Do YOU think Apple should release a 7.85" iPad Mini? POLL

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Mad Mac Maniac, Feb 14, 2012.

?

Should Apple release a 7.85" iPad

1. YES!

115 vote(s)
    47.3%
  2. No. 9.7" should be the only size

107 vote(s)
    44.0%
  3. No, but I would prefer the 6"-7" range

7 vote(s)
    2.9%
  4. No, But I would prefer an iPad larger than 10"

14 vote(s)
    5.8%
  1. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    What do you think? Should Apple release an iPad Mini?

I say yes. This is what I am imagining. A 7.95" tablet starting at a pricepoint of $300. Obviously in order to get the price that low, some minor compromises will need to be made. Things like non-retina display, inferior cameras, etc. Think of what the iPod touch is to the iPhone.

There are SO many groups I can think of that would benefit from the smaller size, weight, and price of such an iPad. And for those of you talking about any technical hurdles, these are just minor things that Apple can overcome. They are a smart company.

Here are a few prime examples of uses for a slightly smaller/cheaper iPad.

Education- with the new textbook initiative, Apple will really try to push iPads into the classroom. $300 vs $500 will really make a huge different in penetration into the school system. They will then also be lighter and less weildly for elementary school kids to carry around with them. Screen size would definitely be sufficent for such small hands.

Children- parents just don't typically spend $500 on "toys" for their children. The limit seems to be right around the $300 pricepoint of video game consoles. Instead of getting their kid an Xbox for Christmas/birthday, they will get an iPad mini. Again, the small size is probably even better for kids.

In business- so many businesses have been implementing iPad initiatives for employees. Sure the price would help, but I'm mostly thinking about the size. Imagine waiters taking your order on an iPad mini. Imagine retail employees becoming mobile cashiers walking around with iPad mini's to help you check out (or order out of stock items for you from anywhere around the store). Things like that, smaller would make them much more mobile and more like a clipboard.

The kindle fire lovers- a lot of people love what the kindle fire is about. Portable, inexpensive, good reader, good for casual games/browsing. Remember what is so great about the iPad in the first place? It's basically a computer-lite. Well this is an iPad-lite. Some people just don't need all that the iPad is. It's hard to convince someone looking at a Fire to spend an extra $300 for something they don't need, but an extra $100 to get the iPad name? That's do-able.

And that's just the beginning of the possibilities... but I dunno, that's just my take. What do you think? Yes or no?

2. snow blind macrumors regular

I voted for a larger iPad. If they produced me a more powerful, Air-based, 13" "pro-model" running iOS and OS X... I'll throw down whatever they ask! 7-8" no thanks, that's far too close to the 9.7" current model.

3. mwulf67 macrumors regular

Not only do I think they should, I think they are making a big mistake if they don't....

4. IscariotJ macrumors 6502a

Definitely, yes! TBH, I'd pay up to £399 for a 7-8" iPad for the right spec. The size is just right for taking to work, jotting down notes, reading on a lunch, etc. That's not to say I can't do any of that on an iPad, it's more of a convenience thing. I briefly considered a Xoom 2 8.2 / Fire, but really couldn't be bothered with having to find decent alternatives for my apps ( and didn't fancy having a device that was unable to receive timely OS updates.... ).

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I would love to see an iPad that had a 7-8 inch screen.

6. Hamburger macrumors regular

Don't know if I would buy one, but I definitely would love to play around with one and then make up my mind. I use it for web-surfing, emails and reading. No games, no content creation, so a lighter 8" iPad may be perfect for what I do. Don't need 3G cause I can download my epaper at home, 16GB are also fine with me as I don't watch movies on the iPad and have my music on the iPod.

7. Panch0 macrumors 6502a

I'd like to see a lower price point on a previous version, but I personally have no interest in a smaller screen size. Thinner, sure. Lighter, absolutely, Smaller, no thanks.

8. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

my wife and I look at the smaller tablets in stores all the time, well mainly pass them by, and laugh. they really are an Oversized Phone.

At least the iPad is a larger size. Especially with 4" screens. the 7-8 tablets are silly really.

a larger one sounds great to have in the kitchen or well, frankly on a wall like a tv. Large enough to be a desktop or TV and controlled via Siri or walked up and set the house security or thermostat or control lights, etc.

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I really like the size of the Playbook, Fire, Tab 7.0 Plus because it is a lot portable than an iPad.

10. Gorion macrumors member

I think they should release a smaller iPad, but only as long as they also leave the option of the 9.7" iPad. I really do like the size of the current iPads. To me, I think the 9.7" is great.

