Do you think Apple should provide rebate to iPad 3 owners?

Do do think Apple should do something to keep iPad 3 owners happy?

• Yes, for making a point that they care about keeping their customers happy.

Votes: 31 35.6%
  • No, that's the price to pay for being early adopters.

Votes: 56 64.4%

• Total voters

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 27, 2007
The iPad 3 officially had the shorten life cycle EVER of any Apple products.

It's not that the iPad 3 became any slower than it was 6 months ago. But if you were one of those that just bought an iPad 3 recently, you must be to some extent disappointed to find that there is now a faster newer model for the same price (or even $20 cheaper if you are in Canada).

Do you think Apple should do something to make these people a little less upset, a small token of appreciation like some iTunes credit, or a cash rebate?

ucfgrad93

macrumors P6
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
No, Apple doesn't owe you anything. You still have a functioning device that does everything that it did the day you purchased it. Deal with the fact that you no longer have the latest and greatest.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011

It's not that the iPad 3 became any slower than it was 6 months ago. But if you were one of those that just bought an iPad 3 recently, you must be to some extent disappointed to find that there is now a faster newer model for the same price (or even $20 cheaper if you are in Canada).

Do you think Apple should do something to make these people a little less upset, a small token of appreciation like some iTunes credit, or a cash rebate?
No. My iPad 3 has been a great experience, and will continue to be one for a long while. Why would I want to punish Apple for improving its products?

deaglecat

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2012
No. My iPad 3 has been a great experience, and will continue to be one for a long while. Why would I want to punish Apple for improving its products?
Fair point.

But I do think it is a problem for those early adopters who suffered the teething troubles of the first Retina ipads and now have one with a legacy connector and a much slower processor (though the A5X is no slouch).

The graphics slowdowns in games reported on the old (new) ipad should be fixed by this.

It is good news... but I can understand the frustration of the loyal customers who were early adopters.

ArztMac

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2011
I wouldn't care if Apple released a new iPad every 2 weeks. I'd love it in fact...

Older models don't become obsolete, they are still the same product. I love when technology moves forward. Release a new iPad every day, that would be fun!!

Surf Monkey

macrumors 68030
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
No, of course not.

An exchange program where you pay an upgrade fee would be cool but it isn't going to happen. If it was part of Apple's plan we would have heard about it by now.

As I said in another thread, for all intents and purposes the so-called 4th generation iPad is the same device as the 3rd gen.

GraphicsGeek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2008
Why is it that when PCs and Android phones/tablets get updated every other week, its ok, but when Apple updates a device in under a year "everyone" get all bent out of shape about it? This move was to align ALL of their new release products (iPods, iPads, iPhones, Macs, etc) for the holiday season and to begi the phase out of the 30-pin connector.

To the OP, no one forced you to buy the iPad 3. Besides, if you really want the latest and greatest, sell yours and buy it. If you dont have the income then work with what you have.

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012

The iPad 3 is not at end of life!

This is so typical of a rabid Apple fan to thinks the world is ending!:eek:

deaglecat

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2012
Show a little sympathy guys... I would be p**sed,

...not because the device is any less useful (it is not) - but just because they bought assuming a roadmap which did not envisage it becoming outdated in 6 months.

A better poll would be :-

If you knew that apple would offer a double speed device in 6 months time would you
a) continue with your purchase
b) hold off for the new model

nfl46

macrumors 604
Oct 5, 2008
No. Android does it all the time with their phones, and the bad part is, those people are stuck in contracts.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
Fair point.

But I do think it is a problem for those early adopters who suffered the teething troubles of the first Retina ipads and now have one with a legacy connector and a much slower processor (though the A5X is no slouch).

The graphics slowdowns in games reported on the old (new) ipad should be fixed by this.

It is good news... but I can understand the frustration of the loyal customers who were early adopters.
I am an early adopter, and by definition, it means I am willing to throw the dice just to get the latest and greatest. I think Apple came through for me with the iPad 3, and I've got no regrets at all. The iPad 4 is OK, but it isn't a huge jump -- certainly not enough for me to get upset.

You want to know about user rage? Asus releases a (potentially) fantastic tablet that turns out to have useless GPS and WiFi that barely connects when you are sitting right next to the router, and then they announce a new tablet a few weeks later with a retina-like display and a fix for all of those problems. Of course, no refunds or apologies to the early adopters they screwed. In the end, the tablet took about half a year to come out, and by then it wasn't so desirable, but the announcement itself was a slap in the face.

At least Apple doesn't do stuff like that! Then again, Asus generally doesn't release products as far behind the curve as the iPad Mini is...

deaglecat

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2012
I am an early adopter, and by definition, it means I am willing to throw the dice just to get the latest and greatest. I think Apple came through for me with the iPad 3, and I've got no regrets at all. The iPad 4 is OK, but it isn't a huge jump -- certainly not enough for me to get upset.

You want to know about user rage? Asus releases a (potentially) fantastic tablet that turns out to have useless GPS and WiFi that barely connects when you are sitting right next to the router, and then they announce a new tablet a few weeks later with a retina-like display and a fix for all of those problems. Of course, no refunds or apologies to the early adopters they screwed. In the end, the tablet took about half a year to come out, and by then it wasn't so desirable, but the announcement itself was a slap in the face.

At least Apple doesn't do stuff like that! Then again, Asus generally doesn't release products as far behind the curve as the iPad Mini is...

Don't get me started on Asus build quality.. the Nexus 7 had lots of issues with ill fitting screens. And Google CS is (apparently) a whole new level of horror show.

ckurt25

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
Grand Rapids, MI
Is this a joke? People criticize Apple for not turning out new products like their competition and releasing products 3-4 months after their competition has passed them. The one time they do a quick refresh and stay on top of the market people start complaining that Apple owes them something for buying a product 6 months ago?

I bought a 27" iMac 2 1/2 years ago. Maybe I should get a prorated rebate now that there is a new design out.

The only people I feel bad for are the people that just bought an iPad a short time ago ago and are just outside the window to return it. Two friends bought iPads in the last 2 weeks and I told them to hold on to their receipts. Hopefully they listened.