Do YOU think buying AppleCare plus for the iPhone 8 is a good idea?

Hieveryone

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
I went on ahead and got AppleCare plus for my iPhone 8. Was that a smart idea?

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
It depends. AppleCare is an insurance policy for your iPhone. If you feel that it was necessary, that's all that matters. Especially given for those who might be more accident prone or for the situations when you least expect something to happen.

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
Personally yes, that's just me. I've only used it once for my iPhone 5. It's just piece of mind.

BUT when I had it for my iPhone 6 Plus and the charging cable that came with the new phone "crimped" and broke within 2 weeks of owning it..trying to get a new one from the Apple Store down the street was actually an unpleasant experience. I felt like these Apple Genius reps, 2 of them gave me this look of "well this is your fault" - they gave in but they also gave me attitude. That ticked me off I admit.

Maybe this was the very first cable fail they saw, who knows?..After that I'm 100% sure this was not the last cable issue, these were - and still are prone to breaking very easily!

bgro

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2010
South Florida
For a cracked screen it's not worth it imo since the Apple replacement screen is just about equal to the cost of Apple Care + screen replacement deductible.

For 2 cracked screens it's worth it. Anything else, probably worth it. But only if you're a klutz.

Let you past history determine that, if you constantly drop/break phones then buy it. Personally, I'm doing a payment plan so an extra $3/month for AppleCare doens't sound too bad.

solo118

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2011
I am not a fan as it does not cover lost/stolen phones. I can insure elsewhere.

artfossil

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2015
Florida
I've purchased AppleCare for everything forever and for me its worth it for peace of mind. But after a dismal experience with Apple and AppleCare+ and my 6S phone last spring, I went to ATT's mobile insurance for my new phone. Coverage for loss and theft as well as damage and they overnight you a replacement phone.

blairian89

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2016
Texas
Yes. I purchased it and had to use it in the first day because my dumb ass dropped my phone about three feet off of the ground and shattered the back.

I also pay for insurance with Verizon for loss/theft. I prefer to use Apple's because the deductible is lower and you're getting a known quantity as a replacement device; low risk of a bad refurb.

I also prefer having multiple layers of protection - never know what will go wrong and what will or will not be replaced in every circumstance.

4ppleg1rl

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2017
I never understood why people bought AppleCare, I got insurance for my 8+, it came to £70 for the whole year, everything included. Isn't insurance better than Apple Care?

Reactions: S3rv3d

Dr_Charles_Forbin

macrumors regular
May 11, 2016
That's now my view. For phones. And of course depending on the terms.
Depending. Even insurance like square trade is now putting limits on the claims... that's why I stopped using them. I also would much rather bring the phone to Apple to be fixed than some local shop putting in digitizers from AliBaba where the quality is questionable. Yes, I know i can have them reimburse me but I just like AppleCare. I carry theft/loss from Verizon too.

Reactions: blairian89

KittyKatta

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011
SoCal
I buy AC+ on every device. For $99 then I felt its worth it. But then Tim Cook happened. AppleCare+ jumped to $129 and then now to $199. And last year AppleCare+ stopped covering purchased Apple Accessories (like my $50 leather case where the pristine inside lining had an issue. Or the $70 Apple Plastic iPad Case cracked on the corner because "You removed the case the wrong way").

I do feel that AppleCare is worth it because it covers your Apple Lightning Cable since those seem to bubble up every half a year. And they do prorate a refund if you sell your device. But with AC+ prices going up then I dont know if I'll buy it again.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I was always one who thought Apple Care was a waste until a laundry pod broke in my pocket destroying my iPhone 6.
I have never purchased Apple care on any of my phone. Glad to say I never needed it. Only thing I bought it for was my first Apple Watch. I am so far ahead on the money end from not buying that I feel I have save enough to do the big repair if needed. If something happened to my phone I would buy another the next day as I need to run my company.

Dr_Charles_Forbin

macrumors regular
May 11, 2016
I buy AC+ on every device. For $99 then I felt its worth it. But then Tim Cook happened. AppleCare+ jumped to $129 and then now to $199. And last year AppleCare+ stopped covering purchased Apple Accessories (like my $50 leather case where the pristine inside lining had an issue. Or the $70 Apple Plastic iPad Case cracked on the corner because "You removed the case the wrong way").

I do feel that AppleCare is worth it because it covers your Apple Lightning Cable since those seem to bubble up every half a year. And they do prorate a refund if you sell your device. But with AC+ prices going up then I dont know if I'll buy it again.
[doublepost=1506458754][/doublepost]Really? I wasn’t aware of that. I’ve spent a bit of money on quality lightning cables. I didnt know that the originals were covered under AppleCare. Good to know.. thanks

MacDevil7334

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX
I have never purchased AppleCare on any of my phone. Glad to say I never needed it. Only thing I bought it for was my first Apple Watch. I am so far ahead on the money end from not buying that I feel I have save enough to do the big repair if needed. If something happened to my phone I would buy another the next day as I need to run my company.
This. I have owned every iPhone since the 3G and have never paid for Apple care. I have only had to pay for one out of warranty repair on an iPhone 4 and it came to $150. Even with that one cost, I’m still way far ahead by not having bought it for any of my phones.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

blairian89

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2016
Texas
Depending. Even insurance like square trade is now putting limits on the claims... that's why I stopped using them. I also would much rather bring the phone to Apple to be fixed than some local shop putting in digitizers from AliBaba where the quality is questionable. Yes, I know i can have them reimburse me but I just like AppleCare. I carry theft/loss from Verizon too.
This right here.