Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
There might be some new exclusive feature but as far as I'm aware, there's no exclusive feature for the iP5...but I'm sure an exclusive feature for the iP5 will be in IOS 6.x.x

Sometime we miss the obvious! :)

I'm pretty sure that support for apps designed for the 4" screen is exclusive to the iPhone 5. :D

monkor

macrumors regular
May 25, 2012
So what changes that you would you expect to be considered incredible improvements? Like the phone with wings so that it can fly around? Look at other phones in the market, can you tell what are the INCREDIBLE IMPROVEMENT they did on those phones?

They don't pay me the big bucks to decide that stuff. I don't really give two craps about the other phones on the market. I answered a question with a response.

Want me to take a shot? Typing on a touch screen sucks for me. A physical keyboard is more preferable. I wish they could use that massive pile of cash they're sitting on to implement a new screen that gives more feedback. Better than haptics. I'm talking screens that actually rise to delineate between specific keys. The technology is out there. They could perfect it.

That's just one gripe I have. People probably have more. I'm not even complaining about the iPhone or any phone for that matter. But to suggest that a company can't incredibly improve a phone is stupid. They can.

Gunny011

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2011
Sometime we miss the obvious! :)

I'm pretty sure that support for apps designed for the 4" screen is exclusive to the iPhone 5. :D

it's not a real reason for people to rush out and upgrade though...the 3GS had video recording, voice control, the 4 had FaceTime, and 4S had Siri!

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
Alot of people think that Apple purposely holds features/design for the next year to make more money. It is called progress and Apple will do what they can do with their available technology and available design/manufacturing processes.

There's no doubt that it does. Why release everything all at once when incremental updates have proven to be enough to sustain record breaking revenues?

Kind of like Gillette which the next 3 new razors already developed when it releases a "new" one to the market.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
it's not a real reason for people to rush out and upgrade though...the 3GS had video recording, voice control, the 4 had FaceTime, and 4S had Siri!

Because there weren't any people looking for a larger screen? :confused: :D

Ran7

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012
there will be other changes coming. the cadence of change has to change for one thing, teh market is moving toward it and products are not fresh or competitive after 6 months (the 4s sure wasnt). The OS is certainly getting warn ,but on the positive side it is very stable.
Wireless charging would be nice. Some type of near field. Some adaption of a swipe type entry.
I should think Apple will go to multiple from factors in one or two years.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
there will be other changes coming. the cadence of change has to change for one thing, teh market is moving toward it and products are not fresh or competitive after 6 months (the 4s sure wasnt).

:confused: :rolleyes: Somehow the best selling smartphone in the world is not competitive?!

I should think Apple will go to multiple from factors in one or two years.

Apple has been selling multiple form factors of the iPhone for more than two years now.

atticus27

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
the design's great iOS needs a major UI overhaul. Apple should allow widgets, toggles on the pull down menu, custom launchers, ect. People who have been using iOS for years are bored off the same UI. I bought an s3 for something different. Apple does have the best looking phone on the market though.

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
Make the phone fatter and heavier with fewer parts, more durable, and with a spacious battery. Basically, back to the 4 design.

Ran7

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012
:confused: :rolleyes: Somehow the best selling smartphone in the world is not competitive?!.
Teh smartphone market is littered with "Best selling" from companies that are no longer even players

What i said is the market is segmenting. The iphone 4s was seriously dated months before the 5 came out and losing sales. Apple was pushed to faster release and this will continue.

They will need to do different form factors in phones to remain competitive. Just as they are doing wiht tablets.

erratikmind

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2009
S.F./Las Vegas
The next iPhone will be upgraded simply enough to keep most of the consumers' interests. I have to believe that the Big Guys, so to speak, have a gentlemen's agreement of sorts with regard to the phones.

Keep the consumers switching devices and constantly demanding more, while only upgrading enough to keep the ball rolling until the next model.

