Do you still buy physical media?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by entropyfl, Nov 1, 2018.

?

Do you still buy physical media? (DVD/BR)

1. YES

133 vote(s)
    55.9%
  2. NO

81 vote(s)
    34.0%
  3. STREAMING ONLY (Netflix/Prime etc)

24 vote(s)
    10.1%
  1. BODYBUILDERPAUL macrumors 65816

Just wishing everyone on this site a very HAPPY NEW YEAR! You're a very decent bunch and I hope that you all have lots of fun in 2019 with smiles, laughs, great food and plenty of soulful people around you to inspire your dreams!

2. MagnusVonMagnum macrumors 603

MagnusVonMagnum

I thought backup put it in folders, not an ISO.

3. priitv8 macrumors 68040

You are right, my bad.
    Works for UHD movies but not that well for 3D as you will get the deflated output on HDD.

4. flakk-jakket macrumors newbie

flakk-jakket

I might go back to hard copy becuase Apple has screwed me for a few hundred dollars in movies. I am looking at MA codes but these are old movies and I'm not finding them anywhere.

I sure has hell don't want to have to pay for them again, certainly not apple.

Ugh, this sucks as I have been very happy with iTunes and my AppleTV

5. Kanyay Suspended

Kanyay

y'all better be buying my mixtape hard copy and spotify and itunes.

6. BODYBUILDERPAUL, Jan 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2019

BODYBUILDERPAUL macrumors 65816

Haha - Hi Kanye, I love your Adidas Yeezy's - It's all about the Sesame's :) :)
    Sorry buddy, I deleted your music from my iTunes when you started getting used by that orange piece of nastiness ;)
    --- Post Merged, Jan 2, 2019 ---
    Did you actually buy them from Apple or are you taking Movies Anywhere, here you bought films elsewhere? Log into your iTunes account and your iTunes films receipts will be available. Apple will happily refund a purchase if you are not happy.

7. Ideanj macrumors member

What happened?

8. flakk-jakket macrumors newbie

flakk-jakket

A bunch of movies bought on my AppleTV suddenly became SD. Even though I can only see the HD versions to buy. Then last night 10 of my 4k movies disappeared (these were HDR but not Dolby Vision) only to return a few hours later as either straight 4k or Dolby Vision. 2001 A Space Odyssey was bought in HD and converted to 4k but is back to HD again (see thread on here about it).

Question for those still spinning discs: Is there a good 4k Blu Ray player with HDR10 and Dolby Vision thats inexpensive? The cheapest I found is $500 at B&H. Upscaling DVD's would be nice but not necessary and I don't need streaming apps and garbage like that.

I'm trying to decide whether to keep on with iTunes or go with discs.

9. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I've lately been buying more iTunes movies because it's convenient to do so, but I still buy discs when I can because (1) the picture and sound quality is better and (2) iTunes can't be trusted not to downgrade or eliminate movies which you've paid for. Apple tries to blame this on the content providers, but that's a BS answer because they were only too happy to take my money for movies like "2001" and "Dr. Strangelove" (now both gone or working incorrectly in iTunes).

10. flakk-jakket macrumors newbie

flakk-jakket

Completely agree. I have 300+ movies in iTunes too.

11. niteflyr macrumors 6502a

I bought this one last year. No problems so far. Plays everything I've thrown at it.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-ubk...-blu-ray-player-black/6215814.p?skuId=6215814

12. eyeseeyou macrumors 68030

Ultravioletcinema and moviesanywhere killed physical media for me.

Just got a Nintendo switch and don’t even want the physical copies

13. flakk-jakket macrumors newbie

flakk-jakket

I don't disagree. Its the Apple / Disney feud and that movies can just disappear without any explanation thats got me pissed. No Star Wars/Marvel stuff in 4k because Disney wants apple to charge more and will movies start disappearing or changing resolution? Its a coin flip.

Up until recently I had been happy but now I'm pondering getting a spinner and going that way. The negatives are 200-300 for a player and then new movies are pricier. The upside is that I own it and it cannot be taken away secretly. Plus used BRD's are cheap and plentiful. And I can buy Star Wars and Marvel in 4k.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 11, 2019 ---
    Thanks, that ticks all the boxes

14. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

Panasonic UB820 or if you like better build quality the Panasonic ub9000

15. priitv8 macrumors 68040

There is nothing less expensive than Sony UBP-X700.

16. VanNess macrumors 6502a

VanNess

Short answer is yes I still buy physical disks. But not for any perceived difference in the quality of disks vs ATV streaming because basically I’m not seeing anything worth noting. Maybe people who put a magnifying glass on the tv screen or use some sort of sound analyzer on their audio setup might notice something but for everyday normal consumption it’s pretty much a wash for me. The main (and pretty much only) reason I still buy physical disks is that I don’t want to be stuck if there is an ISP outage or other server side issue affecting the ability to stream - and I still get a digital copy with the disk purchase. Also I trust ISPs about as far as I can spit. I am not confident that at some point in the future streaming will be affected either by data caps or other user unfriendly chicanery that ISPs are notorious for.

