Do you still buy DVDs if Blu-rays are not available?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by applefan289, May 22, 2012.

1. applefan289 macrumors 68000

There are many movies on DVD that have not transferred over yet to Blu-ray (even though Blu-ray has been out for 6 years :confused: ).

Do you still buy DVDs if the movie you're looking for isn't available on BD?

2. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

No. If it hasn't been transferred over to blu-ray yet, it's either a really old movie, or a movie not worth waiting for it on blu anyways.

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Yes, I do sometimes. But it's been a long time since I bought any disc-based movie. I've actually starting buying some movies on iTunes through my Apple TV recently.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I generally only buy movies for my children and I don't see the value of sticking strictly with BR

5. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I haven't got a blu-ray player. So I still use DVD. I tried iTunes once but found the quality unbearable.

6. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Have you tried iTunes recently? They're pushing 1080p now and it looks fabulous on my Apple TV3.

7. TheNewDude macrumors 6502a

No, i refuse to buy a DVD now. With all the 1080p displays I have in the house and the BluRay players, it's useless to spend money on Standard Def media.

It's not often that I buy movies, but if I do, I will only buy BluRays.

8. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

I've only about a half dozen Blu-ray disks but have bought probably hundreds of DVDs since getting a Blu-ray player. Reason -- I'm interested in old movies and TV programs, particularly British imports. These usually aren't available as Blu-ray, ones that I've tried aren't any better in Blu-ray, and Blu-ray costs more money.

Add to that Blu-ray is a bag of hurt.

9. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Tried it once when? When iTunes TV shows first came out in 320x240? :p

While I agree that most of the 1080P video on iTunes often don't match that of BD, it does do a better job than most DVD versions of the same content.

IDK, perhaps I am not too much of a video aficionado. :eek:

10. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Hmmm... I might have to give it another chance.

11. applefan289 thread starter macrumors 68000

Any way to hook up Apple TV to a 5.1 channel home theater system? That may be the solution for me since I can't stand non-HD content on my 55" TV.

iTunes has some movies in HD that are not yet on Blu-ray.

Also, I just read that a few movies I've been waiting for have no plans on coming to Blu-ray...so yeah, I'm kind of stuck between DVD and iTunes.

12. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

HDMI to your receiver? That's how mine is connected.

13. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

I buy both, actually. Just recently got a PS3 so I now have Blu-ray capabilities now. I bargain hunt for my media so whether it's SD or Blu-ray, doesn't really matter to me. For Blu-ray, I got the "must have" sets like Star Wars and Lord of the Rings. I pick up random Blu-rays/DVD's here and there so either or is fine with me. But now, I will only buy my top favorite movies on Blu-ray and get the other nice-to-have movies on DVD.

14. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

15. applefan289 thread starter macrumors 68000

So I would connect an HDMI cable from the Apple TV to the home theater system, and the home theater system would have its own connection via HDMI to the TV?

16. NewAnger macrumors 6502a

like others, I don't have a BR player. I have a Sony DVD player from 1998 or so that still works perfectly but I haven't bought a DVD since about 2006.

Since then, I've been buying movies and TV shows on iTunes in HD.

I did buy a Apple TV back in January with hopes that I could buy a HD TV with my tax refund, but that didn't work out. Maybe next year for the TV.

17. InuNacho macrumors 65816

InuNacho

The flea market sells legit DVDs 4 for $10, at a price like that why wouldn't I buy them?

18. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

If your receiver has HDMI capabilities you run HDMI "OUT" to the back of your TV. Then everything else you run to HDMI "IN" Then when you select that source from your receiver ( whether it be cable, dvd, apple tv, etc.) your TV will display that source.

19. applefan289 thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks, my receiver is actually a new "Blu-ray home theater system", so it has all those capabilities.

I just checked iTunes, and the prices for the HD movies are actually pretty expensive. They're essentially the price of physical media.

20. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I honestly have a difficult time seeing a difference between BR and the 1080p that iTunes pushes. The first 1080p movie I watched from iTunes was the newer Star Trek movie and it looked great.

I know that on paper, BR is technically better, but for everyday viewing, I just can't see the difference most times, and I'm quite happy with it.

21. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

Buy Movies?

What? What is this? The last movie I bought was years ago.

22. Dagless Suspended

Dagless

Yup. There are no blurays for Green Wing, Peep Show, Ross Noble's stand up shows, Spaced, Black Books, Father Ted, (old) Futurama, Spooks and countless other comedies (new and old). Plus I generally find that sitting back from either my iMac or TV an upscaled DVD isn't too dissimilar from a Bluray - and they're 27" and 56" so they're not small.

I generally only get the bluray if it's something I really like, if it's a show-piece (Tron, Avatar etc) or if it's the same price as the DVD.

I've double dipped on some things like LOTR Extended and the Alien Quadrilogy just so I can watch them on any machine in my house.

23. applefan289 thread starter macrumors 68000

Good point about sitting further away from the screen. Technically, if you sit where you should be sitting (they say to sit a good distance back for 'correct' viewing), you're right, the difference is not too much.

For some reason, my Samsung player never upconverts, it always instead displays DVDs in 480i.

24. Dagless Suspended

Dagless

For some blurays I will sit closer to the screen just to see that additional detail. A friend of mine does the same - has a 46" TV on his computer desk that he sits a few feet away from whilst watching blurays.

I'm planning on getting a home cinema/project thing next year which is where bluray will really shine.

25. Starfighter macrumors 6502a

Starfighter

I have only recently begun to look at the sections with bluray. I have been buying strictly VHS/DVD because of the large difference in price. But now the BR-movies only costs like $5 more so if the movie truly benefits from higher resolution I'll consider it.