Shenaniganz08

Cancelled
Jan 26, 2010
For the last 2 iPhones people said for the 4S "it's just a 4 with Siri"
for the 5 "it's just a taller 4S"
So what do you think will be in the next model to stop these kinds of complaints?

the 5 is completely different than the 4s, can people shut up about this already

the 5s will likely be a spec bump , the iphone 6 will be a new form factor

Headphone Jack

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2012
Honestly, there are only so many ways to design a smartphone with current mass-market technology and Apple are already pretty close to perfection.

- One thing that immediately comes to mind when looking at the 5 is how much wasted space there is at the front. I'd like them to shave off as much of the bezel as possible (while retaining the trademark home button and horizontal symmetry of the device) and squeeze in a nice 4.3 inch display without increasing the overall size of the device much, if at all.

- An all-metal back would be really nice.

- Might be a bit of a stretch, but this new invisible glass technology could look amazing coupled with the iPhone's in-cell touch panel. It would greatly reduce glare and feel like you're literally touching what's on the display.

- Faster processor, better graphics, NFC, etc...

I think this would be a pretty nice upgrade.

OatmealRocks

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2009
For the last 2 iPhones people said for the 4S "it's just a 4 with Siri"
for the 5 "it's just a taller 4S"
So what do you think will be in the next model to stop these kinds of complaints?

What complaints? Like new forum members complaining about stupidness? Oops that you.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Teh smartphone market is littered with "Best selling" from companies that are no longer even players

That's a non sequitur. The iPhone 4S is the best selling smartphone in the world at the same time you are calling it not competitive. :rolleyes:

What i said is the market is segmenting. The iphone 4s was seriously dated months before the 5 came out and losing sales. Apple was pushed to faster release and this will continue.

Seriously dated? How serious could it be when it was still the best selling smartphone in the world?

They will need to do different form factors in phones to remain competitive. Just as they are doing wiht tablets.

In case you hadn't noticed, Apple has been selling multiple iPhone form factors for several years now.

The most significant advantages Android phones have over the iPhone are distribution and pricing. That you consider the iPhone "out dated" for the last 3-4 months before a new release is a minor factor overshadowed even by the Osborne-like affect from the simple anticipation of a relatively predictable release schedule.

Mr Hill

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
They'll make necessary improvements. Pretty sure the next iPhone will become the new "best iPhone ever" and the new "best selling smartphone ever" just like every iPhone before it.

amro

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2008
iOS needs a revamp.

iPhone 5 would be so much more awesome with a revamped iOS

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
"Do you think Apple can make any big improvements "

It's not a matter of "can" it's a matter of "If" they will.

Apple has the best engineering group, the best designers, and all the money in the world.... there's simply no excuse not to build a really fantastic phone the next time around.

There's a lot that this phone needs.

If Apple gets serious, the upcoming new model will really be at the top of the Smartphone Sector on it's merits and performance, not just because it sells in massive quantities.

Apple needs to bring up it's image by getting serious, applying themselves, and showing us what they are capable of.

That Apple has allowed Android to become this good, and be a serious competitor, is testimony to Apples burning desire to milk us for all the cash they can.

ZakBrandonJake

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2011
I personally think apple should concentrate on there quality control.... you can get a iPhone with missing parts internally or screen defects.. if this was sorted I would defiantly think Apple are one of best companies in the world.

Ran7

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012
That's a non sequitur. The iPhone 4S is the best selling smartphone in the world at the same time you are calling it not competitive.
What I said was apple was losing its competitiveness with the aging iPhone 4. Calling it a non sequiter is poor use of English and logic. Industry analysts were making exactly this point as Apple lost sales tihe s3 during the summer.

Seriously dated? How serious could it be when it was still the best selling smartphone in the world?
Because Samsung during exactly this period doubled Apples sales in smartphones.

The most significant advantages Android phones have over the iPhone are distribution and pricing. That you consider the iPhone "out dated" for the last 3-4 months before a new release is a minor factor overshadowed even by the Osborne-like affect from the simple anticipation of a relatively predictable release schedule
The most serious advantage Android phones have is constant technical advances brought to market over quarters instead of yearly. Androids are the phones of early adopters unless the cadence of your contract matches Apples release schedule.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.