Do you think new MBP's have HDMI; current solutions for HDMI?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mxulive, Feb 10, 2011.

1. mxulive macrumors newbie

I was wondering if you guys think the next iteration of the MBP will have HDMI built in or do you think they will keep mini-displayport? Secondly, I bought an mini-displayport to HDMI cable from monoprice but there is no sound... I was wondering if anyone knows any solutions to get both picture and sound from the laptop to my TV.

Thanks.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

What laptop do you have?
    The most recent ones do have sound with HDMI I believe
    The older ones do not, and you have to get your sound separately

3. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

I think only the most recent generation MBPs will output sound via HDMI. I bought a Griffin HDMI & DVI adaptor (expensive, yowza!) which will handle sound.

Note - even if you have the right MBP & adaptor, you probably will still need to specify the sound output port in the Sound preference pane.

4. mxulive thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys. I bought my 13" Macbook Pro new in September 2010 so it should be the latest version. How is the sound quality through the Griffin adaptor?

5. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

Certainly not - I'm 100% sure they will keep the Mini DisplayPort

6. axu539 macrumors 6502a

It's doubtful HDMI will show up. HDMI is actually a fairly crappy connection that costs the manufacturer money to implement. Displayport (or mini displayport), on the other hand, allows for MUCH higher resolutions, and it is free to use.

7. haruhiko, Feb 10, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2011

haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

Yes, but nobody uses it except Apple, and I myself have to pay for the third party adaptor to output A/V through an HDMI cable. It means that Apple has transferred the cost of HDMI to you.

And how about the VGA port? Do manufacturers have to pay anybody to implement it? If not, why Apple doesn't include it? MBP is a great machine, but before you pay for the peripherals, it actually cannot output video to any video projector or TV. :(

8. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

Exactly.
    Apple could of course have implemented one HDMI-port, one VGA-port and one DVI-port on the MBP. This, however, would make the computer more bulky and less minimalistic, and it's very unlikely that Apple would do that. I wish they would include those adapters for free, especially when you bought the top-end models, but that's obviously too much to ask for.

9. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

Yes, I just need them to bundle at least the VGA adaptor in the package. I understand why they don't include HDMI.

10. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

Go to nest buy het a dynes cable and dynes hdmi cable can get both for 50

I opted for rockfish hdmi it cost 99 nit worth it

11. axu539 macrumors 6502a

Honestly, the HDMI cable is only good for outputting on a TV. That is not what a MacBook Pro is typically used for (notice the Mac Mini does have one). Displayport can do all of what VGA and DVI can do. Apple likes unification and minimalism. Having a minidisplayport that is able to supply the functionality of all those ports is perfect for them.

Also, many manufacturers use displayport.

12. axu539 macrumors 6502a

Or go to Amazon and get a generic HDMI cable for under $5. As long as it's the most recent HDMI standard, these cables are pretty much all the same.. There is no HDMI cable out there worth $50.

13. cuestakid macrumors 68000

Dell uses it on several laptops and monitors
    http://search.dell.com/results.aspx...srd=False&ipsys=False&advsrch=False&~ck=Tanav

http://search.dell.com/results.aspx...~srd=False&ipsys=False&advsrch=False&~ck=anav

Asus uses it on at least one monitor
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236091

HP uses it on laptops as well

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/s...exp/hhoslp/psg/notebooks/ENVY/ENVY14be_series

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/s...odexp/hhoslp/psg/notebooks/ENVY/ENVY14_series

So while I think that using DisplayPort is an inconvenience, there are not the only people using it.

14. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Its not the use of minidisplayport that causes inconvenience, its the lack of hdmi, and the fact that after buying a premium and overpriced machine, u still need to pay for extra features (cables...) which come standard in other laptops, even cheaper laptops

15. axu539 macrumors 6502a

more ports = larger logic board = larger case. Apple prides itself in the thinness of its computers, and it won't sacrifice that thinness for a port that really isn't used all that often by most people. As I said earlier, the Mac Mini does have an HDMI port, but the Mac Mini is also very commonly used as a media center.

