All iPads Do you sync your iPad with your computer regularly? (Poll)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MusicEnthusiast, Jul 23, 2013.

?

Well, do you?!?

1. Yes

49 vote(s)
    34.3%
  2. No

94 vote(s)
    65.7%
  1. MusicEnthusiast macrumors 6502

MusicEnthusiast

I've only synced my iPad maybe 6 times since owning it (got it at launch in November) to update music. I download apps wirelessly.

I think it's probably a good idea to sync regularly for backup though. What about you guys?

2. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

3. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

Not often. I only do it if I want to add some of my own ripped DVDs to it. I think now that you can sync over wifi it negates the need to hook it up to the PC.

4. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

5. jenni122701 macrumors regular

jenni122701

I do about once a month. I don't currently have my own laptop so I use my Brothers when I want to back up. Since it isn't my own laptop I don't bother with syncing over wifi. Our wifi is not working well anyway. We have to buy a new router.

6. jojoba macrumors 68000

I sync at least once a week. I have work related stuff on there that I really don't want to lose, and while most of it is synced to Dropbox, there are a few bits and pieces that are not.

7. CTHarrryH macrumors 65816

I do both to a computer and iCloud. I don't think there are too many backups.

8. smooth macrumors 6502

smooth

My iPad is my main digital photo album, so I usually sync mine whenever I create a new album, which is usually a few times a month. About half the time, when I find an app I want, I will download it with iTunes on my laptop and then sync it to my iPad. All this is done wirelessly. I can't remember the last time I actually connected mine to my laptop.

The same goes for my daughters' minis though I tend to sync theirs wirelessly more often as they have music on theirs. They also like to take LOTS of photos and videos, so after we weed them and decide which ones they are keeping, I will connect theirs to my laptop to organize them.

My iPad backs up to iCloud whenever I charge it, though my kids' minis backup to my laptop whenever they are synced.

9. TedM macrumors 6502

I don't really because I have an ipad one I almost never use these days.

10. Breaking Good macrumors 6502a

I didn't think there was any reason with iCloud.

11. Androidpwns macrumors regular

Aye. Same.

12. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Before iCloud, I always sync with my MBP regularly to update everything but now iCloud I havent sync that much except to add photo to camera roll. :apple:

13. robertosh macrumors 6502a

robertosh

I always hated syncing so when icloud came out i stop doing it, I pay for a extra space for backup my touch and ipad and i have iTunes match.. so no need for syncing anymore..

14. LadyX macrumors 68020

LadyX

I rarely sync my iPad. I think I did it once or twice only.

15. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

Very seldom sync my two iPads with my Mac. Maybe every 4-5 months and then to copy some pictures over that come from my camera. No need to with iCloud.

16. Thraun macrumors regular

Thraun

You all know that the iCloud backup is less complete than the iTunes backup, right?

17. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

Our entire family of iDevices sync with the iCloud, several iPads and iPhones.

18. arefbe macrumors regular

arefbe

19. Freqsound macrumors newbie

My experience is that I need to sync occasionally for exactly the reason mentioned. Some items, notably video shot from the iPad (or iPhone) does NOT transfer automatically, unless I'm missing something. Photos sync via Photo Stream just fine, but not video. I also have my iTunes preference to sync "To This Computer" rather than to iCloud. On the device it does sync Contacts, Mail, & Calendars through iCloud, but I'm just not happy yet with the reliability of all my other documents (Pages, Numbers etc.) being somewhere I can always lay my hands on.

20. skiltrip macrumors 68030

Pretty much never. I backup with iCloud. My pictures from all my devices automatically upload to Dropbox.

21. LightOnAHill macrumors regular

Almost never. Anything I need to sync is documents, and I use dropbox extensively and it takes care of that need.

I use image capture on my Mac air to copy off pics, but other than that I don't sync. I'll sync to put new music on too, but not very often.

22. mac00l macrumors 6502

I don't.

I primarly use it for music and apps.

For music I use itunes match. For apps I just download the ones I'm using and then erase them.

Since you can use the cloud for pretty much everything, I don't back up, not even my MBP. I find it easier to download everything from the cloud (steam, dropbox, iCloud, itunes match) than making regular backups.

The only thing I do backups of, are my photos.

23. mtondreo macrumors member

I sync both of mine pretty regularly because I can not get the wireless sync to work with my PC. I may try to pick up a used mac mini for media server and to negate this issue

24. imlovinit macrumors 6502

imlovinit

Not too often. More just when I realize I need something that requires a sync.

25. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

I do it daily. Not OCD though. I do miss doing it every once in a while when I am traveling with it.