Do you think apple will definitely release a new iphone in 2010?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TwoBytes, Jun 14, 2009.

?

Do you think apple will definitely release a new iphone in 2010?

1. Yes

182 vote(s)
    97.3%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    2.7%
  1. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

They may not and leave us with the 3gs...

spend your penny in this vote ;)

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I'm sure they will it won't be too much. Of course a cosmetic upgrade, maybe the front facing camera but nothing too major.

This is a far cry from pissed off 3g owners who think the only difference in the 3G and the 3G is simply the badge and a compass and forget that their precious 3g is the same as the 1st gen, both of which are slower than the 2nd gen ipod

3. Jeremy81 macrumors 6502

Obviously.. Hopefully they will lose the crappy plastic back next time.

4. shrimpdesign macrumors 6502a

shrimpdesign

Of course they will. iPods get updated every year, and the iPhone is a more important product now.

5. BCurry1 macrumors member

Yes I think they will come out with a new one. I dont believe it will be a major overhaul like others have speculated.

6. Vinom macrumors member

2010 will be THE upgrade!

My source that feeds me some interesting tidbits on upcoming releases in the Apple world told me before the announcements that "The 2009 iPhone will be an incremental update, not the one that you really want." Although I have pre-ordered my 3G S⃣ , I was told that the 2010 update will be very substantial... with all of the stuff I am looking for.

My source has been right each time he has shared info with me.

7. 3247 macrumors regular

Of course, there will be an update.

Even if there's not a re-design, you can always add some minor upgrades:
    • Higher camera resolution (5 Mpx)
    • Faster processor
    • Higher capacity (64 GB)
    • Faster network (HSPA+, 802.11n)
    • More UMTS bands (e.g. 2600 MHz) and modes (e.g. TD-SDCMA for China)
    Further, some obvious features are still missing:
    • camera flash (LED or even Xenon)
    • front-facing camera (standard on nearly every 3G smartphone)
    • Micro-USB to comply with future legislations
    • SD card slot (just kidding)

8. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It could be like this:

2007: iPhone introduced
    2008: Major external upgrade (new case design), minor internal upgrade (3G and GPS)
    2009: Minor external (fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating), major internal (video recording/editing, better camera with autofocus, improved battery life, faster speed, voice control, digital compass, Nike+, etc.)
    2010: Major external, minor internal

So on...

9. revs macrumors regular

Yes, every year like clockwork there will be a new iPhone.
    My guess is that there will be a new design every 2 years, with an "S" version inbetween.

10. ran007reed macrumors newbie

... listen to this guy - "My source"... lol

11. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

iThought you got to play around with the new phone?

To answer the question "yes", maybe Vinom will get his source to tell us all the details?

12. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

HA. You people saying a minor internal upgrade next year must be completely oblivious to the articles about the ARM9 Cortex DUAL cpu. Apple's hired ARM coders as seen about a month ago, so it's pretty much certain they're going to stick with the ARM architecture. Not to mention the 45nm chips with A9 uses will drastically improve battery life over the A8 in the 3G S. Couple this with the 3,1 iPhone seen in the dev builds of 3.0, which guarantees a processor upgrade next time around.:D

Add the CPU to 512mb ram and an even better GPU and:

4G iPhone >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 3GS

Don't be so immature that you have to justify your worthless purchase by saying the 3GS is a "major" upgrade. Apple even kept the same 3G name to the phone! Don't you think if it was so big that Apple would want people to think of it that way....not as a small bump from the 3G.

13. TwoBytes thread starter macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

the upgrade next year will sort out the bad video quality on the current 3gs!

i know we haven't seen the quality yet but it surely isn't nothing to write home about..

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Of course there will be an update. It's pure speculation whether it will be a major or minor update. Regardless of ones source

I'm sure we'll hear all sorts of rumors of what it may or may not be in the coming months. Just look at the rumors that preceded the 3GS

15. Ksg89 macrumors member

Way too early really to speculate what iPhone will be released in just over a years time, considering this time last week we only had "strong rumours" about this years iPhone.

I'm thinking for 2010 apple will allow any carrier have the iPhone but must be at a certain price point for the device itself. Also must provide unlimited 3G etc. This will no doubt bring a big war between the carriers for the "cheapest" iPhone, and of course apple are in a win win situation here.

16. nfl46 macrumors 603

Of course the 2010 iPhone is going to be better than the 3G S version. The 3G S version is better than the 3G version. Every year the specs improve. I don't see why people are calling the 3G S version a minor upgrade, when its clearly outshines the 3G version. The only did it was missing was a change of the back casing.

17. Bowlerguy10 macrumors 6502

I wouldn't be surprised if the next iPhone has a 4G antenna and is an enormous update since this one was so slight.

18. hefeglass macrumors 6502a

wow, he's an expert on something he and everyone else hasnt even seen yet..

(i have seen short clip from the 3gs, but it was uplaoded to youtube and horrible pre-processed.)

19. TwoBytes thread starter macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

Well, i mentioned i haven't seen it. I'm sure it's ok but based on what we know, it's VGA quality

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=716981

20. rushmere macrumors 6502

rushmere

Yes, without any shadow of a doubt.

In fact, I'd put money on it!

The iPhone is now too big for Apple not to release a new model at least once every year.

21. Jon-Luke macrumors 6502

Jon-Luke

I'm not getting the 3G S⃣ purely because I'm counting on a 2010 upgrade, so there had better be one - But looking at the past three years I think its safe to say that apple has developed a yearly upgrade trend and if there was no upgrade then I think they could bring large concerns to apple stock holders, so I'm pretty sure the trend will continue.

My hopes for 2010:
    1. Front facing camera
    2. Wireless N
    3. 64GB or more HD
    4. Better camera (5MP maybe)
    5. Camera Flash
    6. Unibody design???
    7. Maybe a dedicated push service like blackberry has???

:rolleyes::apple:

22. fratboy macrumors regular

OMGGGGGG the freaking 3G S hasnt been released yet and you people are talking about a year from now.. LET US ENJOY them for awhile before we start talking about a new version

23. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Let's not get off topic, for those that voted no?

Why wouldn't Apple release a phone in 2010?

24. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

So that they continue to have the latest and greatest. They only want Apple to upgrade the iPhone when their contract is over and they can get it for cheap.

It is very, very unlikely Apple will NOT release a new iPhone. There is already evidence towards a new iPhone with the 3.1 model being found in dev seeds.

25. hatcher146 macrumors 6502

Because this is called macRUMORS. We speculate things to come...