That said, here are some things I definitely do not miss about playing disks vs streaming:

1 - Constantly mashing the forward button on the remote to skip through endless trailers etc before I can watch the movie. Although this seems to apply mostly to older BR disks (so far) some movies are still available only on older BR disks. This is a non-issue with streaming as any movie starts right from the beginning.

2 - The stupid piracy warning screens that play every time before the movie starts and cannot be skipped. Seriously once is enough but in any event a non-issue with streaming. Starts right up no stupid warnings.

3 - Exchanging defective disks. You would think that in this day in age there would be some sort of system in place that would verify disks before they are stuffed in the box but apparently not. It doesn’t happen often, in fact it’s pretty rare - but it does happen. I had at least two 4K disks that needed to be exchanged and it’s a hassle no matter how willing the vendor is to exchange. Again a non-issue with streaming. Starts right up, never defective.

17. BODYBUILDERPAUL macrumors 65816

After using Apple products since 1995 (school, college, university, work, own business, MSc) I've grown used to Apple's beautiful build quality, the way they just work and their beautiful user interface - Apple TV is beautiful, again the display on my iPhone X - gorgeous.

What horrifies me is the terrible menu/user interfaces of these disc players - even the Panasonic 9000 at £850 has a UI that looks like something from Windows95. It's something that I notice instantly along with cheap, plastic disc trays. For me buying disc in 2019 is one step forward, 20 steps backwards. They remind me of CD players of the late 1980s. The cheaper players are just that 'cheap'. Nasty components, unreliable disc playback, plastic everywhere, short lifespan. And then it ends up in a landfill. Why would anyone buy a cheap disc player to play expensive 4K BluRays? I don't quite understand that.

I tried it at the end of 2017 with a Panasonic 420 4K BluRay player just for old DVDs but alas, six weeks of ownership and it wasn't for me. It felt too 1990s and didn't fit my lifestyle. The Apple iCloud is simply terrific - streaming iTunes films from it is a pleasure simply because, it's reliable - 100% for me. It never buffers or freezes. Streaming 4K Dolby Vision films over Christmas - just superb!

Apple Home Sharing on the other hand is not a nice experience for me if I want to stream a downloaded iTunes film - sometimes it plays 99% well with one buffer pause (I can't stand that, it ruins the film & experience for us all at my house) whilst at other times, it freezes 5+ times during the film. I no longer use it in 2019. Obviously a WiFi problem going from Mac to router then router to ATV. Just a shame that it can't download more of the file that it is streaming to prevent this.

Apple really seem to have perfection with iCloud and of course, that's their intention. If Apple couldn't get it right, then there really isn't any hope is there ;)

18. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

I think apple's UI for movies is beyond horrible (purchased itunes movies). The ub820 and 9000 are fine .. i dont use them for anything other than playing discs .. the streaming menus and services are crap on them. I use them for the hdr optimizer.

19. ChrisChaval macrumors 6502

ChrisChaval

yes, the xbox one s

20. flakk-jakket macrumors newbie

flakk-jakket

What about content thats not on AppleTV like Disney movies in 4k or Kubrick movies in 4k or SHout Factory releases and the such. I think that and the ever rising cost of internet having me want to jump ship in the future.

21. BODYBUILDERPAUL macrumors 65816

It's the other way around here in the UK - all of the new films get a HD or 4K release on iTunes BUT many don't even get released to BluRay let alone 4K BluRay and this will only continue even more over the next years.

The old Disney claim. iTunes HD get upscaled by the ATV to 4K and on my LG OLED they look damn impressive. Unless you spend all of your movie time watching Disney releases, then it's hardly a worry!

Coming from a media background, 4K BluRay is a very shoddy investment. It's really for the AV nerds. With only 2% of the market, it's days are very limited. Even Panasonic couldn't be bothered to release a proper update at the CES - they picked their cheapest design from 3 years ago that looked like a 1980s CD player and chucked load of cheap rubbish in it - same with SONY, they simply updated a 3 year old machine. It's pretty clear that they can't be bothered and really don't want to waste their time or resources on such conservatism.

Regarding the cost of internet, just try living in 2019 with it!!!

22. PilotC150 macrumors member

This is the one I've got. I don't have a lot of 4K discs, but I've been happy with it. It starts up fast, has a ugly interface but it's responsive enough to quickly click on the disc option to play it and it starts the movie without delay.

23. GordonGekko999 macrumors regular

Does anyone know of a quality blu-ray player where one can create and save multiple bookmarks on both dvd movies and blu-ray movies? And the player will remember all of your bookmarks on all of your discs?

Thanks.