do you think i should feel bad about getting a macbook now?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ksabek, Sep 15, 2008.

1. ksabek macrumors member

well i know this isnt much of an important issue but ive been thinking about much lately and wanted to share my opinion with the rest of you, well I got the black macbook on the 28th of August knowing that there might be a new macbook to be released mid Oct. Well I start uni in beg of Oct so I need the laptop before that. After getting the laptop in a day I heard that new laptops will be released in mid Sept, then I was so mad at myself, but thank God that event was for the ipod. Anyways so you think I am making a big deal out of this subject, knowing that maybe 2 months will pass since my purchase of the macbook for new ones to be out?

2. *Sandy* macrumors 6502

stop it! stop 2nd guessing yourself.... you did what was best for you!

3. Deschain macrumors member

the fact that a new macbook is coming out doesn't make the current macbook any worse.

Some people will be kicking themselves because the don't have the latest and the greatest but really that's more of an ego thing than anything else.

4. The Hammer macrumors regular

Yes your making too big a deal of it. As the song says don't worry be happy.

5. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Will your MacBook now be able to do all that you need to do quickly and easily? Then be happy :)

Apple never said there would be an event, or any updates to the MacBook, it's all rumors. Of course there will be an update some time, but what it will contain is unknown.

6. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Since you're asking, odds are you probably will feel bad about it...

Should you? I'd say no...but you may have already made up your mind whether you know it or not.

7. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

It's not wrong to feel bad! Just don't let it consume you. Everyone gets upset when their model is no longer the best one. I bought my MacBook last August and it was updated in October. Granted, it was just incremental, but whatever. The point is, my machine still works for everything I need it to do.

8. r0flmonster macrumors newbie

Unless you're the type of person who needs to have the latest and greatest, I don't think you should feel bad at all. I just bought a Macbook on Sept. 12th. One of the best days of my 18 year old life haha. Knowing that Apple will most likely update the Macbook, but this computer is all i need for now. Plus, the rumors going around that the new macbook will have a aluminum case, Idk, but Im happy I got the white. :D My .02
    P.S.- Don't trip over it, enjoy your new Macbook!:apple:

9. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

Hope you got your iPod Touch out of it!

Either way, enjoy your computer. :)

10. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Don't look back, the MacBook is an awesome piece of work. I love mine.

11. ksabek thread starter macrumors member

thnx everyone....!!!!!!!
    ya the macbook is what I need for uni, its perfect and IM LOVIN IT!!!!
    damn microsoft n its windows!!!:D

12. i0Nic macrumors 65816

<devil's advocate>
    You won't be loving it so much when the sexy new aluminum macbook comes out with a cheaper price, smaller/lighter frame and better specs in just a few short weeks :p
    </devil's advocate>

13. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Agreed. I think you'll feel bad about it when you look at the specs and photos, but there really won't be a huge difference in specs, and if you're getting it for uni, do you want the poor reliability of a brand new rev. A product design? All new designs have problems. Look at the 15" MBP when it was first released (even though it was very similar to the 15" PowerBook), 2G and 3G iPhones, MobileMe, etc etc. Same goes for other computer brands.

I wouldn't deal with the headache, and I don't know why so many people are eager to be guinea pigs in October. I plan on getting a new MBP when the new design comes, but only AFTER they've revised it once (rev. B). If the redesigned MBP comes out in October, then rev B will probably come 6-8 months after that.

As a student at uni, it would be horrible if you had to get your laptop (and only computer?) fixed 2 or 3 times, and have performance issues to worry about. :)

14. TFMTASAD macrumors regular

You probably feel bad once you see the new thing but it'll wear off after a few days. You got a great little piece of hardware right now and there is now way the new gen is going to make it obsolete. Don't get into this pattern of always wanting the absolute new stuff the day it's released. You'll never be completly satisfied and you'll end up burning through your money very quickly.

Is there any of your needs that isn't fulfilled by the current MB?

