Do you still watch local news?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iMacZealot, Aug 5, 2008.

1. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

I watch it everyday, usually as background noise or something to watch when nothing else is on. However, the internet is my primary source of news and is such a better means of finding news. I prefer reading the articles on the station websites than sitting through long and gaudy news opens, uninteresting human interest stories, and of course, commercials.

Only 60 percent of the people who watched the ten o'clock news in my city of Denver in 1998 still watch it today.

Do you still watch local news?

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Of course. After the big full BBC news they show the local North West news which the ever brilliant Gordon Burns. :D

Still don't get my news from the internet. I have to hear it being said by a BBC news reader or else it isn't true.

3. garybUK Guest

garybUK

Hahah gordon is a legend. I always watch the NW News it's always a lot better than on the internet, i still view the http://news.bbc.co.uk website though.

BBC's Newsnight is a good program to watch too, Jeremy Paxman always likes a argument :p

4. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

Yep, every morning. 11Alive which is a NBC station their site is www.11alive.com

5. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Our local news is a bit of a joke really, its usually bashing farmers and something rather un-interesting (fairs, fates etc) that they somehow spin into news...

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I keep the 10 or 11 o'clock news on and fall asleep with it as background noise. I watch the morning news as I get ready for work. Neither provides much real news; that I get online.

7. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Yep, because my local news is basically London news which is pretty interesting most of the time. Living near a big city has advantages.

8. Nicolecat macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

I used to just leave the tv on in the morning while getting ready. But since my husband is an insomniac, we don't keep a tv in the bedroom anymore. :(

So, I catch up with the news online. I will catch an occasional live feed. :eek:

Plus, I can decide whether or not to skip a story that isn't relevant to my area. It's nice.

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

10. MacGeek7 macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

I'll watch it from time to time - I don't watch a lot of TV as it is...

11. OscarTheGrouch macrumors 6502

i use their website, but never intentionally watching the news.

12. Stardotboy macrumors regular

+1 for Gordon Burns fanclub!

... and boo to news with adverts - why bother. The only news station I can tolerate with adverts is Faux News when I'm stateside, and that's just because it's really comical watching what americans can even consider labelling 'news'.

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

14. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I'll watch it occasionally...but without much regularity. I no longer have cable or satellite, and since getting rid of that, I've watched it more, but still not anything approaching "regular."

15. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

I just can't be bothered with it any more. I don't care if little Johnny had his Mars Bar stolen and I don't care how fat the fattest cat is, either.

16. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

Try to catch the local news each evening. Most of the time it's pretty crap stories but every now and then there is some pretty interesting stuff on. Plus on Midlands Today we have the living legend that is Nick Owen and every so often, the rather cute Sarah Falkland :D

17. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

The wife likes to watch Brian Williams, and sometimes we forget to change the channel after he goes off. Then we end up watching a bit of local news (which also comes on before Brian Williams, oddly enough).

Personally, I can't stand watching the news on TV, local or otherwise. I like listening to it on the radio (NPR + BBC World Service) and reading it online.

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

19. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

... I have not watched TV at all. 4 months now.

My iMac is my total visual source for news/entertainment.

My FM radio covers anything that I missed while surfing.

Lookie, no *&^%ing commercials.

20. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Oh dear!! :eek:

[​IMG]

21. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

Add me to that list too! There is quite often vintage Krypton factor episodes on Challenge TV... awesome!

22. NightFlight macrumors 6502

NightFlight

BBC news or CNN for me.

I rarely watch local DC news but if I do it is NBC or nothing...

23. LeahM macrumors 6502a

LeahM

I do out of habit. I'll usually listen to the introduction to hear what they are going to talk about and then decide whether or not I still want to watch. But thats the time I get most of my cleaning done so its background noise if I think the stories sound uninteresting.

24. NotFound macrumors 6502a

NotFound

I watched the news when I was at work, but now that I am about to go back to school I really don't take time to turn to any news channels. :(

25. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I can't watch CNN at all. It's one of the only English speaking channels I get at our places abroad. But it's just so overly dramatic and explosive. The kind of news channel Brasseye fed off in the 90's.

But then again BBC Worldwide (which we also get) is terrible compared to the proper BBC News 24 in the UK.

ITV news isn't bad either, Tony Wilson made it great.