Do you take supplements?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Blue Velvet, Dec 18, 2007.

1. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I do, just a plain-label multivitamin and broad spectrum mineral supplement in periods where I know I'm not eating well, say 1 or 2 weeks in every month... that's about it. So it's not every day and I do try to eat a lot of raw foods now and again...

But Hilary Swank also takes supplements, 45 tablets a day. :eek:

http://lifeandhealth.guardian.co.uk/wellbeing/story/0,,2229223,00.html

And I've recently been looking at ads on the trains on the London Underground, some for the most pseudo-scientifically named supplements that claim to do all sorts of magical things for eyes, skin, hair etc... have we gone too far?

2. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I take a generic-brand multivitamin everyday.

3. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

The only thing I ever take are Vitamin C tablets if there's a nasty cold doing the rounds at work, in the vain hope it might afford me a degree of protection.

But 45 tablets a day? That's mad – the lass must rattle a bit. :eek:

4. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Yes, I think we have--especially in Swank's case! 45 tablets?!?! :eek:

I do take a multivitamin each day--the Centrum "From A to Zinc" one, even though I do try to eat reasonably well.

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Only those of us who take the stuff. This is, after all, nothing new: tonics and snake oil have been around since the time of the Pharaohs.

6. GoodWatch macrumors 6502a

GoodWatch

I also take multi-vitamins but only during winter time. I take one a day and try to eat fruit every day, usually an apple or two mandarins or clementines.

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I take a multi-vitamin (if I don't forget on the way out the door with the young 'un in the morning) and some Vitamin C when I start to feel sick.

Looking to Hilary Swank for supplement advice though... I don't think that's the best way to approach the issue.

8. 119576 Guest

I take Vitamins A, C, D and E :)

I tend to just try to maintain a stable and balanced diet, however.

9. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

just a multivitamin since i know my diet is less than stellar. as a result i noticed that i've been able to return to my more 'normal' weight. when i wasn't taking them, and eating the same, i gained extra pounds. who knows if they were the reason or not or just a passing correlation.

10. Queso macrumors G4

I take one of these a day. Serious overkill really. As a veggie I only need B12 as a supplement, and a glass of Ribena will give you that :eek:

[​IMG]

Oh yeah, these things turn your pee bright fluorescent yellow, which is a bit weird until you get used to it :D

11. EMU1337 macrumors member

EMU1337

I take a multi-vitamin as well as a vitamin B complex to give me a little more energy for work outs.

12. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Do any of you find they actually have any effect?

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I usually do a Jamba Juice (a smoothie chain here in the States) once a day. They load them up with vitamin supplements. I sometimes will take zinc if I'm feeling run down.

14. Queso macrumors G4

If I've been drinking definitely. They lessen your hangover somewhat. Otherwise probably not, although I would get anaemic without that B12.

15. 119576 Guest

I couldn't say; I'd have to stop taking them in order to compare...

16. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

Yeah, my mummy used to give me orange-flavoured Vitamin C tablets. :eek: :D

17. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

I've actually tried to tell, and I think with taking them I have a bit more energy and am a bit more resistant to illness. It's not a night and day difference, and it could be either a placebo effect or simply my subconsciously wanting there to be SOME difference.

18. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I take a generic multi-vitamin as well, along with a large glass of OJ.

19. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Nope. I won't take something unless my doctor tells me to (with the exception of things like Tylenol as needed), and he's never said I needed them, so, I don't. I just don't like putting random crap into my body

20. GoodWatch macrumors 6502a

GoodWatch

Ehhhh. If they have any effect that also means I have to take them every day. Which I don't. [Staring into mirror to check eyes and tongue....] Help!

21. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I've taken a multi vitamin for years but recently tried this when staying with a friend last weekend. Really liked it and am awaiting my first shipment.

22. mahashel macrumors 6502

mahashel

I have digestion problems. (years of stress.. boozing it up.. and mediocre diet)
    My options were to take some crazy prescription meds for it ($150/month), or to take supplements.
    I chose the supplement path. ;)
    2 capsules of multidophilus and 2 capsules of psyllium husks (fiber) each day. Keeps everything working great!

23. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Vitamins aren't what I would call random crap. ;) Over-the-counter and certain (not all) prescription drugs are random crap.

24. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

I take a multivitamin, two flax capsules a day. I take ring-stop to help with the ringing in my ears, and I also take ginko boloba.

I think in total, it's like 6 pills a day.

25. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

I've experimented a bit, and found that the following actually do make a difference in my energy level and immune system:

1000 mg vitamin C
    Multivitamin
    Vegetable-based oil including Omega 3, 6, and 9 (Udo's Choice)
    Q10

I've gone through periods of not taking them, and taking them in lesser and greater combinations (= not taking all of them at once), and I really do feel a difference. I sleep better, digest my food better, get sick less often, and generally have more energy (and am therefore easier to live with! :p).