15. Mcbar macrumors newbie

Enjoy your Mac

i can kind of get what your saying - i bought my first Mac about a month ago, i was well aware that there were rumors floating around about the updates. for me, i had seen anyone i respected using a mac for their music recording and production, which is what i wanted to get into so a macbook was my choice. i cant see a time when i will need to do things that take more than the 2.4 duo core 2 i have so i made up my mind.
    Then i hear that the new update could involve Aluminum so that was the decider - call me shallow but i love the 'classic' white macbook design, the keyboard, everything! - it was definitely part of it for me.
    i have to say as a first time macbook owner i have been completely blown away by the speed, elegance and ease of my cross-over from, what i now quickly realize, was the dark side of computing.
    worried about getting a macbook too quick? -man i should have done it years ago. Of course you might have a pang of jealousy when you see the advertising, but that it what those people are paid to do - make you want stuff - NEW stuff.
    i am already in mac heaven and that is enough for me - enjoy your macbook! :D

16. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

I absolutely hate the look of aluminum so personally I won't feel bad at all. I knew before buying the updates were coming and my deciding factor was to get it before the updates because I saw what is supposedly is the new design and well I don't like it. Plus aluminum doesn't do as well as plastic for wireless(which for me is a big deal--I travel a lot). I'm sure it will be nice but like I said I hate aluminum laptops. Had them and they have their drawbacks as well. The specs won't be much different anyways. Plus you got a free ipod touch. It was a great deal. Don't listen to people who say you should of waited. Some of them say it was dumb to not wait. I say it was dumb not to take the deal.

Regardless of what people decide they will get an awesome computer. It's an Apple.

17. Random Gecko macrumors member

I don't really like aluminium ever so I'm kinda in two minds about what to do. Whether to buy one now, or just wait. I'll be more pissed at spending the slightly extra cash for a slightly less powerful machine than I would be happy that the case is now aluminium and not the plastic I prefer!

I know it's likely to be a tiny amount, but the point remains the same :p

18. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

You'll be fine, the sun will come up tomorrow and your computer will still do all the things you want it to do.

19. eavolution macrumors newbie

I think I'm going to wait. Just because I want more + better Mac for my money, and I'm not bothered about iPods. My subject doesn't start teaching until the 29th september and it's not intensive on using a computer, I think I can hold out. It'll be my first mac, why not get the newest? :D

20. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

I would also if I was in the UK. I love that Apple didn't offer the iPod touch in their back to school deal for you guys. That sucks. Oh well. You people get things we don't get sometimes.

Be careful when you say a more +better Mac. 1st gens have been known to have all sorts of problems. I have had 2 1st gen Mac's and swore never again. Hope it doesn't happen to you guys this time.

21. aquajet macrumors 68020

I will add that there are far more pressing matters to tend to as a rising college student. If your current new machine gets the job done, why worry about having the next best thing on the horizon? Keeping up with the Joneses is a bad affliction to have, especially as a college student. If you allow yourself to go down that road now, you'll find yourself in the same lustful position next year when the next model is announced. Be happy and feel fortunate with what you have today. Go outside and get some fresh air. Ride a bike. Read a book. Study something. Do anything to get your mind off of an endless cycle of needless consuming. Chances are you'll find yourself in a deep and depressing hole if you don't nip these thoughts in the bud.

22. macgirl82mjn macrumors member

macgirl82mjn

no way! you got what you got when you needed it.
    i just bought one too....i've had it like a week. am so happy.

23. patcase86 macrumors newbie

I was in the same situation. I bought my MacBook last Thursday, it just came to my door about an hour ago (can't wait to get out of work today!). I got it because of 2 reasons: back to school deal, and insurance money. My last MacBook was stolen and I had 6 months to get a new one for the insurance to pay out. that 6 months is Sept 21st. Anyways, so I pretty much got a free MacBook and I already sold my Touch (have an iPhone).

Still, deep down I want to have the latest and greatest. Secretly, I hope the new MacBooks aren't that great. Diabolical of me - but that's how I keep my sanity. :D

24. *Sandy* macrumors 6502

Or if the fans spin at 6200, the heat is Hot, and the LED screen is yellow.........
    thanks but I am set :)

25. Dorde macrumors newbie

i just bought one yesterday...i was waiting since june when i found out about the rumors of the new macbook's...but yesterday i gave in and bought one and regret waiting at all...this macbook rocks lol...