Do you think Macbook pros are over priced?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Cyberheart, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Cyberheart macrumors member

Cyberheart

I want to know the opinions on the people who are here.

2. iZero macrumors regular

No. They are not a casual laptop. They are a professional level machine, that people wanting to do basic tasks, really don't need. They are an investment, not so much a "toy". The technology to develop a machine of this caliber and quality is not cheap. The support and warranty the machine comes with, should any problems somehow/someday arise, is outstanding. I know of no other manufacturer that will replace or repair the machine for free, no hassle or run around involved, for that number of years. It's actually very impressive that something of this power, quality, and longevity, comes for the price it does. It's a good investment for anyone needing a tool for the type of work it's designed to do. It's a bad one, in most cases, for casual users. Much less machine is needed to do simple everyday tasks...

Edit: It's impressive to me, at least. No doubt some probably take issue with it. There are who people want much more than they need, for much less than it's probably worth.

3. wonder-boy macrumors newbie

wonder-boy

I just bought my MBP on Sunday, love the machine. I work in a computer repair centre, not even the most expensive Sony vaio looks and feels as good as this machine does.

In terms of bang for buck it is a very very fast machine, i5 CPU and 4GB of RAM - it doesn't hang about.

I'm totally with what izero said, the mbp wasn't designed for you to go on facebook and a bit of word documents. It can do this with ease but its really meant for the heavy work. I could probably do with jus the macbook, but personally i love the looks of the mbp and the speed.

4. Cyberheart thread starter macrumors member

Cyberheart

I could not agree with you anymore :) They also use mercury free products just to build the macbook it self its funny when pc users argue that macs are over priced.. PCs are cheap thats why they suck and always will.

5. Cyberheart thread starter macrumors member

Cyberheart

I just love everything about it... The looks the speed and the OS itself when i had a pc i put more time repairing it then using it... In the mac you have a whole world to explore in creativity. Thank you for the post :)

6. iZero macrumors regular

Well.. To be fair I wouldn't say all PC's suck :) They are designed with an entirely different mindset. A MBP is designed to be productive for years. Some still use their 5-6 year old MBP's with no issues (aside from age), today. PC's are cheaper, and I feel, designed to cost less, for those casual users. It's just a different market :) I have a Windows machine I use for gaming and a few other tasks I can't (or it's unwise to) do on my Macs. It's a great machine if I'm honest :)

Different doesn't necessarily mean better, or worse :) It's all in who's buying it, and why they are buying it :) To me, it's silly to buy a 500 dollar Windows laptop for professional tasks that would beat it to death and cause trouble, where buying the MBP would save time and money, and headaches. To me, it's also silly to buy a 3,000 dollar MBP to game or chat on Facebook when a PC could do that for a fraction of the cost, and in the case of games, MUCH better than a Mac :) But everyone is different and feels how they feel about it!

7. arcite macrumors 6502a

arcite

Cairo, trapped in a pyramid with my iphone
    IMO Apple charges a markup for their brand of about 30%, but as with most luxury brands, you get what you pay for.

8. wonder-boy macrumors newbie

wonder-boy

i defense of the humble PC, my system has never went down, go to most pc manufacturers and you will have to fix the thing when the shoddy built quality fails you.

Also with windows 7 and some care and attention your pc will just be great. But it does require you to know what your doing, as i said the amount of software problems that users get into in windows is amazing, its not windows its the daft users! lol

But woow the mbp is just sexy!

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I don't think that the machines themselves cost too much, just the ~10% premium added on top of the US prices :mad:

10. Cyberheart thread starter macrumors member

Cyberheart

i could agree with you on what you said but from my personal experience its not for me hahha..

11. Cyberheart thread starter macrumors member

Cyberheart

With windows there is alot of software this is good for people who know what they are doing or sometimes experimenting. But also there are many viruses written for windows that require you to get antivirus software and even then your not protected from all the things written for it from day to day basis. But some people just want a machine where they can put and creative their imagination in and that is called the mac.

12. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Are the MBPs expensive? Yep
    Are they overpriced? Nope

Just because x costs more than y, it doesn't automatically make x overpriced.

13. Cyberheart thread starter macrumors member

Cyberheart

If they lowered a little bit on the macbook pros i think it would be fair i do agree that macs are a bit over priced but i think its way worth the money.

Like for example the low end 15" MBP is 1799.. if they made that price to 1499 and the 13" to 999 i think that would be perfect and affordable... But thats just my opinion please do not get me wrong :D

14. Cyberheart thread starter macrumors member

Cyberheart

Perfectly said :D

15. killjoys macrumors member

I honestly think if Apple reduced the price of all their MB lines by say, $100, everything would definitely feel more affordable towards consumers.

I think a lot of the time, it's the seemingly large price difference between PC & Mac laptops that turn people towards PC's more often. A $100 price drop, IMO, would make a lot of people turn to a Mac on their next purchase.

Though, I'm no expert in business, I know a $100 price drop may decrease revenue for Apple, so it's potentially a bad idea.

That all being said, over priced? Somewhat. But not to an extreme length at all.

16. Cyberheart thread starter macrumors member

Cyberheart

Sorry to say man but yes $100 will be a really bad idea lol

17. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Here the base 13" MBP is £999. Too much really. Should be £100 less, then it is still more expensive than equivalent PCs, but the extras like unibody, multitouch etc would still make it worth it.

People complain that the £/€ is out of proportion with US$, but I point out that AppleCare isn't as important here as good old consumer rights can be used instead with a bit of know how. Saves some wonga!

I hope to upgrade just before I stop being a student, takes it down to £860 (plus a 3 year warranty as standard). My future employer offers a small advance before you start :).

18. Cyberheart thread starter macrumors member

Cyberheart

in the US if you are a college student you get 250 off when you buy a mac.

19. killjoys macrumors member

Well, I'm comfortable with the pricing in the US, but in Australia the prices are a fair bit higher.
    Base 15" - $2100
    High end 15" - $2500
    17" - $2900

as opposed to $1800, $2200 and $2500 respectively.

Edit: To make my point clearer, I'm really talking about Australian prices, which are higher because of GST (Goods & Services Tax).
    If Australian prices were closer to the US, I wouldn't think they were overpriced at all and wouldn't need to be cheaper than they already are.

20. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Never heard that. I can see US educational prices from the UK. It's $50 off a MB, $100 off a MBP. Am I missing something?

21. iZero macrumors regular

Not that I can tell. Last I saw these were the prices. Could have changed I guess, but I wouldn't think so.

22. Cyberheart thread starter macrumors member

Cyberheart

yes its diffrent in the US when i bought my 15" macbook they took off 150 dollars but if i would have bought the 17" for 2400 they would have taken 250 off.. It works different in the usa i guess.. Our tax is large here maybe thats why.

23. hystery macrumors member

Definitely no. Before 2010 models with i series came, I had bought one from HP (it was Envy 15 with i7 720m) because I thought Macs are overpriced.
    Envy was overpriced. Fans were always noisy, speakers were worse than MacBook pro 13", first of all because of the noise I even couldn't hear anything from the laptop even with volume maxed lol. Its 'fake macbook pro' looking wasn't too bad, but soon realized in detail it was really cheesy and creaky.

Then I sold it and got MacBook Pro. Still using it and have no complaints.
    Some say only advantage to have Macs is it just look good, but that's not quite right, it look good and well designed including how it works.
    It is just worth.

24. iZero macrumors regular

Indeed it has changed, sorry :) The most expensive MBP before customization, you'll now get $200 off, rather than $100.

Edit: With customization to the highest specs (minus SSD) and price, it seems it's still $200 off the $3,000 or so that it was full price. Not bad!
    Screen shot 2011-03-15 at 5.11.40 AM.png

25. 6pic macrumors newbie

Do you think Macbook pros are over priced?

If this is true then I would like to know if there is any such offer for Indian student.:p:D:pA comprehensive preview of the Mac Book Pro is coming up in few days.