Do you still use your iBook clamshells?

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by macgeek18, Nov 9, 2009.

1. macgeek18 macrumors 68000

macgeek18

Hey all,I know there's a few threads similar but I was wondering,do you still use you iBook Clamshells??I do and here's a few pics of my main two and 2 potentals I'm building slowly.post pics also.:)I like seeing these awesome older machines.

sorry also for the bad pics.Bad camera.

Attached Files:

2. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

Nah. The resolution is a killer :(

Sad, because the palmrests are super-comfortable.

3. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

It was a great computer!
    I still have a first gen 300MHz iBook, with 320MB ram lying around somewhere. It's very limiting tho, with 4GB HD, only one USB and no firewire.

4. macgeek18 thread starter macrumors 68000

macgeek18

I like mine,there pretty cool,my main,the Indigo is a 466Mhz 320MB ram and a 80GB HD,with Airport and 10.4.11.The tangerine is a 300Mhz,288MB ram,40GB Hd,Airport,and 10.3.9.
    The 2 potentals are a 366Mhz graphite,the 466 MoBo went in the graphite,I switched cause the graphite was in bad shape.with a 3GB HD from some of the others and 192MB ram,and the other one is my first clamshell and Mac,well what's left of it,a 300Mhz Blueberry with 32MB Ram and a 3GB HD.I have 2 30GB HD's on the way right now for them,plus a 512MB ram stick and a 256MB stick,the 512 goes in the indigo then the 256 in it goes in one of the potentals.
    Then I'll mosty likely give the 3 besides my Indigo to my family to use after there all done.probably around Christmas.;)

5. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Not much anymore. Mine is a 366MHz indigo with 576MB of RAM. It still works, but it just doesn't have the power to be particularly useful anymore. And like was said above, the 800x600 screen resolution is a major killer.

6. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

HAHAHAHA

good timing for the thread. the battery i just ordered for my 300 Mhz bondi came yesterday. I cant not use the clamshell because they are just too cool

7. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I have an original issue one without DVD or firewire. It's too slow for the internet so it's a word processing machine, and can do graphics with old Adobe Photoshop, PageMaker, and Illustrator programs.

The battery is gone so it works when plugged in. The modem port was used so much back in the day that it's shot but there's no use for a modem anyway. I can still use the ethernet port of networking with my old Dual 500 Power Mac if I need to. It seems OK with OS 9 but OS X is a little much for the maxed out 160 megs of RAM.

8. macgeek18 thread starter macrumors 68000

macgeek18

I'm running 10.3 panther on a 300Mhz Tangerine with 288MB ram and 10.1 Puma on a 300Mhz Blueberry with 160MB ram.

9. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

10.2 is just sluggish with same specs, but it does work, minimally. I still get a better experience with a 366 MHz PC laptop running Windows 98.

OS 9 is just much more zippy on a 300 MHz G3 PowerPC processor.

10. macgeek18 thread starter macrumors 68000

macgeek18

If you think so,I disagree,i can run Panther very quickly on a 300Mhz PPC G3 iBook with Safari 4.0.4 and I have no problems.It loads facebook!I say thats pretty good.

11. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

10.2 is much slower than 10.3 in every aspect. I remember installing Panther for the first time on my Powermac G3 back when it was released and was amazed at the life it breathed into it. I would rate 10.2 Jaguar as the worst Mac OS ever.

12. macgeek18 thread starter macrumors 68000

macgeek18

Ok,10.2 is the only mac OSX i haven't owned and used so i wouldn't know.:)Well,I no longer have my Indigo,I traded it to a friend for his HP G60 2.0Ghz C2D,3GB DDR2 ram,and 320GB HD,and 1024 MB Integrated Intel Graphics.And a litescribe DVD/CD writer/burner.and a 8.02n Wireless card.tThe only issues are a broken screen,hinge,and Windows Vista Home Premium.But I have a wireless mouse,keyboard and have it hooked it to my old spare monitor for my Power Mac.so it works.But now I have a project again.I'm building a 366Mhz Graphite with 320MB ram and a 40GB HD and Airport and 10.4.11 again.So I will only be missing a 80GB HD and 100Mhz.lolBut right now I miss my Indigo.

13. macgeek18 thread starter macrumors 68000

macgeek18

Changed my mind and hot my iBook back.couldn't stand the thought of trading Tiger for Vista.;)

14. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

You've clearly never used 10.0
    It was really just a paid beta--no DVD playback, incredibly slow...practically useless. Heck, by 10.1, they were still shipping computers dual-boot with OS9 as the default OS. Compared to those two, 10.2 was a dream. Still, the first day-to-day usable OSX for me was 10.3.

15. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I have the very first iBook, which came with 32 megs of RAM with a 3 gig hard drive, but I did up the RAM to 160 megs which was the listed maximum.

Jaguar will run but it just seems impossibly slow compared to Jaguar on my dual 500 Power Mac with a gig of RAM and plenty of hard drive space on 3 36 gig SCSI drives at 10,000 rpm.

