Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
You could simply get the Sim, walk into an Apple Store, up to a Genius and explain that you have an ipad on order, have your AT&T sim already and would like to activate it before the price plans change. I'm sure if you ask nicely and be honest and not shady - the staff may be more willing to help you properly.

I would try this. Occasionally you do run into a helpful staff member at the Apple store.

jreuschl

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2008
They likely do not even know about the plan changes -- Apple's site STILL lists the old plans. I know, they do not go into effect until the 7th, but you cannot buy an iPad and get it by that time, so Apple needs to state what the user would be getting.

I wonder if AT&T did this to Apple without them knowing.

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
What the HELL are you talking about? How does financial status even PLAY into this question I'm asking?

First of all, technically I'll be spending MORE each month on data than I would on the 2GB plan ($30 > $25, hooray for math!).

Secondly, how am I trying to "save a buck"? I'm trying to get VALUE for my money, and to me, $5 more per month for unlimited use, is VALUE.

Or are you suggesting, rather pompously, that I just "be happy" with the 2GB a month plan, and shell out an additional $15 a month when I go over that??

:confused: Seriously, explain.

Maybe you go thru data like water and want the Unlimited plan.

What you're suggesting to do is to go into a store and take something without paying for it. The last time I checked, that is stealing. And don't give me the argument that you're just coming in to exchange something of equal value. If that was true you wouldn't have to do it while no one was looking.

Calling me pompous? Yes I agree, I am better than you.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
You don't need to beg for a ipad sim, you can just buy one:
http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/accessory-details/?q_sku=sku4530230

As to activating it in store, who cares? He's still paying the $30 a month, I don't see him doing anything wrong in the least. He's certainly NOT stealing anything, that's completely ludicrous. I bet if you asked nicely an Apple genius would probably just activate it in store, saving you all the sneaking around.

moneyman118

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2009
They likely do not even know about the plan changes -- Apple's site STILL lists the old plans. I know, they do not go into effect until the 7th, but you cannot buy an iPad and get it by that time, so Apple needs to state what the user would be getting.

I wonder if AT&T did this to Apple without them knowing.

Apple knew about this before the announcement. There is nothing in the store that is not CURRENT. Walk in on June 7 and you will see new displays.

Karnivore

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2010
I've decided since iPads are taking 2+ weeks to ship, and I cannot buy mine until a week or two from now, to do this.

Because I do NOT want to have the limited 2GB/$25 data plan when I buy my iPad... I want the 3G unlimited, but obviously how can I do that when I don't have an iPad in my hands right?

I plan to purchase an iPad SIM card from AT&T retail store.

(Will they ask for proof that I own an iPad? Will they just sell it to me, with no questions asked?)

Then I will take that SIM card to an Apple Store, and take the SIM out of a display iPad, and stick my SIM in (LOL...) and activate it quickly with Unlimited.

But Apple Stores always have security guards watching the sales floor, and they always seem so mean and quiet and unfriendly... Will I get in trouble for this? I don't want to get yelled at in front of countless people.
If you're near Louisville, KY you're welcome to use my iPad. Also, consider putting an ad in your local Crags List and offer someone little money (~$20.00) for letting you use their iPad for five minutes.

jreuschl

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2008
Apple knew about this before the announcement. There is nothing in the store that is not CURRENT. Walk in on June 7 and you will see new displays.

How do you know? Why do you think Apple should be advertising on their site about unlimited plans knowing that anyone who tries to purchase the iPad would not be able to get that plan by the time they receive it?

jlamb0

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2008
You seem to be assuming that AT&T will continue offering the unlimited plan to those currently subscribed, just as they are offering the $30 unlimited iPhone plans to those currently under contract.

Do we know this is the case?

With the iPad plans pre-paid, no contract, I don't think AT&T is obligated to continue offering the unlimited plans after all the current users' month-long subscriptions have expired.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

JodyK

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2010
Northern Atlanta suburbs
first choice is going into an apple store and ask them to help you with this.

second choice is to ask a friend who has an ipad to do this for you.

last choice is to try to do it the way you planned to do it. you will get caught because they always check what people are doing in the apple store.

