Do you still buy physical media?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by entropyfl, Nov 1, 2018.

?

Do you still buy physical media? (DVD/BR)

1. YES

151 vote(s)
    55.7%
  2. NO

92 vote(s)
    33.9%
  3. STREAMING ONLY (Netflix/Prime etc)

28 vote(s)
    10.3%
  1. MagnusVonMagnum macrumors 603

MagnusVonMagnum

The solution is simple. Own more than one device (I have ATV 4K, Zidoo X9S and Nvidia Shield). Zidoo can play almost anything in existence, but does have trouble with SMB3. NVidia Shield with KODI can play everything but 3D MVC. Both can handle full TrueHD + Atmos + DTS Master HD + X and Auro-3D passthrough as well (save perhaps the PCM "Red Tails" as KODI clearly doesn't passthrough PCM with meta data correctly; it's actually the only disc I have to play straight off the disc at the moment, although I'm not doing 4K rips as my projector is 2K/3D only. I rip 4K for the Atmos soundtracks and move them over to 3D and/or 2D as needed.

2. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Neander Valley, Germany; just outside Duesseldorf
    Ugh. Just dug my turntable out from the shed and played a couple of albums over the weekend. The pops and hisses reminded me why I put in storage 15 years ago.

3. Tanax macrumors 6502a

Yes for sure, absolutely!
    Setting aside the quality difference, Netflix and other streaming subscription services don't always have your favorite series. And even if they do, those series might be removed next week due to how the licencing works.

And iTunes don't even have series to buy so that's a no go.

So for my favorite series and favorite movies, I definitely get the bluray version!

4. steve23094 macrumors 68020

steve23094

5. cube macrumors P6

6. MagnusVonMagnum macrumors 603

MagnusVonMagnum

Quality doesn't mean squat to most people. Forget that 72" OLED. Too many people are happy to watch movies on a 5.7" phone...pathetic.

Now someone COULD start a high-end streaming store (i.e. using much better video rates and TrueHD based Atmos sound) that 100+Mbps connections could use, but I'm guessing people wouldn't pay for that either. Apple doesn't even offer lossless music in 2019! It'd take a minute to download a full CD lossless album now (and only slightly more for 24/96). There's just too little demand for quality. It's sad to think we had better music quality in the 1980s than now, though....