Do you think Apple will build their own processors?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gonnabuyamacbsh, Feb 4, 2011.

1. gonnabuyamacbsh macrumors 6502

They have all the resources to make this possible. They could do graphics too. Then they won't have to rely on intel, nvidia, amd, etc. They built their own stuff for the iphones and ipads, why not their laptops and maybe even desktops.

Excuse me if this is a stupid question, I'm just curious. :eek:

2. Erasmus, Feb 4, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2011

Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

No. Intel own their own fabrication plants, have been designing CPUs for millennia, and also produce chipsets, SSDs, and are starting to produce decent IGPs.

Apple are making custom chipsets for existing CPUs and GPUs, and getting small companies they own to design and build chips that nobody else really builds.

I would say that if Apple wanted to build their own CPUs, they would buy AMD, maybe buy a fab plant, and then would require 5-10 years to actually finish the planning, designing and all that stuff before they start producing CPUs and GPUs that were actually designed for Apple's principles, as opposed to things based off present and planned AMD products.

Basically, it would be too hard, and not even close to worth it, when Apple can get fantastic CPUs and IGPs (SSDs soon hopefully) from Intel, and GPUs from AMD or NVIDIA, while keeping their staff working on building cases, software, and the next "wow".

3. celticpride678

Apple already makes the processor found in the iPhone 4 and iPod touch. However, since they have deals with Intel and NVIDIA, I don't see this happening anytime soon (if ever).

4. vipergts2207 macrumors 65816

vipergts2207

Not any time soon. There are a multitude of things preventing this. One of the primary obstacles would be the need to hire a ton of engineers and if they want to build processors as good as Intel's they'll need a lot of experienced engineers and these people don't exactly grow on trees.

5. fortunecookie macrumors regular

fortunecookie

It will not be good for us(consumers) its better if apple concentrate on the software and aesthetics of their products, also the overall apple experience.

6. ender land macrumors 6502a

No.

I do not want to pay the huge increase to an already premium product if they do so, even if it does end up working better.

The ONLY exception would be if long term life was significantly better (which I highly doubt from a new process).

7. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Well, for one thing Apple doesn't actually *make* processors, they just design custom versions based on existing ARM designs, and have Samsung manufacture them.

That said, I think that this is very much a possibility for the Mac line. Not for a few years, but imagine if in 5 years the iPad and the Macbook Air were basically the same machine, running the same OS, one with a touch interface layer and one that used a more traditional trackpad/keyboard interface.

Compared to Intel's offerings, I think that ARM-based processors can provide a lot longer battery life while offering good performance, an area where Intel has been lacking (the Atom line specifically). Remember Apple's arguments when announcing the switch to Intel from PowerPC? They were all about performance-per-watt.

Remember also that Windows 8 will run on ARM processors. I think that we could realistically see ARM-based netbooks in two or three years.

8. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Not likely. It would be a very big step backwards in performance, or it would be a lot of time and money spent by Apple to create what Intel already offers them without the research.

9. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

Apple dont "build" their own processors, they only design it and order the processors from Samsung

so NO

10. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

If by saying Apple builds their own processors, people are referring to the A4, that isn't really indicative of anything. The A4 is mostly the same as other ARM SoCs like the Snapdragon and the Hummingbird but the A4 is optimised for Apple's requirements. This is a far cry from Apple attempting to do what Intel or AMD does. I can only imagine that this will lead to the hardware in Macs falling even further behind.

11. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Unlikely due to costs, lack of production capability, and lack of design capability. At this point in time, ANY company trying to compete with Intel/AMD is at a HUGE disadvantage simply due to their level of experience, capability, production speed, and research facilities. IMO this is why we have not seen any major CPU makers other than the big two last very long.

12. calaverasgrande macrumors 65816

calaverasgrande

they already went down that path with PowerPC. After everyone else backed out of the PowerPC Axis of Evil or whatever it was called, Apple was left on a dead end architecture that did not scale. hence the giant cooling system on the G5 Tower.

13. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

PowerPC was Motorola's. of course it had no advance technology

14. mark28 macrumors 68000

Apple doesn't make their own stuff for the iPhones and iPads. It's based on the ARM CPU with the help of Samsung who now produces the CPU's for the iPads and iPhones.

15. fortunecookie macrumors regular

fortunecookie

Will there come a time that apple will be big enough to buy intel. Then we can say that apple makes their own chips! :)

16. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

All of Apple's hardware, is not made by Apple, its only designed or ordered by Apple from some other company. Such as the CPU for Iphone 4 and ipad is made by Samsung. Flash Memory is either samsung, toshiba, or hitachi

17. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

18. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Exactly. Apple's marketing is so superior that it has so many people believing that they actually build the hardware, which in fact is not the case. You will never see "build by Apple", instead all you will see is "designed by Apple" or "designed in Cupertino" on their packaging.

Despite being the biggest technology company in terms of market cap, I don't think Apple currently has the right infrastructure and resources to start manufacturing and building their hardware and products. They would have to go on a spending spree just to get the foundation setup and it would take even more to start producing things.

19. MOFS macrumors 65816

MOFS

Er it was AIM's [Apple, IBM and Motorola]. link here. And the short answer is "no, never again". The long answer is "no, because it would be too expensive for them to do this and a waste of money for them to do this when Intel will do this for $150 a computer." Similarly I don't think they'll go for AMD, as they've already got a good alliance with Intel, and I think it's been good business for Intel too [I think it makes them look a lot more classy to have a brand like Apple on their side].

20. vipergts2207 macrumors 65816

vipergts2207

21. newdeal macrumors 68020

no they won't and they also dont make the chip. The design is a variation of a licensed design that is then produced by samsung

22. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I think as big is Apple is, it's primarily a devices company for 60% percent of its income (iPod, iPad, iPhone), and the rest among computers, software, and services.

I can't imagine Apple expanding more than it has from a computer/software company to a devices/computer company to an "everything" company and make processors, too.

23. SidBala macrumors 6502a

Apple could make their own hardware. But I can't imagine them being competitive against Intel, AMD and nVidia.

Those guys have been doing this for many years now.

24. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

apple will never make processors/GPUs for their Comp. lineup.