Do you still let people use your phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Undecided, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Undecided macrumors 6502a

I have a 32gb 3gs, and with that much storage available, I now save a lot of stuff on there, including stuff I wouldn't want people to see (yes, I'm aware of the lame security but I'm taking the risk). Plus, there are apps with saved credentials, not to mention saved logins for web sites.

I assume I'm not alone in this, so do you still let people "borrow" your phone, like to make a call, or browse the web? What's the etiquette now that phones can store so much, including very private info?

2. curly14 macrumors regular

curly14

No one and i mean No one touches my phone regardless of the info on it:eek:

3. fenderbass146 macrumors 65816

fenderbass146

t

just to make a call ussually, and even if they just want to see it i ussually do. The people I let see it are ones i trust, Im not worred about them stealing my ID, but I would never let someone I don't know see it

4. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

Yeah ofcourse I let my friends use my phone. My friends use it to browse the web or play games usually. They don't go snooping through my text messages or anything. If I had friends like that (I wouldn't because I don't like sneaky backstabbers), I wouldn't let them use my phone though. I do have a password protected app that stores some personal photos though :D

5. Undecided thread starter macrumors 6502a

There should be "guest access" like on Macs, that would provide a sandbox to make calls, surf the web, etc.

6. osin macrumors 6502

That's really great idea!

7. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

I let people I know use it and play games with it. I did stop keeping naked pics of the wife on there though. Anything else I dont care who sees it.

8. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Of course not; I explain that I'm waiting for a call from my Momma.....:p

9. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I do let my friends use it to make quick calls/texts...play games etc all the time. It does get old trying to explain that picture or that text message but i don't care in the grand scheme of things.

Think what you want and let me have my phone back when you're done. Kthx.

10. egk69 macrumors 6502

I really dont have anything confidential on my phone, i usually let people (just family or friends, no strangers) use my phone for whatever they want (play, call, see it, or what ever)

11. tandersn9 macrumors member

I do though I'm kinda leery cause you I don't like the idea of some one potentially rummaging through my stuff.

Though I did let a random girl at the mall use my phone, mainly cause she was really cute :D

12. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

I don't let anyone borrow it overnight, or take it away with them.

I generally don't really let friends just 'play a game' or something. If it's a family member, sure I'll let them use it whilst I'm here, go on the web or some games or whatever, but even then I don't let them take it away with them, I do have private things on there along with the fact that.. I need my phone alot of the time. :p

13. pilotkid macrumors 6502a

I dont really want people using my phone, but if a friend asks to make a call real quick what are you going to do tell them no? If its a total stranger I'll tell them to go to a store and ask to use their phone, I would never let a stranger use my phone...not with all of the personal information that can be stored/obtained on them these days. My iPhone is almost like my wallet.

14. hudsonCrossing macrumors member

a NO!

i don't let anybody even breathe near my iPhone:D

15. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

I'd let my family mess around on it, but no one else.

16. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

What is this "still?". I'll show the iPhone off but not let people use it. Or keep content I don't want people to see off or hidden.

17. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

18. HarryAndAGuitar macrumors member

HarryAndAGuitar

My mum uses it for facebook my sister usess it for internet and my mates play games on it once my mate had it for a week at their house and i didn't know about and we called the insurance and everything lol thought i had lost it

19. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

I wish Apple would allow you to put a passcode on individual applications. I don't really like lending it to friends, but I don't want to be rude or selfish if they just need to make a phone call. I got really upset once when I was at school, and one of my friends asked to borrow my phone, and then I caught him snooping through my text messages. How inconsiderate!

Before one of the iPhone updates, you were able to dial any number from the lock screen by making an "Emergency Call", and what I liked about this was that I didn't have to unlock my phone to let someone place a call, but now it's strictly for 911 calls and such. But I suppose it's to stop just anyone from placing calls if my phone gets lost/stolen, but I still preferred how it used to work.

20. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Oh god, no one gets to use mine anymore. For work sometimes people do need to use my phone, so I've put the PAYG SIM from my 3GS upgrade into my 3G and I hand them that now instead :D

Not only is my 3GS packed will all sorts of personal stuff due to being literally glued to my side at all times, but it's also far too beautiful to let anyone else get their oily hands on it.

21. Floyd26 macrumors member

Yeah i do but some people forget its my cell and get all into, and dont want to give it back ..............................i guess iphone is the best:)

22. fishmoose macrumors 68000

Depends on the situation, I try not to keep to much personal stuff on it, I can easily lose it or something.

But swing that people now uses someone else phone to call you up for expensive services and whatnot, you probably never should borrow out your phone.

23. Hunts121 macrumors regular

Hunts121

exactly

24. topherg macrumors regular

+1

I keep it in my hand, if I want to show something to a friend... look with your eyes not with your hands.

25. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

Ditto
    It's great when we're waiting I let my daughter play games on it. It beats hearing "I'm board".