Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How do you click on your mbp?

• I press down on the track pad.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I use the "tap-to-click" feature.

Votes: 59 47.2%
  • I use a mixture of both.

Votes: 38 30.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

shizzie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2009
Previously I pressed down on my track pad to click, but then I discovered the tap to click feature and I love it. Now I'm curious as to what everyone else uses.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
I turned on tap to click which I prefer however I have a tendency to press the trackpad button every now and then just out of habit. It's nice to have both options, unlike standard trackpads that have a separate button.

jpma

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2009
actually there's a difference if you use unibody or the pre model.

i use tab to click with my unibody,
but the older model I do the same as well except you will always have your thumb ready on the button.

but with unibody, full trackpad you really do get more space and usually no using thumb at all.
In the beginning I stil have my thumb on it and navigate with index finger
the trackpad will works fine, eventually with only 1 finger and easier for me.

Also bit scare off by a topic here with crack on trackpad so I never use button.

M-5

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
I've tried the tap to click, but I always end up clicking objects by mistake, so I just push down to click.

helloimD4NNY

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
I use "tap to click" about 85% of the time. There are some things that i prefer using the click though. ex. flash games. The click has a faster response time.

spillproof

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2009
USA
I mix. The top is not very clickable so I get frustrated and start tapping. Plus, in class the click is loud. I haven't been able to do the fix for that yet.

AMessy

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2005
I use the button on my PowerBook and the push click on my MBP. Very rarely I use tap click on the MBP.

hazza.jockel

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2008
in a swag
I turned on tap to click which I prefer however I have a tendency to press the trackpad button every now and then just out of habit. It's nice to have both options, unlike standard trackpads that have a separate button.

Most laptops have both. Well at least my old (2003) toshiba laptop did, it had the separate right/left click buttons at the bottom but you could also just tap the actual pad to click.
Sorry if you were referring solely to apple laptops, i have no idea what their old track pads are like.

iPhownage

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2009
Tap! I don't know why anyone would use the click... tap is SOOO much faster and easier.
Dont you mean CLICK is sooo much faster? Tapping has a slight lag, I assume for it to listen out for a second tap.
Try it now - click on the new tab button on your browser, and then tap the new tab button... yeah, clicking is instant.

uberamd

macrumors 68030
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
I usually tap but I find that my thumb sits on my button (early 2008 Macbook Pro with physical trackpad button) so I end up pressing the button at times. And when it comes to dragging stuff, I always use the button as I don't like how it takes OS X a second or so to release what you are dragging.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.