Do you think Apple will replace my power cable?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Ceviche Lover, Oct 26, 2014.

1. Ceviche Lover macrumors regular

I purchased a new Macbook Air Mid-2012 with Applecare+. Over the last 2 years the power cable is been wearing out. It works fine but I'm concerned it can catch fire at some point. While I was at the Apple store I explained the situation to one of the employees and she explained it was up to the tech to decide if it can be replaced. Is it worth going? I don't want to make the trip only to find out it can't be replaced due to normal 'wear and tear'.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

What the heck happened to it? I can see it wearing at the plug but how did it get cut in the middle of the cord?:rolleyes:

I have used one of the cords for several years and never seen this.

3. hishat89 macrumors newbie

This happened to me, upon taking it to the apple store they consider this to be wear and tear and most likely will not replace it for you free of charge.

My solution to this problem although won't be to keen on the eyes is to wrap it electrical wire tape.

The exposed wires do carry a significant fire risk and it is not advisable to use on top of any material that traps air, such as duvet covers. Thats my opinion anyway, you do have the option of purchasing a new power adapter also.

4. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

I detach my cable from the computer at the very tip (RED), not from the cord (BLUE) itself as you see in your photos.

Attached Files:

5. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Considering that it is slightly dangerous (not _very_ dangerous, because it is on the low voltage side of your charger), I'd hope that they replace it - after showing you repeatedly how to unplug a cable without destroying it! If they don't replace it, go to the nearest DIY store and buy some electric tape that you wrap around it. Don't leave it as it is. (£0.90 on eBay).

6. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

I've had issues like that with my lightening cables. Crazy thing is it's with cables that have never been bent or anything. They heat while charging and the cables just fray over time. Never had that happen with a laptop charger though.

7. Alimar macrumors 6502a

Alimar

If it is still within the three years, Apple should replace it. You can also try J-B Weld - Plastic Weld. It works on Lightning cables. Not pretty, though.

Attached Files:

8. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I have felt the cables while charging and though they may heat up a "tiny" bit, they are not the cause of the OP's damages. I can see a bit of fray potential at the connector but looking at the middle of the OP's cable . . . . . what do you think? Does taht look like normal wear?:eek:

9. JHUFrank macrumors 6502a

JHUFrank

If there is one weakness in Apple laptops, this is it. Chargers are just terrible. I have had this had multiple times with these white chargers. However, I return them immediately when they start showing abnormal wear, and Apple has always exchanged them. I think they are less inclined to care 2 years in, and with wires hanging out everywhere.

10. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

WHOA there...

You're not still using that, are you?

If you are, STOP RIGHT NOW and get another one.

Paying to replace it is better than starting a fire.

Be more careful with your cords, man.

11. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

THIS! :eek:

Do not use that cord ever again. Do not plug it in to the wall, do not plug it in to the computer. Go get a new cord. Take that one in, Apple may replace it. But even if they don't, get a new one - that one is a severe fire hazard.