16. ctyhntr macrumors 6502

ctyhntr

Is mini DisplayPort the VHS, and HDMI the Betamax in terms of licensing, but in specs it's the reverse?

17. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

Interesting comparison :D

18. chugg macrumors regular

The 13" Acer TimelineX is smaller, lighter, has an i5, ATi DISCRETE video card, HDMI, THREE USB ports, VGA, Ethernet, and a memory card slot. Are you telling me Apple's engineers aren't even as good as Acer's? They can't enlarge that port by half a centimeter?

Justify all you like but the only reason display port even exists is typical Apple stubborness. Literally NO manufacturers use this stupid "standard" (please don't show me the list of companies that "support" it). There is absolutely zero reason to support display port over HDMI other than to make more money - not that it's an invalid reason; just don't try to justify this as somehow benefiting a consumer or that it's due to technical limitations that some of the brightest engineers in the world aren't capable of solving.

19. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

how is ditching minidisplayport for hdmi an increase in the number of ports?
    and as chugg said, The 13" Acer TimelineX is smaller, lighter, has an i5, ATi DISCRETE video card, HDMI, THREE USB ports, VGA, Ethernet, and a memory card slot. Are you telling me Apple's engineers aren't even as good as Acer's?

20. Tikkabhuna macrumors newbie

Displayport has a higher bandwidth which I believe is required for the ACD's resolution, 2560 x 1600. Can't find the article now but HDMIs bandwidth is 10.2Gbit/s and displayport's is 17.28Gbit/s. That's the reason why I doubt they'll scrap the displayport.

21. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

A 2 sec search on Google gives you the following wikipedia article:

Version 1.4HDMI 1.4 was released on May 28, 2009, and the first HDMI 1.4 products were available in the second half of 2009.[54][109] HDMI 1.4 increases the maximum resolution to 4K × 2K (3840×2160p at 24 Hz/25 Hz/30 Hz and 4096×2160p at 24 Hz, which is a resolution used with digital theaters); an HDMI Ethernet Channel (HEC), which allows for a 100 Mb/s Ethernet connection between the two HDMI connected devices; and introduces an Audio Return Channel, 3D Over HDMI (most HDMI 1.3 devices will only support this for 1080i,[110] exceptions include graphics cards in computers and the PS3), a new Micro HDMI Connector, expanded support for color spaces, with the addition of sYCC601, Adobe RGB and Adobe YCC601; and an Automotive Connection System.[54][111] HDMI 1.4 supports several stereoscopic 3D formats including field alternative (interlaced), frame packing (a full resolution top-bottom format), line alternative full, side-by-side half, side-by-side full, 2D + depth, and 2D + depth + graphics + graphics depth (WOWvx),[51][112][113] with additional top/bottom formats added in version 1.4a . HDMI 1.4 requires that 3D displays support the frame packing 3D format at either 720p50 and 1080p24 or 720p60 and 1080p24.[113] High Speed HDMI 1.3 cables can support all HDMI 1.4 features except for the HDMI Ethernet Channel.[51][112][113]

22. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

not only you're wrong as the other poster said, but minidisplayport is converted to hdmi anyway, which means it adapts to the hdmi speed.

23. Tikkabhuna macrumors newbie

Yet if a HDMI port was used surely it couldn't increase the bandwidth to DisplayPort speeds using a HDMI > DP converter?

24. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

There is a very valid reason - the displayport supports VGA/DVI/HDMI which allows for connecting to a wide range of devices; where HDMI supports a much more limited set. It's an elegant solution that balances functionality with design.

25. Verix macrumors regular

I bought the cheapest minidisplayport to hdmi adapter that also carried audio over on ebay. 7$ I think excl shipping. Not a single problem with the adapter.

Also, ANY HDMI cable works. The cheaper ones have just a worse built quality (my brother pulled a cheaper HDMI cable with some force out of the TV and the pins stuck in the tv, lol), buying 2 5$ HDMI cables is still vastly cheaper than buying 1 of 50$ though.