This is the best plan i might add in second choice 2B. Post here to see if there is someone near you with a 3G if you don't know of anyone with one.

macboy4

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2009
You seem to be assuming that AT&T will continue offering the unlimited plan to those currently subscribed, just as they are offering the $30 unlimited iPhone plans to those currently under contract.

Do we know this is the case?

With the iPad plans pre-paid, no contract, I don't think AT&T is obligated to continue offering the unlimited plans after all the current users' month-long subscriptions have expired.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

As long as you don't let the plan lapse you are grandfathered in. If, however, you cancel it and reactivate it only the new plan will be available.

Also, I seem to recall that the original iPhone was locked to its SIM card and you had to reactivate it when you put in a different one. If the iPad is like that, you won't be able to use someone else's iPad to activate (since doing so would reset the IMEI to your account) and you'll have to have AT&T switch the IMEI in their system when yours comes in as the IMEI on record will be the iPad with which you originally activated.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I would go to AT&T and get an iPad sim card (you might need to go to a Corporate store)

Then ask about activation at Apple Store.

I would try this. Occasionally you do run into a helpful staff member at the Apple store.

Are you kidding? Apple retail store has the highest customer satisfaction in the industry. "Occasionally?" LOL.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Two things to consider:

1. Apple Store iPhones have had their SIM card slots glued shut since shortly after the original iPhone went on display. People kept stealing the SIMs. I wouldn't expect the iPad 3Gs to be any different.

2. Apple Store devices run special images that are locked down (with controls tighter than are what are available publicly). Even if you got your SIM into an iPad 3G, I'd be surprised if Apple hasn't locked down the area of the iPad where you can modify the data plan. If not, customers playing around with the iPad could way too easily "accidentally" cancel/modify the device's AT&T demo data plan.

Scooterman1

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2008
Houston, Tx
It would be even more embarrassing if you were to find yourself being yelled at in jail, and in court. Apple might say you were stealing the IMEI, or Serial Numbers, and AT&T might say you're committing fraud.

Runt888

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2008
Maybe you go thru data like water and want the Unlimited plan.

What you're suggesting to do is to go into a store and take something without paying for it. The last time I checked, that is stealing. And don't give me the argument that you're just coming in to exchange something of equal value. If that was true you wouldn't have to do it while no one was looking.

Calling me pompous? Yes I agree, I am better than you.

What exactly is he stealing? All he wants to do is get HIS sim activated before the unlimited plan goes away.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
The Apple stores DO have 3G models on display. They're perating on wifi though. You won't have to ask if they're 3G, you'll be able to see the black strip

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
Two things to consider:

1. Apple Store iPhones have had their SIM card slots glued shut since shortly after the original iPhone went on display. People kept stealing the SIMs. I wouldn't expect the iPad 3Gs to be any different.

2. Apple Store devices run special images that are locked down (with controls tighter than are what are available publicly). Even if you got your SIM into an iPad 3G, I'd be surprised if Apple hasn't locked down the area of the iPad where you can modify the data plan. If not, customers playing around with the iPad could way too easily "accidentally" cancel/modify the device's AT&T demo data plan.

I would bet that Apple store employees have simply removed the microsims from the ipads. The iphones need the sim in order to work as a phone, the ipad does not. There is no "demo ATT data plan" the 3G ipads on display are running wifi. I asked once when I was in the store because I was curious how fast the 3Q was.

moneyman118

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2009
How do you know? Why do you think Apple should be advertising on their site about unlimited plans knowing that anyone who tries to purchase the iPad would not be able to get that plan by the time they receive it?

There are people buying iPads daily. At every Apple store there is a priority list in which at least 10 most often 50 people a day can buy the iPad they reserved. Some if not half of these iPads sold daily are 3G ones. And last I checked it's not June 7 yet making it possible for someone to buy a 3G iPad activate it and sign up for the unlimited data for $30/month.

It's all about June 7th.

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
Wow, I can't believe anyone thinks it is actually possible to put your SIM into a display unit and activate your own plan.

Here is a nice bit of advice since you have no clue how the iPad 3G activation works:

It requires a username and password in order to access the 3G settings.

This means if you put in another SIM card, you would still be prompted for the existing AT&T login in order to change the 3G on the iPad to the new SIM. It is done this way for security reasons, and you can bet the Apple store iPads are already activated and have a login and password to prevent people from messing with the 3G settings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.