names. I also insist on a picture.

Don

I do aswell, though it really bugs me how my phone searches english names stored that way.

As for pictures, In my mac address book everyone has one but my current phone does'nt have sync support

I am also 15.

-omi

Shotglass

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
My address book has first and last names and that gets synced to my iPhone, so yeah. It's really handy because parents aren't very creative with their kids' names these days.

pelicanflip

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2009
NYC
Nope, definitely not. I usually enter just their first name, but if there are duplicates, i add the last name as well.

Also, I have certain nicknames for people, so I'll enter those as well.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
Ever since I got the iPhone I use both names. It is just easier. People act a bit strange when I ask to take a photo for their contact card though. :D

that's one thing i don't ask - is the photo for the contact pic. seems kind of weird no? i know how the person is :)

Demosthenes X

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2008
that's one thing i don't ask - is the photo for the contact pic. seems kind of weird no? i know how the person is :)

I add photos later from my iPhoto gallery... if I don't have one I wait until I do. Very rarely do I take their photo just for the phone book! :)

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
I have first and last for the vast majority of my contacts, but there are some that I don't. Like my handyman I have listed as "Randy Handyman," because I can never remember his last name and I would search for Randy or Handyman anyway. :p

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
First and last names for most people. A couple of my friends go by nicknames so I just have the single name in for them.

doubleohseven

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Yep. I always put my friends' last names after their first names in my phone's contacts. Although I only have 50 or so contacts in my phonebook, I still add their last names because I know more than 3 Anthony's, for example. That's probably the main reason why I add last names. Even when I add my name to their (my friend's) phone's contacts, I always add my last name.

gusious

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2007
Greece
Yup i do that or else i get confused as every normal guy would get (like the example with the jessicas :p )

Xavier

macrumors demi-god
Mar 23, 2006
Columbus
I will always enter some ones first and last names into my phonebook. Just makes it easier.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.