Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2010
In America
They also create those rumors that end up on the front page

http://www.tuaw.com/2008/03/06/phil-schiller-apple-rumormonger/

Also, wasn't their someone of this forum back in 2007 that complained about how when you synced your iPhone, it said "sync in progress" (in lower case letters), and some time after Apple release a new update and one of the changes they made was to capitalize "Sync in Progress".

I do think Apple does browse this (and other) forum.

Edit:

iPhone Used to Browse MacRumors.com? May 2007
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/307491/

LOL, that's a good one. I bet Apple execs are laughing it up right now.

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
99.9% of Apple Employees have no more clue about what Apple will do next than we do. I'm sure some of them read this site just to get an idea of what might be coming next.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Just wondering, how do you KNOW they do. Your level of certainty makes me curious about your source. :confused:

I almost used that word "know" then realized I needed to chose more appropriate wording.

However, one could extrapolate that knowledge from the previously quoted post.

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2010
In America
99.9% of Apple Employees have no more clue about what Apple will do next than we do. I'm sure some of them read this site just to get an idea of what might be coming next.

Nice stat, where did you get that from, Gumby?

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

It is probably against company policy to create a username and post on these forums if you work for Apple. They probably have a specific team that views it for information about leaks, etc. Who knows? Maybe someone in this thread works for Apple. :)

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
If I worked at Apple I would not only read these threads, I would post misinformation all the time. Yes, I'm an ******.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
Apple people probably are kept in a bubble and not allowed to communicate with the outside world. This goes for the designers as well. We'll know Tuesday if this is true or not. ;)

spiralynth

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2008
Apple declined to comment on the rumor sites. But the company has been known to take them very seriously.

When a Macrumors.com visitor posted a schematic drawing of a new case for the PowerMac line of computers, site founder Arnold Kim got a subpoena demanding that he give up any information on the person who posted the drawing.

"I didn't want to get someone in trouble, but I talked to some people and they said the wisest decision was to cooperate," said Kim, 28, a medical intern at the University of North Carolina Hospitals. He gave authorities the poster's e-mail address.

http://articles.latimes.com/2003/jan/07/business/fi-rumors7

Yumunum

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2011
U.S.
They could be reading this right now... lol.

Honestly though, I do think there's a good chance some of Apple's top people read through internet forums like this. If you think about it, you really couldn't get better feedback anywhere else. Atleast, when it comes to the tech-nerds.

It really doesn't take that much reading through one of the subforums here to get a grasp on what MOST techie people think about current and future products. You may not agree with this, but maybe if you think about it, you'll realize there really isn't much variety when it comes to our geek opinions.

They don't have to scurry around a billion websites to get the idea that most of us want feature X or Y. If it's at all important, it's most likely mentioned here. Or if it's a debatable topic, you could probably see all sides of the arguments here. Big screen or small screen on the iPhone 5? That's debated in basically every thread. Just an example.

Now you might say we're the minority, and we don't matter, but just take a moment and think about all the consumers out there that don't know anything. Think of completely dumb statements you've heard them say, or weird things they've heard about [tech product]. Where are they getting these crazy ideas from? Other techies of somesort. When a seemingly more knowledgable person tells a normal consumer something, it spreads like wildfire. Now my example showed the negative effect of this (fanboys of other products spreading craziness) but I think you still see what I'm saying, and if you were to tell someone valuable, unbiased information about a product, they'd believe that too. The example is just more relatable to you, because I'm absolutely sure you've had an experience like that and you remember it because of how profoundly mislead the person was.

If you're a father or mother of a household and your family has mostly iPhones, I'm guessing that's because of you. (I don't know your situation, but you might be able to relate to this) You just helped sell X amount of iPhones, simply because of how Apple convinced YOU it was the best product. Realize this happens everyday in millions of homes, groups of friends, ect., and I think you'll see you're more important than you think.

This is a long post and I realize I got off-topic to some extent, but what I'm really trying to say, is: You're more valuable to Apple than you know, and Apple can't study you enough. Online forums are insanely popular ways for us to communicate, and it's an open-window into our thoughts, needs, and wants

Peace to you

Last edited:

cheesesteak22

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2011
Just wondering, how do you KNOW they do. Your level of certainty makes me curious about your source. :confused:

How long did it take for the head of security who investigated the missing iPhone 5 to take down his LinkedIn profile after the story hit the rumor sites? That happend WELL before that whole story hit mainstream news outlets.

iEnvy

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
DFW
I'm pretty sure they do, especially after Gizmodo's fiasco last year. Maybe this is part of the reason we haven't heard of any definite iPhone 5 design leaks. If Apple does release a redesign iPhone 5 on Tuesday, this may be the case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.