But if I can get a used copy of Panther, which most agree is better than Jaguar, and yes, probably more streamlined and faster, then I will put it on the iBook. I may have to put a bigger and faster hard drive in that original iBook. Do you agree, or can I just install and go?

16. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I've got the original 300 MHz Blueberry iBook upgraded to 160 MB of RAM, dual booting OS 9 and 10.3. (But it's mostly used in OS 9, because 10.3 is a dog on it.) I still use it every once a while, I actually prefer OS 9 over any version of OS X. (Except maybe 10.4) Its battery is shot and there's a lot of cracks in the plastic beneath the display, but it's still a wonderful machine.

17. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

That's my iBook.

But I took out OS X, and I don't know if this motherboard could hold more RAM and a larger hard drive and not overheat. The battery is shot and there are cracks mostly on the handle. OS 9 is not 10.4, but it certainly kicked the butt of Windows 98 SE and Windows ME, the PC consumer operating systems that were up against OS 9 at the time in 2000.

18. macgeek18 thread starter macrumors 68000

macgeek18

Your ibook can handle a 256MB or 512MB ram stick.I have 288MB ram in my 300Mhz iBook which came with a 3GB HD and 32MB ram.It now has a 40GB HD,288MB Ram,and !0.4.11 on it.it's a little slow with Tiger.But it works.And I can do facebook on it.But I'm downgrading to Panther soon.It's good with Panther.And runs most of the latest programs.:cool:

19. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I was a PC techie for ten years and many upgrades were easy on towers. I know I can get a 256 or 512 meg stick of ram, PC 100 so-dimm.

What kind of hard drive did you use, and was it easy to put in?

Also, is the G3 mobile chip like an Intel Celeron (for instance) where you can overclock it safely?

And is there a menu somewhere where the multipliers can be set higher?

Thanks in advance. Also I do have a Mac that is six years newer and it's my main computer, so reviving the iBook is mostly for kicks. I bought it right before Christmas in 1999. The only time I used in after 2005 was a few years ago using it to types notes in law school, but nothing more. It goes on the internet but OS 9 is just not good these days for the fast speed of things.

20. macgeek18 thread starter macrumors 68000

macgeek18

I haver a Hitachi 80GB HD from a PowerBook G4 in it.Most HD's are fine as long as your under the 120GB HD limit.But I haven't looked into overclocking yet.Im sure that info is around though.

21. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Thanks for the info. I have my old Photoshop, Illustrator, and PageMaker, good for OS 8 and 9 on a G3 or G4, so I will probably up the RAM to 544 megs to make those three Adobe programs work faster on OS 9, and put in a larger hard drive.

For several years, my wife did graphics with OS 9 on that iBook with those three programs and back then the G3 was state of the art for a laptop and 160 megs of RAM was plenty. The iBook rarely crashed and it was a good workhorse.

That replaced a 1996 Power Mac clone with a 185 Mhz 604e processor and 64 megs of RAM, which was an upgrade from the basic 16 megs of RAM.

22. macgeek18 thread starter macrumors 68000

macgeek18

Cool 'm selling all my iBooks but my 466Mhz iBook for a Powerbook G4.

23. macEfan macrumors 65816

macEfan

Forbidden, you do not have access to that server
    I've got a 366mhz indigo ibook. While it isn't used much anymore, I still iChat on it once and a while. It's perfectly capable of that, but the 800x 600 screen makes it a bit challenging to surf the web.

24. mikeyj110 macrumors newbie

I love my iBook!!!

I bought an indigo iBook 366 as a gift for my little sister thinking it would be a fun project for me and a nice birthday present for her if I could finish it in time. I always wanted one when I was about her age and after fixing it up I realized it made a very nice netbook.

I got it off ebay for $25 with a 10gb HD and 156mb ram. It came with OSX beta and no OS9 support, that in itself was annoying at first. After an hour with that operating system I formatted the hard drive and loaded OS9 onto it and then 10.4 (Tiger). Since then I have upgraded to a 40gb hd and have upped the ram to 546.

If you still use your iBook and want to use 10.4 I recommend maxing out the ram and and using a program called shadowkiller to lose the shadow effect from tiger to free up some processor speed and use Opera for browsing. Opera has a nice zoom out feature that makes surfing the web quite enjoyable.

I sometimes have a problem watching streaming video but I figure I'm gonna overclock the cpu anyway and that may be resolved in the process. In total I have spent about $100 on this little project and now I'm not sure if I'm gonna give it up lol :D. It may end up being a nice big netbook for me for school.

BTW if anyone knows anything about the best way to paint one of these babies let me know, I know how I'm gonna do the plastic but I'm not sure on if I should just use Sharpie on the rubberized bits. :D

25. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

The G3 was not really a mobile chip, the G3 was used in desktops until the G4 replaced it. I do not recall a way to overclock the iBook, I know you can with the PowerMacs but I think everything is pretty much locked down on the iBook.