Do you think Apple sent me a new iPhone 4 as a replacement?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by amazingdm, Apr 14, 2011.

1. amazingdm macrumors 6502

I did the express/advance replacement, so they just mailed me off another iPhone 4.

They sent an email containing the serial number

my old serial # was

86******A4T

the new one is

87***E#*A4T

So no 5K serial = no refurb?

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I would guess so, but it could be anything. It doesn't matter though since you won't notice a difference between a new or refurbished one.

3. ap105 macrumors regular

Well I was at the apple store for battery problems. So they did replace mine. And I asked the rep. And a manager if the replacements are refurbished or new. They told me all iPhone 4 replacements are new. I'm not sure if that's true. But really you can't tell difference.

4. EnchantedPlague macrumors member

Serial number doesnt mean anything. I got a replacement with a 80 serial number and it was referbished. I could tell could the previous owner had backed up the SHSH blobs from 4.1. As long as there are no problems with the replacement, it shouldnt matter if it is new or refurbed.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Not even close to true, replacements are refurbs unless they're all out of refurbished units, the customer had many problems with returning refurbished iphones and they give him a new one or the particular model iphone was just released and they havent went thru the refurb cycle yet.
    But like you said their refurb process is top of the line and you wont be able to tell the difference anyway.

6. iMaconApple macrumors 6502a

just got mine replaced last week went to the apple store came in a black box i asked the guy if there new he said yes they come in a different shipping box..so i guess apple sends them like that..
    i cant see any dings or scratches it had a plastic cover on both sides when it came out the black box so its new

btw this is the apple store that got robbed and the guard shot him dead:eek:

7. amazingdm thread starter macrumors 6502

Everyone always tries to say the refurbs are just like new
    well bull ****, just got mine, and there are already scratches on it

8. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

lol. i'm sure you gave them a phone in PERFECT cosmetic condition? :rolleyes:

9. amazingdm thread starter macrumors 6502

Uh ya

10. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

This. And the numbers don’t mean anything any more as far as refurbs are concerned,

11. trssho macrumors 6502

J91090AxA4T

I too am getting a replacement phone mailed to me, and this is my serial. I cant find any info about the j in my serial. The serial does contain the week of manufacture. Mine appears to be 09 week of 2011. This is derived from the 109 in my serial number. What are the first 5 digits of your serial?

Oh, and by the way, did they tell u there was a charge for exchange? I wasn't told there is a charge when I talked to customer service, but the follow up email I received, indicated there was a $30 charge.

12. amazingdm thread starter macrumors 6502

Right.. but it's waived if you have applecare. So essentially I paid $69 so I could avoid paying $29 lol. $40 a 1 year extension to the warranty isn't bad though

13. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

I just got my 3GS replaced and its serial number starts with QR11.

Here's an old post I wrote about refurbished phones and the 5K serial number, not that the whole "5K" thing applies anymore.

14. amazingdm thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok talked to a supervisor I guess and she said she's going to send me a "forced replacement" when i asked if it was new. So is it new?

15. FelixDerKater macrumors 68020

FelixDerKater

It was depressing going today to the Genius Bar with an iPhone 4 that doesn't hold a charge for more than 1.5 hours and being sent away to "get a few more months of data for our analysis."

16. trssho macrumors 6502

That does not sound like the type of response I have heard from Apple service. If the phone was a couple days old, I could see them wanting it to go through some charge cycles and the such, but I would not have left if my fully charged iP4 went 1.5 hours and had to be charged. I can get 36 hours with moderate use.

17. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

No chance, they always take your money and run. Then if you need another that's what you get. Someone elses return that's been refurbished.