Do you think a couple can have a dating relationship purely through texting?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Misskitty, Mar 13, 2014.

?

like the title says

1. Yes I do

5 vote(s)
    10.6%
  2. Not at all

42 vote(s)
    89.4%
  1. Misskitty macrumors 6502

And never meeting? If so, its like once every 4 or 5 months, otherwise you communite everyday through text and only text. Blah. I feel so limited. How can you get to know someone on a dating level when you never even let you hear their voice aside from a couple times in person?

Discuss.

2. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

3. Misskitty thread starter macrumors 6502

Thats exactly my thoughts too. But when the other person hates the phone, what can you do.

4. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

break up?

5. Misskitty thread starter macrumors 6502

Ya but they keep saying they dont want to and they want to continue on. They want to do this and that when the weather gets nicer, and hang out etc. Blah blah blah blah blah. Im getting a restless.

6. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

7. puma1552 macrumors 601

Another great thread from the OP.

There is no boyfriend, there never was.

8. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

sounds like my relationship with AT&T. bastards won't talk to me, only text, and always want more money.

i'm all like 'call me sometime' and they are like 'only if you upgrade to the mobile share plan' and i don't even want to be mobile or share or anything. why can't they just accept me as i am? what about my needs?!?

i can't take it anymore, but i feel so ashamed looking at those 'other' sites for mobile plans. damn my need to connect.

9. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

How do you hookup or go on dates? You're not really dating.

10. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I think things will be really weird when you do meet. Have you ever texted someone a lot over a long period of time with never seeing them. I did that with a good friend of mine of summer vacation. 2 months of texting and then school starts again and your standing there going ummmmmm. You really will have no idea what to say.

11. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I would be inclined to say no, but at the same time people sustained relationships long distance through letters before there was the internet, so maybe. Although a text seems more impersonal to me than a letter or email that actually has some thought go into it.

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, I wouldn't call it dating either.

13. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

'Relationship'? I would say, possibly, yes, but a 'dating relationship' purely through texting? This would stretch what is understood by 'dating' to the very farthest extent of the meaning of the word……..

14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

He's just not that into you.

You don't have a boyfriend if this is all that it is, not even close so no worries about breaking up.

15. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Is this that same guy that wouldn't hang out with you two months ago? I understand that you're in your mid-30s and may want to be with someone but I don't think these kinds of arrangements are the ones to settle for...

16. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Post some of the texts and I'll see if he's serious.

17. ipodlover77 macrumors 65816

ipodlover77

SS, don't you usually use your fancy font when you post? ;)

18. sdilley14 macrumors 65816

No. You're not really dating someone in that type of scenario, you're dating the idea of that person. You're dating a series of words on a phone screen + the idea of who that person is in your head.

I think texting can be a good way to stay in touch on a regular basis, but if you're going to really date someone, you need to spend time in person, face to face, at least once every week or two I'd say - especially if you're just starting out. I suppose some of that "in person" time could be substituted with Skype/FaceTime, but there is no true replacement for spending time together, in person.

You already knew the answer to this question before you asked it.

19. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    It's a cyber-acquaintanceship. Not a dating relationship.

20. chown33 macrumors 604

21. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

It's hard as hell.

Any person in the military, married or dating, will have to be talked off a ledge because of the stress associated with distance and lack of real physical interaction and communication.

Generally, the answer is no. My marriage survived, but it is not fun or easy ever.

22. Misskitty thread starter macrumors 6502

Ya same one.

23. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Best to let this one go.

24. Shrink, Mar 14, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2014

Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

It does nicely address the issue of unwanted pregnancy.

Or unwanted sex.

Or unwanted time together...where one learns the good and the not so good about the person.

It allows the participants to create any persona they want...

Strange definition of boyfriend/girlfriend, IMO. But I'm an old guy...you know, actually spend time in physical proximity to one another.:p

In short...a close friendship...yes. A dating relationship...not the way I look at it.

25. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

When my now wife and I were dating we lived a hundreds of miles apart. In those days we didn't have mobiles or the internet. However I phoned her or visited her or wrote to her or sent her a surprise gift all the time. She did the same. If all your getting is the odd text, then no you are not dating.

Also if this is the same guy you posted about a while ago? Why do you ask for peoples opinions? It clearly isn't working out, and if it was you wouldn't be asking us to justify if you are dating or not. Tell him to put up or move on.
    Then you can do the same and perhaps find somebody you can have a proper relationship with.