Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Another user in this thread prevously mentioned a loss of less than 1% of battery per hour.

Over 12 hours that racks up to maybe a 10-12 percent loss.

How is that a waste of power?

It likely wouldn’t be consuming very much power at all. If the always on display likely relies on Apples coprocessor, which is the same functionally that uses ‘Hey Siri’ hands free when low power mode is not activated.

Reactions: eyoungren

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
It'd be nice to have the choice. Pretty impressive/useful on the Samsungs imo.

Another Android feature Apple needs to implement is swiping down from anywhere on the Home Screen to access Control Centre & Notifications.

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
It'd be nice to have the choice. Pretty impressive/useful on the Samsungs imo.

Another Android feature Apple needs to implement is swiping down from anywhere on the Home Screen to access Control Centre & Notifications.

I find the swipe down to search far more useful, but it would be nice to have the option

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
No one wants it now, until it's implemented then it'll no doubt be amazing.

The X is missing at least having a time feature that's always on. Sure, I can tap the phone to check the time but if it is stood on my desk charging, it'd be nice to be able to just glance at it. And I feel the same with notifications.

I'd love to see it, personally.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
No one wants it now, until it's implemented then it'll no doubt be amazing.

The X is missing at least having a time feature that's always on. Sure, I can tap the phone to check the time but if it is stood on my desk charging, it'd be nice to be able to just glance at it. And I feel the same with notifications.

I'd love to see it, personally.
I would always like it at night as my clock so many times I wake up wondering how long til I have to get up for work so be nice to know the time personally. Notifications would be a plus to see whats there incase i miss a whatsapp message for example.

Reactions: Aneres11

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
I find the swipe down to search far more useful, but it would be nice to have the option

Many more would benefit from being able to swipe down anywhere I think.

Besides, there's a search field when swiping left from the Home Screen.

Not sure why there are two of them (search fields)...

Fille84

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2013
It's always nice to if you have any new notifications without having to wake up the screen so yes I would love to see aod on the iPhone.

Reactions: eyoungren

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Tap to Wake serves me just fine. To be honest, I would much rather have Dark mode :)

I agree. YouTube just recently implemented dark mode for the mobile application, and I find myself actually using it all the time versus not having it. It’s just an easier transition to read and on your eyes.

Reactions: Raist3001

neil74

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2017
Having used this on android it is a very nice feature. My IPX is currently sitting in the draw while I use an android phone and the lack of AOD is one of the reasons for that as I have got so used to having it. Being able to see notifications and stuff without touching your phone is just very useful imo.

The Samsung implementation is easily the worst at 1% an hour, on the Pixel 2 and V30 for example it is nowhere near that.

I just think apple want you to buy a watch and think that an AOD would impact on watch sales.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I just think apple want you to buy a watch and think that an AOD would impact on watch sales.

The Apple Watch does not have an always on display. It Has a momentary display were you can have it activated for 15 or 70 seconds, or; simply by touching the display.

neil74

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2017
I know that, but just think if the phone has an AOD it does remove one of the reasons for owning the watch.

Dodgeman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2016
I know that, but just think if the phone has an AOD it does remove one of the reasons for owning the watch.

Was one of my thoughts exactly. I tried the AOD and saw no point for it really. Phone mainly stays in my pocket ALL DAY. The Watch lets me know if i miss anything. Cool feature though.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
Personally I would have no use for an AOD, but I can't fault someone for wanting it. An always on clock could be nice though.

On the plus side, iOS after 10 years is finally getting to the point where it has *most* of the things people want.

But dear god, give us a dark mode. Smart invert doesn't count, it's still weird and unnatural.

Reactions: Brandonjr36
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.