11. redscull, Feb 14, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2012

redscull macrumors 6502a

redscull

There are really only two sizes:
    1) fits-in-my-pocket-and-works-one-handed
    2) doesn't

The iPod Touch and iPhone fit in my pocket. They're small enough that I can hold them with one hand and work them pretty fully with my thumb (albeit more slowly than with two hands and/or fingers).

The iPad doesn't. A smaller iPad that still doesn't fit in my pocket is no more portable than my existing iPad. A smaller iPad that is still too large to operate one-handed is no more convenient than my current iPad.

If you find yourself wanting a smaller iPad, but not a Touch, then you either want it solely because you think that'll lower the price to a point you're more willing to pay, or you're simply wrong thinking it is better in any other conceivable way. Because it isn't. A small iPad is an inferior product with no business existing except to target a particular price point for an audience that still wouldn't buy it because they want what is the least costly without regard for practicality (and other "cheap" tablets will always win that battle).

That's not to say that Apple won't release a smaller iPad, but it'd be a case of caving to customer demands, not customer needs. Customers aren't always right. They don't really know what's best. There are smaller tablets in existence right now, and the proof is in the numbers. These tablets aren't winning. Why anyone would think that indicates we need more of them is a mystery. If you're holding out for a smaller iPad for any reason other than cost, I recommend you hold your breath until one becomes available. If you're holding out purely for cost, let's hope that the iPad 2s are kept around with the iPad 3s and sold at a lower price point. Or buy a used iPad 2.

12. urkel macrumors 68030

Nice to see people are finally being open minded to the OPTION of a smaller size.

We sold our iPad 2's to prepare for the next gen and while my wife would prefer the same 9.7" screen I'd gladly trade a smaller size for more portability. Choice is always a good thing and it's a shame when people declare options are bad simply because their preferred company doesn't offer it.

13. redscull macrumors 6502a

redscull

Here's what I think is a more interesting question. Assuming identical features and performance in every way (you want an iPad Mini, not an iPad Puny), just smaller, would you pay more for the smaller iPad? And if not, please re-think whether you actually want an iPad Mini, or just and iPad-that-costs-less. I really don't think polls should mix the size aspect with the price aspect.

14. aluren macrumors 65816

Love to see the presentation of the 7" tablet and how Apple will explain that. They can't imply that the regular iPad is too expensive. They can't say that they are following what Amazon is doing. They can't say that the 7" is better at certain task than the 9.7". Based on that, I doubt Apple will ever release one, unless the Kindle sells like 30 million units in 2012...

15. saberahul macrumors 68040

Finally I can have an iPhone in my right jeans pocket, an iPod Touch in the left one, an iPad 9.7" in my messenger bag outside pocket, a MacBook Pro in the computer pocket, and an 8" iPad in my sports coat pocket. Yes, I can now feel complete as The AppleMan.

16. h00ligan macrumors 68030

.....and it should come with a stylus. ..,,maybe they can call it something like newton.

17. tanboom macrumors member

Yessssssssss...I am with you.iPad 3 should be a bit smaller and lighter. Otherwise, I will blend it. :D

18. Stetrain macrumors 68040

I think it would be an interesting product. I also think they might should space it out a bit from the iPad 3 launch.

Hitting developers with both a new retina screen resolution and a new screen size to develop apps for might be a bit rough.

I guess a ~8" iPad could run existing 1024x768 apps without changes, although touch targets would be slightly smaller.

It would also be a much more complicated product line.

19. tentales macrumors 6502a

tentales

No! Size is perfect for its function.

I think redscull summed it up pretty good already.

I just like to add, that Apple didn't do itself any favours when it "diversified" the Mac into a plethora of different sizes and variations of internals. Steve Jobs had to clean up the "feature-itis" when he first returned to Apple in '97.

I like the current form factor
    Making different sized iPads will make it less unique, less iconic and more confusing for accessory manufacturers. K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid.

20. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

They will be SOLD OUT with only 1 size for months.

So NO. In the future I would like to see smaller sizes for unique applications. Example: A replacement for my car stereo / navigation system. TV Remote. Other solutions where the iPhone and iPod Touch are too small.

On the other hand, why not increase the size of the iPod Touch. I do not need one because it is the same size as my iPhone. But a larger iPod Touch would be nice as a TV Remote like I mentioned above.

21. motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

I'm not gonna say yes or no. But I'd buy one in a heart beat.

22. David085 macrumors 6502a

David085

I think they should so consumers have more of a choice but I will be buying the iPad 3 standard size since I don't want a smaller screen size I like the standard better

23. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Wow, talk about total arrogance. Steve would be proud.

24. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I thought there should be a smaller version of the iPad... Until I saw it in real life. The iPad is small as it is. If anything there should be a larger iPad, IMO :)

25. motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

[​IMG]